Tomato Expert Needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocket_J_Dawg

Sous Chef
You will see by the photo below that I have some tomatoes that suddenly stopped growing and just remained green. (the two on the right of the red ones) :( Would anyone know the cause of this. I used Miracle Gro Premium potting mix which has fertilizer, watered regularly.
This has me stumped.

img_1298355_0_6ecdf9fc59c4263978dc22234f0d6a5b.jpg

Hmm. Leave the unripe toms on the vine until they start to color, even a bit. Pick the ones that are red, or even pink, they will continue to ripen when brought inside. It may be due to cold, or even very hot, weather. Might be sun scald. Or spider mites? Do you see any webbing?

They do look somewhat frostbitten.

Last edited:
I grow some of my toms in a huge pot, no way I could bring them in without a hand truck, but Taxy brings up another point. Is the pot too small?

The unripe ones are at the end of the vine. Pick the ripe ones and allow the nutrients to reach the green ones. Also, it looks like you are high up and close to the water. Cold winds coming in off the water could be one problem. Can you protect them at night from the cold? Place a large garbage bag over the plant. Remove in the morning so they can get the full sun. :angel:

There you go, Addie! Just make sure you remove the bag before the sun hits, otherwise they may become sauce. I think this year's tom plants are a wash, Rocket, good idea for next year.

Smoke or pollution might also be a factor.

Last edited:
Our weather here has been very erratic. Sweltering hot a week ago, then three days later we needed sweats and my house heat came on. Insane. And my tomatoes reflect it, just as yours seem to. Just when I think I'll not see another ripe one, the next week the plants (they are in the ground, NW IL) are so full I have to gear up my sauce making because all of a sudden, I have lots of ripe ones. Everyone I know in this area (NW IL, SW WI, and NE IA) have had the same thing you describe and show in your photo. I agree with pick all that are red, care for it, and I'll bet you have more in your future.

Hi Claire. Good to hear from you.

BTW, thought you might like to know. Galena, IL has been named one of the prettiest towns in the country. :angel:

Hi Claire. Good to hear from you.

BTW, thought you might like to know. Galena, IL has been named one of the prettiest towns in the country. :angel:

Only because it is! Unlike some, husband and I traveled the country looking for a new "home town" a dozen years ago, fell in love, and after both of us never staying put for very long (for me, never more than 6 years, and seldom more than 3), we're still here! Go to the town's web site.

The unripe ones are at the end of the vine. Pick the ripe ones and allow the nutrients to reach the green ones. Also, it looks like you are high up and close to the water. Cold winds coming in off the water could be one problem. Can you protect them at night from the cold? Place a large garbage bag over the plant. Remove in the morning so they can get the full sun. :angel:

Yes, Addie! I was thoughtful of this as you told.

Your friend,
~Cat

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Since moving to our condo, this is my first attempt at growing tomatoes. The lady at our local nursery recommended Bush Early Girl as a container tomato and picked out the pot. Maybe a 5 gal bucket next year. I think you all nailed it with the weather. Our balcony faces south east and the bulk of our weather comes up from the Chicago area in the summer. We haven't had any frost but just as Claire said, we have had huge fluctuations in temperature all summer.

I've picked all the red ones and I'll see how the green ones go. I can't really complain. I've picked about a dozen so far so it was a pretty good producer.

Thanks again for all the help.

Do keep us all informed. A lot of gardeners here. And they too have not had a good year for tomatoes. So everyone is interested in how the green ones do. You just may end up with a second bumper crop. :angel:

If you want a good producer, try Sweet 100, or Sweetie, if you can find them. They're cherry toms, and extremely prolific as well as tasty. I've picked gallons, and roast them for excellent sauce, as well as eating out of hand, using in salads, and if you want, you can slice them on a sandwich. They are very container-friendly, as long as you cage or stake them. I've even brought the container into the house, and had tomatoes well into February!

Last edited:
Tomatoes need lots of sun and warm temperatures to do well. If the nights are cooling down now, that could explain things. btw, green tomatoes will ripen if picked and kept in a brown paper bag with an apple. They will eventually ripen on their own, but the ethylene gas from the apple will help it along. You can also make fried green tomatoes or green tomato gratin.

I made Alix's (I think, please correct me if I'm wrong, Alix) green tomato mincemeat last year, it was wonderful!

Do keep us all informed. A lot of gardeners here. And they too have not had a good year for tomatoes. So everyone is interested in how the green ones do. You just may end up with a second bumper crop. :angel:
I removed the red ones yesterday, and was just out looking and I think one of the green ones is turning red. Or it could be my new glasses playing tricks on me. :LOL:

If you want a good producer, try Sweet 100, or Sweetie, if you can find them. They're cherry toms, and extremely prolific as well as tasty. I've picked gallons, and roast them for excellent sauce, as well as eating out of hand, using in salads, and if you want, you can slice them on a sandwich. They are very container-friendly, as long as you cage or stake them. I've even brought the container into the house, and had tomatoes well into February!

Thanks Dawg, I think I saw those at the nursery. I'll give one a shot next spring.

Tomatoes need lots of sun and warm temperatures to do well. If the nights are cooling down now, that could explain things. btw, green tomatoes will ripen if picked and kept in a brown paper bag with an apple. They will eventually ripen on their own, but the ethylene gas from the apple will help it along. You can also make fried green tomatoes or green tomato gratin.

We get sun on the balcony all day long but the last month or so the overnight temps have dropped. That could be the problem. I didn't know about the apple in the bag trick, thanks GG.

I made Alix's (I think, please correct me if I'm wrong, Alix) green tomato mincemeat last year, it was wonderful!

Thanks Dawg. I love green tomato mincemeat. I'll go on a search mission.

Back
Top Bottom