Giardinera quick pickled veggies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
Does anyone have a recipe for the brine for this?

Some say lots of vinegar, others say oil?

The kind I buy at grocery are very mild pickled veggis but quite expensive..

I'm looking for just 2 week fridge pickled I think.

Thanks, Eric Austin Tx.

I thought about making this last summer but never got around to it. To start I'd try the recipe in the Blue Ball Canning Book.

Italian-style giardiniera has oil and vinegar; Chicago-style has just oil. Then you can make it hot, with hot peppers, or mild, without them. So it depends on which style you want. What kind are you looking for?

Last edited:
The stuff I get is vinegar brine too. It makes a wicked pot roast in the CP.

Last edited:
The question intrigued me so did a web search and there are lots of recipes. I'll make batch next week. The hot one sounds interesting.

The stuff I get is vinegar brine too. It makes a wicked pot roast in the CP.

You make a pot roast with giardinara vegetables and the brine in a crock pot? I guess I've never heard of that or tried it. That would be something new around here. Anymore details?

You make a pot roast with giardinara vegetables and the brine in a crock pot? I guess I've never heard of that or tried it. That would be something new around here. Anymore details?

Of course I can't find it now. I made it a couple years ago, it was really good. Basically a roast and a jar of giardinara in a CP. That's about it. I'll try and find the recipe. I do recall being very pleased to find a big jar of the giardinara at one of our local stores.

Last edited:
Of course I can't find it now. I made it a couple years ago, it was really good. Basically a roast and a jar of giardinara in a CP. That's about it. I'll try and find the recipe. I do recall being very pleased to find a big jar of the giardinara at one of our local stores.

I used to make a giardinara, and I had a bunch for years in the pantry. It was just vinegar and salt and sugar and no oil. I never thought to cook it with a pot roast. Now I will. Thank you so much for mentioning it. I never would have thought of it. I wonder what Dh will think of it. I'm excited to give it a try.

The only gardiniere that I ever saw that had oil in it was in Chicago, and it was meant to go on an "Italian beef" sandwich. The oil really works to keep the beef moist tasting.

I love a good, briny coupla spoonfuls of gardiniere on a salad. Just a splash of the brine to go with it, and you don't need any dressing for the salad.

This reminds me; I had better eat the big jars of chow chow that I bought in Amish country over the past 2 years before Dw sees it's beyond its best by date and chucks it out.

Last edited:
Kay, it looks very similar. I'm thinking I used some of the liquid too.

I plan to make a batch next week but want cocktail onions in mine. The little devils are a pain to peel, though. I thought about buying a jar pre-pickled to add. Is that not kosher? :ermm:

I got this from Martha Stewart sometime ago. I use , pepperoncini peppers or banana peppers

Giardiniera
2 1/2 cups white-wine vinegar
2 tablespoons coarse salt
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 bay leaf
3 whole cloves
1 teaspoon celery seeds
2 celery stalks, trimmed, peeled, sliced on the bias into 1-inch pieces
2 medium carrots, trimmed, peeled, sliced on the bias into 1-inch pieces
1/2 head cauliflower, separated into florets
1 small yellow onion, trimmed, peeled, quartered lengthwise, and halved crosswise
2 serrano peppers sliced crosswise on the bias into 1/2-inch pieces
In a large saucepan combine the vinegar, salt, sugar, bay leaf, cloves, celery seeds, and 2 1/2 cups water.
Bring to a boil. Add remaining ingredients and return to a boil.
2. Remove from the heat and cool to room temperature. Transfer to a container with a tight-fitting lid.

While putting the above recipe back in my notebook I found this one also. I don't remember trying it so can't vouch for it. but now I will have to try it.

Giardiniera (Pickled Vegetables)
Adapted from Gourmet, September 2006
Makes about 10 cups
For pickling liquid:
2 1/2 cups distilled white vinegar
3 cups water
3/4 cup sugar
5 tablespoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon dried hot red-pepper flakes
For vegetables:
1 head cauliflower (2 lb), trimmed and broken into 1- to 1 1/2-inch florets (6 cups)
1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 yellow bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
4 carrots, cut diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices (2 cups)
4 celery ribs, cut into 1-inch-thick slices (3 cups)
1 cup drained bottled whole pepperoncini (4 oz)
1 cup large brine-cured greens olives (preferably Sicilian; 6 oz)*
1/2 cup oil-cured black olives (6 oz)
Prepare pickling liquid: Bring pickling-liquid ingredients to a boil in a 3-quart nonreactive saucepan** over moderate head, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Transfer to a 4-quart nonreactive bowl and cool about 30 minutes.
Cook vegetables: Bring about 6 quarts unsalted water to a boil in an 8-quart pot. Have ready a large bowl of ice and cold water. Add cauliflower to pot and boil until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes, then transfer with a slotted spoon to ice bath to stop cooking. Cook remaining vegetables separately in same manner, allowing 4 minutes each for bell peppers*** and carrots and 2 minutes for celery. Drain vegetables in a colander and spread out on 2 large kitchen towels to dry. Add cooked vegetables, pepperoncini, and olives to pickling liquid, Weight vegetables with a plate to keep them submerged, then chill, covered, at least 1 day.

I got most of everything to make the Martha Stewart recipe, except for the white wine vinegar. I also got two serrano peppers but may just add one. They weren't expensive. I'll freeze the other and save it for pico de gallo. I'm debating adding olive oil to this, as well.

Today I happened to go by Cash and Carry and got a gallon jug of Four Monks white wine vinegar so am set to make a batch giardiniera. They did have gallon jugs of already made restaurant quality for 9 dollars, but I don't need such a large quantity.

Back
Top Bottom