"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table

Old 03-04-2015, 02:30 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Watch out for the tomatillos, they are invasive. Ours come back every year.

What will be going in later:

cauliflower, broccoli, Brussel sprouts, kale, chard, beets, cabbage, carrots, kohlrabi, lettuces, arugula, endive/chickory, peas, beans, more beans, zucchini, corn, summer squash, winter squash (butternut, buttercup), pumpkin, radishes, lettuce, rutabaga, collards, beets, more beets, six or seven kinds of heirloom tomatoes, onions, herbs, cucumbers, potatoes, sunflowers, parsnips, salsify, bok choy, Japanese/Chinese veggies (I'd have to look at the packages), melons, garlic (already planted), okra and shallots. I think that is everything we are planting. I probably forgot something.

In a good year, we have about 90-100 days of growing season. We start a lot of stuff in the greenhouse and cold frames. Notice, we do not plant summer turnips--we like rutabaga better. They keep! If I could transplant chickpeas, I would. Supposedly SK is the largest producer of chickpeas in NA. We also plant wheat, barley and oats in the fields. I don't know how well they transplant. I tried chickpeas one year--they didn't have enough time. I also tried artichokes as an annual...that didn't work either. And of course we have rhubarb, asparagus, berries, and apples.

We are trying edamame this year as our new thing to try in the fields.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:04 AM   #12
Head Chef

Actually heading over to the garden store in a few minutes just to browse a bit, as I wait for 2 feet of snow to melt off my garden.

Peas
Cucumbers ( large for salads, Kirby's for Pickling)
Potatoes
Asparagus
Tomatoes ( large for slicing, roma for sauce and drying, grape for salads and snacking)
Eggplants ( japanese and italian)
Peppers ( mild banana type, possbly one jalepeno)
Zucchi's
Chard
Garlic
Okra ( baby bubba variety, plants only get about 1 1/2 - 2 feet high)
Leeks
Broccoli
Cauliflower
romain lettuce
String beans
Pumpkin
Spaghetti squash
Mushrooms ( Hopefully my mushroom logs produce this year)
Herbs ( rosemary, by leaf, basil, parsley, chives, sage, thyme, kafir lime, allspice)
Fruit trees and berries ( strawberries, black berries, raspberries, grapes, kiwis, apples, peaches, chestnuts, mulberries, figs, lemons, hopefully bananas)
May experiment with Hops and try brewing my own beer this year

***IM also a sucker when I go into these garden stores, so if anything else catches my eye, i will try and make room for it.***

Old 03-04-2015, 02:40 PM   #13
Master Chef

I don't garden much anymore because I'm lazy. I'll admit my flaws. However, I found an article about gardening that will probably have me make an effort to do something veggie-related this year. Thought a lot of you would enjoy reading it too. It's about how soil has microbes that make you happy!

Soil Microbes And Human Health ~ Learn About The Natural Antidepressant In Soil
Old 03-04-2015, 03:46 PM   #14
Master Chef

Kathleen, that was a cute video about 'growing' M&Ms.

CG, interesting article....thanks for sharing. No wonder playing in the dirt makes me happy!
Old 03-04-2015, 10:06 PM   #15
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Kathleen, do you still have your community garden plot? Such great plans you're making.

The only produce we have room for is a couple of tomato plants and some herbs. The tomato plants are already waist high with lots of blossoms and 3 itty bitty tomaotes. I like curly leaf parsley, as I think it has much more flavor than flat leaf Italian, and I must have my chives and basil along with thyme.
My Meyer lemon tree in the yard is my all year treasure.
I do still have my community garden plot. Some of the people there have the most awesome gardens. It's motivating. I am growing most of my herbs and lettuce in my front flower bed though. Just easier that way! Good choice of fresh tomatoes! If I could only grow one thing, it would be tomatoes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookbrat View Post
I started a tray of leeks this weekend. Tomatoes, tomatillos, ground cherries, Asian eggplants and peppers (early jalapenos, Hungarian wax, green bell and some Jimmy Nardello sweet Italian frying peppers) will be started the first week of April. They'll go into high tunnels, the only way I can get them to ripen in our short season. I'll plant broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage a week or so later. It'll be after Memorial Day before anything will be set out. We have been fighting scab on our potatoes no matter what we do, so we're going to try growing them in cages with compost, straw and rotted shavings from the post mill down the road.

Carrots, beets, zucchini, some early winter squashes (Marina di Chioggia and a kabocha), green and horticultural bush beans, and an assortment of greens will be direct seeded, and I'll try some pickling cukes....again. Then there are 400+ garlic bulbs that I planted last fall. (I am down to 14 kinds...down from 39. It's sort of an addiction.)

We'll grab corn, and acorn and butternut squash (and probably cukes, sighhhh...) from a u-pick that's an hour away but in a whole different climate.

Kathleen, I always start a few Early Girls. I can count on them even when it's a bad year....and they always taste great. Trying one called New Girl this year. I'm also looking for the perfect open pollinated, short-season tomato. I've been saving seeds from Black Krim, Legend and Stupice, and am trying a new red cherry called Sweetie. Gotta have a couple of Sun Sugars, too (hybrid, but soooo good!).
Wow...lots of things! I've not saved seeds yet. Perhaps this year!

I have to grow Early Girls. Like you, I can always count on them and they do taste great. One of the flavors of "home."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Kathleen, that was a cute video about 'growing' M&Ms.

CG, interesting article....thanks for sharing. No wonder playing in the dirt makes me happy!
I wish I knew a small child to grow M&Ms with. So fun.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:16 PM   #16
Master Chef

I have tiny little grape sized tomatoes on my two container tomato plants. The plants themselves are only about a foot tall, but they're doing very well so far. I've had really good luck with patio tomatoes so sticking with them.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:48 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

It would be easier to say what we aren't growing.

Oh, but that's right, it is a luxury to be able to grow one's own veggies.

Weather has reached the temps for tapping the maple trees. Let the sap start running!
Old 03-14-2015, 03:24 PM   #18
Master Chef

CWS, "saps" have been running in my neighborhood for weeks.

It may not be a "luxury" to grow your own veggies, but I think it is a blessing. Whether she was growing vegetables, flowers, or weeds, my Mom made sure when she planted in the spring she also "planted" her favorite garden sign:

Kiss of the sun for pardon. Song of the birds for mirth. You're closer to God's heart in a garden than any place else on earth. ~ Dorothy Frances Gurney (1858 - 1932)
Old 03-14-2015, 06:09 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
CWS, "saps" have been running in my neighborhood for weeks.

It may not be a "luxury" to grow your own veggies, but I think it is a blessing. Whether she was growing vegetables, flowers, or weeds, my Mom made sure when she planted in the spring she also "planted" her favorite garden sign:

Kiss of the sun for pardon. Song of the birds for mirth. You're closer to God's heart in a garden than any place else on earth. ~ Dorothy Frances Gurney (1858 - 1932)
I love that.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:38 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
I love that.
I love that quote! I think I need to make a wooden sign to put on the corner of the garden with that quote on it. Just to remind myself that it is a blessing when I am cursing how many beans, etc., I have to process.