"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Birthdays, Good Thoughts and DC Hugs

Old 09-14-2008, 03:43 AM   #2031
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Awwwwwwww!

Sheesh, you made me smile again!

Barbara

Old 09-14-2008, 04:11 AM   #2032
Sous Chef

Certain people at DC-you know who you are!!!

Old 09-14-2008, 08:03 PM   #2033
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Ok,
Last week my boss decided he was going to be funny and set one of the timers for our coffee pots to go off at 5 am for me.... and hid it under a piece of paper that said Good Morning Suzi! just because he's a goofball.
Well this morning he set all 3 timers to go off within 30 seconds of each other..... and NOT near each other!!!
After running to the last one, there's a note that says, Suzi, you're the best....
AND 20 BUCKS!
wow I had a great day after that!
Old 09-14-2008, 08:09 PM   #2034
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to mikki
I got 100 dollar gas gift card from my boss, and I've only been there 6 weeks, boy did that make me smile
Old 09-15-2008, 10:45 AM   #2035
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Seeing my 14 year old (now in high school) opening the door to his 5 year old brother while dropping him off at school. It was priceless.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:42 AM   #2036
Master Chef

holding my first Russian friends, Oxana's, baby girl in my arms---so tiny.....so sweet.....so many memories.........
Old 09-16-2008, 02:52 PM   #2037
Master Chef

i love babies! can't wait to be a Mom. my Mother says wait till i'm through with school & don't get married yet.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:51 PM   #2038
Traveling Welcome Wagon

You might wonder if I'm ever going to get to the point here, but I will get there eventually! LOL

A week or so after we left on vacation I went to pay for some ebay items on PayPal. Unfortunately I had changed the password before we left and had gotten in the habit of using Robo-Fill to do the password, and I couldn't remember it. I hadn't done any PayPal stuff on my laptop, so Robo-Fill didn't have it listed on this computer. I clicked on PayPal's link to have them send me my password, but nothing happened. I tried several times, but I never got an email from them (yes, I checked my junk mail). We called them and gave them every bit of information they asked for, but they can't give it over the phone, and they won't send it by email except through that one link, which wasn't working (I had hoped that if I emailed them, they would be able to respond to that one). I appreciate that they are looking out for our safety, but I was getting very frustrated. I thought I remembered our password then, so I started typing variations of it in. Finally it told me I could pay by credit card and get my password later. So I tried that. The trouble is, we had gotten a second copy of the card, and it has a different expiration date, so they have now said we have to fix it all when we get home.

Which leads to where I was going with this...

I asked the people we owed if they would prefer to wait for us to get home and use PayPal or pay with a money order now. Some said PP and some said money order. Then James bought some new stuff, so I decided that rather than even asking, since they listed money order as a choice, I would just do money orders for the rest of them.

While in Vermont we stopped at the post office in the town where we stayed (Rutland). It was just a tiny post office inside a little gas station market, and they didn't take credit cards.

Off to another one along our route toward Washington D.C. (still in Vermont). I told him that I needed 19 money orders. He was friendly enough, but things kept messing up and he kept swearing (not at me, but at the situation), which is something that I don't like. I didn't say anything, of course, but just waited patiently. About halfway through the process, he ran into a problem and we had to start from scratch. When we finished, he had me run my card, and his machine was not working. I had literally been up all night, until 7:30 a.m. hand writing all the invoices (no printer with us) and getting the envelopes ready, so I was tired, and now I was frustrated and upset. I gathered my stuff up and walked out in tears.

(Finally she's coming to a point!)...

On my way to the car a young guy (around 20 I think) followed me out and called out to me. He said, "I have $50 if that would help." I assured him I had the money in the bank and that it was just because of their machine. I thanked him very much and said I would just go to another post office.

It seems so rare to find young people who are willing to help out like that these days. He didn't know me, but he knew I was upset, and he was willing to give me $50 to help out.

So, bless you young guy in Vermont, and thank you for making me smile.

Barbara
Old 09-17-2008, 05:13 PM   #2039
Master Chef

that's lovely, barbara.
some of us young 'uns love to give. me included!!
bless that man fer his kindness!!!
Old 09-17-2008, 05:46 PM   #2040
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Yeah luvs, I know there are plenty of good young people out there, but we usually only hear about the bad ones. So I think it is important to let the world know good people do exist! I'm glad you're one of them!

Barbara

« Finally | - »