"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Birthdays, Good Thoughts and DC Hugs

Old 05-25-2008, 07:54 PM   #1621
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Here Buck and I sit on our big old porch. The kittens, now just over 2 months, have had their supper. Their mommy gave them all a bath after they ate and they look so funny. Their fur is all wet and spikey. Quite the "punk" look. Now they're full of food and playing their hearts out. Tumble and Nutmeg have been dukeing out with each other. Silver has been chasing some twigs and leaves on the porch and Shadow is lovin' up his surrogate mommy, Thelma. We could watch them all night and no matter what mood we're in before watching them, we always end up smiling. Just can't "NOT" smile.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:26 PM   #1622
Chef Extraordinaire

aren't cats wonderful? thomas always makes me smile. now he is on top of monitor looking at me. he likes it up there because it is warm. soon he will lay down and put his tail over my screen. then down he goes.

babe

Old 05-26-2008, 12:47 PM   #1623
Master Chef

jake brought me a sage plant, a basil plant, & stuff to pot them, then my nurse gave me a table.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:24 AM   #1624
Master Chef

Zoe, our newest additon, always lays on her back and offers her belly to be rubbed ----and it's a very furry soft belly, too---better than any stuffed toy.........I'm sure that dogs are the same stress reducers as well.....my hubby won't allow the cats to sit on top of the monitors-----he's given a lot of engineering jargon as to how it could cause harm---the cats and I regard him with boredom and they repose once again when he's gone...we need a new computer anyway......
Old 05-27-2008, 12:32 PM   #1625
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
Here Buck and I sit on our big old porch. The kittens, now just over 2 months, have had their supper. Their mommy gave them all a bath after they ate and they look so funny. Their fur is all wet and spikey. Quite the "punk" look. Now they're full of food and playing their hearts out. Tumble and Nutmeg have been dukeing out with each other. Silver has been chasing some twigs and leaves on the porch and Shadow is lovin' up his surrogate mommy, Thelma. We could watch them all night and no matter what mood we're in before watching them, we always end up smiling. Just can't "NOT" smile.
My mom has a feral cat living in her garage that has 6 kittens that are almost 8 weeks old and they are sooo much fun. She she's been bringing them in to play everyday since they could walk so she could socialize them but the momma will not come in or let anyone touch her. I really think those kittens have helped my mom more than anything since my brother died. Like you said - you just can't "NOT" smile!
Old 05-27-2008, 03:55 PM   #1626
Executive Chef

My Dad just called (he calls me every other day) to say how excited he was that in exactly 3 weeks he will see my smiling face as I get off the plane!!
Old 05-27-2008, 04:42 PM   #1627
Chef Extraordinaire

We have a bird "condo" on the front porch - there's a little ledge under the roof, just above each of three columns, and several years ago, after a mourning dove tried to build a nest there, DH took some scrap wood trim and made a little fence, sort of, around the edges, to keep the nesting material from falling off.

There's a mourning dove in one corner (I think she has a couple of eggs) and a robin (Rockin' Robin) with four babies in the middle. Yesterday, we were sitting on the porch having a glass of wine and Rockin' Robin kept flying up with a mouthful of worms, etc., for the babies. It's hilarious to watch them pop their heads up, open wide and chirp for food
Old 05-27-2008, 04:47 PM   #1628
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
This weekend was full of smiles... had some great company come over for a visit. Got to spend some time outside with an adult beverage or two.
Paul cooked dinner AND cleaned the bathroom.
And
He played the piano as I was falling asleep last night! I love that.
Realized again that I have a wonderful hubby!
Old 05-27-2008, 04:49 PM   #1629
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
We have a bird "condo" on the front porch - there's a little ledge under the roof, just above each of three columns, and several years ago, after a mourning dove tried to build a nest there, DH took some scrap wood trim and made a little fence, sort of, around the edges, to keep the nesting material from falling off.

There's a mourning dove in one corner (I think she has a couple of eggs) and a robin (Rockin' Robin) with four babies in the middle. Yesterday, we were sitting on the porch having a glass of wine and Rockin' Robin kept flying up with a mouthful of worms, etc., for the babies. It's hilarious to watch them pop their heads up, open wide and chirp for food
i use to raise birds from eggs.. When i was 12 my mom and i found some baby starlings that had fallen out of a couch that was thrown out of an old house. the babies were scared so we took them home and raised. 5 out of the 6 lived. two years later we found some robins that needed help and so we raised them also. we feed them dry cat food soaked in water. it was soft and full of protein for them. To this day, my mom feeds all the wild birds and cats in our area. she puts out two cups of soggy cat food for the birds and then the cats eat the birds, so all in all, every one is happy.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:57 PM   #1630
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT72884 View Post
i use to raise birds from eggs.. When i was 12 my mom and i found some baby starlings that had fallen out of a couch that was thrown out of an old house. the babies were scared so we took them home and raised. 5 out of the 6 lived. two years later we found some robins that needed help and so we raised them also. we feed them dry cat food soaked in water. it was soft and full of protein for them. To this day, my mom feeds all the wild birds and cats in our area. she puts out two cups of soggy cat food for the birds and then the cats eat the birds, so all in all, every one is happy.
Ye olde food chain - it's good to be at the top, eh?

« Finally | - »