"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2019, 06:36 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Fresh herbs year round in northern climate

I have been growing this Basel for almost a year, unfortionaly the sage has died

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3301.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	36273  

gas grill, smoker, stove, oven, and sometimes a fire pit.
bradger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 09:27 AM   #2
Senior Cook

What are you using for a lighting setup? How many watts does it use?

Sage is a perennial herb for me. I have it in one of my garden beds and it comes back every year. Same for oregano, thyme, chives, and I'm hoping rosemary. I would like to grow some indoors for year round access to parsley, cilantro, and basil.

bbqcoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:23 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqcoder View Post
What are you using for a lighting setup? How many watts does it use?

Sage is a perennial herb for me. I have it in one of my garden beds and it comes back every year. Same for oregano, thyme, chives, and I'm hoping rosemary. I would like to grow some indoors for year round access to parsley, cilantro, and basil.
Here's ATK's review...

Old 08-21-2019, 12:52 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Bradger, Basil and Thai basil are what inspired me to begin growing hydroponics in the off-season, as there is nothing like having the fresh herbs!

I have tried many herbs indoors through the years. I only grew sage when cloning cuttings for others (as bbq noted, it's a perennial, and I don't really need it in the hydro, plus, it is one of many plants that seems to attract spider mites. Just in the short time in the cloner, the spider mites would appear. Others I've grown, which grew vigorously, but attracted the spider mites, were holy basil, rau ram, and rice paddy herb. As soon as these plants were removed, the SMs disappeared - would not spread to everything else. Same thing with spearmint attracting aphids, which would gather on the stems, not the leaves! They would grow like wildfire, yet the aphids would be covering the stems! Yet peppermint never got them.

The basils I have found best for growing indoors are Serrata and Gecofure. Both of these are compact, bushy varieties, the latter a Genovese type, and both with delicious flavors. And for Thai, the Siam Queen has the best flavor, and is the most commonly found variety. Lemon basils grow sort of leggy, and have a tendency to bolt quickly, indoors or out. Here's a photo of some of the overgrown basil in my hydro - the Serrata in the L rear, and the Gefofure that large plant in the front.
Basil, and some other stuff. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Basil does great for about 5-6 months, then begins to go downhill. But I don't need it much past 7 months - I root a bunch of cuttings for outside, and when that takes, the inside stuff isn't used.

Other herbs I have grown indoors are chives, parsley, dill, green perilla, cutting celery, cilantro (can't grow this outside!), epazote, and Syrian oregano, these last two needing frequent trimming. Parsley and cutting parsley get huge roots - I found that curly parsley is better, in that the root system is much smaller. Same thing in soil pots, for the parsley, as the flat leaf gets rootbound quickly. I had 3 plants in a fairly large windowsill box one time, and in early June they were rootbound! The regular curly (not triple) did not do this, even by the end of the season.

Rosemary is something I tried growing indoors many years ago, but it would rootbound within a year, even in a large pot. So I grew it in the garden, and would cover it when temps got under 20°. My old plant died a couple years ago, because the cover blew off, and I couldn't get out to cover it, due to a surgery. So last year I started with 3 new ones, one inside, in a 4 1/2 gal fabric pot, the other two outside, one left uncovered, and it survived 7° temps! The one in the pot did the same thing as before - rootbound in less than a year, but got huge! About 4 times the size of those in the ground. Still, not worth repotting yearly. I'll stick with covering, and hopefully won't have any problems doing that in the future!
Old 08-21-2019, 01:39 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperhead212 View Post
I only grew sage when cloning cuttings for others
Can you elaborate a bit on how you do cuttings? Is it simple as taking a branch, dip in water & then root powder, then plant in soil?

Let's say that I have a basil plant that has gone to seed or is about to. Could I take a cutting and plant it to get a new plant or will the new plant go to seed right away?
bbqcoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 02:04 PM   #6
Executive Chef

I just got dill, basil and parsley started in my aquaponics for the fall.
The dill ill let bet big then freeze ( since it freezes so well). The others Ill used and cut as I need it.

I also take cuttings from the sage and rosemary which take nicely in the system. Ill usually transplant them to soil in the spring and get them outside .

I also root Fig tree cuttings in the system. I went from 1 tree to 5 trees this way. I'll probably do it again this year. Not that I need any more fig trees, but it gives me something to do, keeps my thumbs green during the winter months.
larry_stewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 03:00 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

ddqcoder
i used a basic terrarium set up. i used Ferry Mores 24 watt florescent lights they are set on a timer to have light for 8 hours or full sun. i have something else set up for seed planting. this was an experiment going to add more next year.
I tried growing scallions from the left over bulb after using the rest in a recipe. It didn't survive.

Old 08-21-2019, 04:45 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

sorry meant bbqcoder

Old 08-21-2019, 06:24 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqcoder View Post
Can you elaborate a bit on how you do cuttings? Is it simple as taking a branch, dip in water & then root powder, then plant in soil?

Let's say that I have a basil plant that has gone to seed or is about to. Could I take a cutting and plant it to get a new plant or will the new plant go to seed right away?
I used to root cuttings in soil, after dipping in rooting powder, but it took several weeks to find out if it had worked; either they finally got some new growths, or the cutting began browning. If you want to root some basil, cut it back, if it flowering all over, and you can't find new growth. Otherwise, cut short pieces, maybe 4", with 2" stripped, for the rooting, dip in the powder or gel, and put in a hole in the soil, and press it around the cutting. Set into an area with indirect lighting for a few weeks, until you begin to see new growth. Carefully transplant to it's final pot, making sure the roots look good.

Years ago, they came out with these cloners, small enough for home users, and I got one. It finally bit the dust (it was about 20 years old, so didn't owe me anything!), and I made one, from a 4 gal bucket, drilling holes in the lid. Here are some photos, showing the the holes, with the baskets and rubber inserts, which hold the cuttings when inserted. Inside, a powerhead has an emitter screwed into it, which sprays the cuttings in the baskets. I have seen roots appear in as little as 2 days, and usually in 4 to 5 days, using this. I use a solution called CLONEX, which is the best of the ones I have tried - the owner of the local hydroponics store has given me samples of a number of them, and this is the one I buy. It's not organic, but I'm only using 5 tsp/bucket, and very little gets into the plants, by the time I'm harvesting.
Cloner, with Serrata basil and Syrian oregano rooted, and marjoram cutting just put in front. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

You can't really see the roots in that basil to the left, since it's blurred, but it's there.
Close-up to cloner, showing the sprayer in the center, and rooted basil. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

These roots you can see! All these things were just 3-4" cuttings at first.

Cloning basket, showing the roots, over 12 inches long. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Here are the rooting compounds that I have used. The one on the left - EZ CLONE - seems to work best, though they all work, compared to just putting the cutting in.
Rooting compounds I have tried, so far. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

One thing that roots just as easily just stuck in water, as when I tried it in the cloner, was lemongrass! I just buy a clump of it in the Asian market, cut a small piece off the ends, and pull off the dry skin, then put it in 2" of water, rinsing every 2 days, or so. In 3 weeks, it is ready to plant (though some don't root as well).
Old 08-21-2019, 08:36 PM   #10
Master Chef

I live in Texas, but we get the occasional snow storm here -- maybe one per winter. I know that rosemary, oregano and thyme will survive under six inches of snow, first hand.

Those are the only ones I have personal experience with in snow conditions.

CD

Tags
fresh, herbs, lime

« Fresh Ginger | - »