"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Birthdays, Good Thoughts and DC Hugs

Old 04-25-2008, 03:24 PM   #1381
Master Chef

opened my mail to find a $200 check!

Old 04-25-2008, 03:24 PM   #1382
Executive Chef

Wow, I think that merits a really BIG smile, luvs!

Old 04-25-2008, 03:50 PM   #1383
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvs View Post
opened my mail to find a $200 check!
Wow! I need some mail like that!

What made me smile was a post on another forum where someone mentioned they knew a person who named their daughter Jinger (pronounced Ginger) and all I could think of was my Chinese exchange student singing "Jingle Bells":

Jinger bells, jinger bells, jinger are the way....

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 05:17 PM   #1384
Master Chef

yeah, that was great mail. glad i opened that!
Old 04-26-2008, 09:26 AM   #1385
Chef Extraordinaire

when i got home last night, my little buddy was all dressed up in army gear, slung his rifle and saluted me. then he marched on.

so i knelt down and asked him to give me a hug, that i hadn't had a hug all day. so he gave me a really big squezee hug, with the rifle (one of my wife's old practice rifles from high school days in the drum and bugle corps) bashing me on the nose.
he remarked, in a litlle, disbelieving but inquisitive voice, "no one gave you a hug at work today?"
so i repled, " no, no hugs. but they do give me money so we can pay for our house, and food, and electricity, and toys, for you and mommy".

he thought for a second, marched back over to me, wrapping his arms around my neck and climbing on, saying "well, then i'll give you hugs since no one else does."

i said to him, "why thank you. you know, hugs are worth much more than money".

to which he replied with almost the condescending assurity and inocent wisdom of a 4 year old, "of course. i know that dad..."
Old 04-26-2008, 09:51 PM   #1386
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
when i got home last night, my little buddy was all dressed up in army gear, slung his rifle and saluted me. then he marched on.

so i knelt down and asked him to give me a hug, that i hadn't had a hug all day. so he gave me a really big squezee hug, with the rifle (one of my wife's old practice rifles from high school days in the drum and bugle corps) bashing me on the nose.
he remarked, in a litlle, disbelieving but inquisitive voice, "no one gave you a hug at work today?"
so i repled, " no, no hugs. but they do give me money so we can pay for our house, and food, and electricity, and toys, for you and mommy".

he thought for a second, marched back over to me, wrapping his arms around my neck and climbing on, saying "well, then i'll give you hugs since no one else does."

i said to him, "why thank you. you know, hugs are worth much more than money".

to which he replied with almost the condescending assurity and inocent wisdom of a 4 year old, "of course. i know that dad..."

buckytom, thanks for sharing stories about your son. How blessed you are to have such a sweet little guy.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:35 PM   #1387
Chef Extraordinaire

Went with my daughter,Ethan and Olivia to Mickies Grove, it's a small zoo and small carnivale area for children..We had so much fun..The kids rode everything and oh did they love the animals...Listening to them giggle and laugh, just made me so happy..In fact watching all the little kids have fun made me smile.

kadesma
Old 04-27-2008, 10:06 AM   #1388
Master Chef

BT, that is enough to make anyone smile!!

kads, I'm so glad that you had suck a fun day. I wish my boys had a grandma like you when they were growing up.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:26 AM   #1389
Master Chef

well, BT, there is hope for you after all..........sounds like you have one heck of a son.....I'm teaching 3 & 4 year olds now and it's such a challenge but fun as well....they are excited by life in general and we lose that innocence and sense of wonder so quickly....spend a day with 3 and 4 year olds and it's so easy to recapture their excitement at living life to the fullest
Old 04-27-2008, 11:36 AM   #1390
Master Chef

I also have to admit that since working with the 3 & 4 year olds when the parents come to pick them up we 3 teachers must be smiling cause the parents have noticed and have commented that we must have had a great day and I guess that we have.........

« Finally | - »