Last thing that made you smile?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LP, I'm still kinda new here, but from what I've read about your involvement with your youth group, you will do great! :)

I've been asked to speak at our youth Service Conference (which I coordinate lunch and dinners for) regarding hospitality as a way to serve others. I am excited and nervous all at the same time. I have spoken to the youth group several times before, but usually with my hubby and smaller groups. There will be around 30 teenagers, their 20-something leaders and a few adults who wander in to see what is happening. Probably close to 50 in total! :ohmy:

My smile is that to them I am not just a pretty face, um cook! :LOL:
Listen here girl of mine:) You will wow em. I can just hear you now. And I know you will be a hit. We, all of us here at DC know you can do this so go make us proud.
ma

I've been asked to speak at our youth Service Conference (which I coordinate lunch and dinners for) regarding hospitality as a way to serve others. I am excited and nervous all at the same time. I have spoken to the youth group several times before, but usually with my hubby and smaller groups. There will be around 30 teenagers, their 20-something leaders and a few adults who wander in to see what is happening. Probably close to 50 in total! :ohmy:

My smile is that to them I am not just a pretty face, um cook! :LOL:

Wow, what an honour!

You will be fabulous LP, enjoy!

Wow, I am humbled by all the words of encouragement here. DC really is a family. I apologize I didn't respond sooner but we started the big room switch today and our computers were down for several hours.

I find out tomorrow which day or evening I speak the week of August 13 - 17.

Oh, and Bucky T, I think I will refrain from the underwear thing - this is a "youth group" after all! ;)

Addie said:
Obvioously your wife doesn't have an old copy of a certain Sears catalog with the men's section on underewear. :ohmy:

Ha! I remember that catalog, Addie! I had to show it to my mom. Didn't the guy sue Sears?

Ha! I remember that catalog, Addie! I had to show it to my mom. Didn't the guy sue Sears?

Yup, and he won. For those of you who don't know what we are talking about, there was a picture of a male model in briefs. To say he was well endowed is putting it mildly. That catalog became the talk of the country. Every woman wanted a copy of that catalog. :ohmy:

Switching gears, here. Today I've been tossing chopped veggies (bean butts, the core from the cabbage used yesterday, stalks from the chard, etc.) over the deck railing. Watching 20 hens (and 1 roo) run at "breakneck chicken speed" to reach the bounty of food had me laughing. There is a 3.5 ft high (I know, I paid for it and I paid by the foot) septic bed field between the house and the barn. It is so funny to watch the flock racing over the top of this and running as fast as their little legs can carry them to where the food is (they probably would be tasty chickens with good muscle tone...but they are NOT those kind of chickens). Who knew having chickens could be so much FUN!

Switching gears, here. Today I've been tossing chopped veggies (bean butts, the core from the cabbage used yesterday, stalks from the chard, etc.) over the deck railing. Watching 20 hens (and 1 roo) run at "breakneck chicken speed" to reach the bounty of food had me laughing. There is a 3.5 ft high (I know, I paid for it and I paid by the foot) septic bed field between the house and the barn. It is so funny to watch the flock racing over the top of this and running as fast as their little legs can carry them to where the food is (they probably would be tasty chickens with good muscle tone...but they are NOT those kind of chickens). Who knew having chickens could be so much FUN!
Now THAT made me smile :mrgreen:

Now THAT made me smile :mrgreen:
A chicken Calvary:LOL: is what comes to my mind. Some of them have their wings out for balance, more often than not, one slips on one of the lids for the septic (these are plastic lids). It can be dead-quiet in the yard, but as soon as "food starts falling from the sky" they are up and running. This flock is VERY food motivated. The Road Island Reds (these live at the DH's house, but will most likely move to the farm for the winter) are not food motivated. It is hard to herd them in before the time they want to go in because of this lack of motivation. My girls, however, are easy to manipulate if food is involved.

Last edited:
A chicken Calvary:LOL: is what comes to my mind. Some of them have their wings out for balance, more often than not, one slips on one of the lids for the septic (these are plastic lids). It can be dead-quiet in the yard, but as soon as "food starts falling from the sky" they are up and running. This flock is VERY food motivated. The Road Island Reds (these live at the DH's house, but will most likely move to the farm for the winter) are not food motivated. It is hard to herd them in before the time they want to go in because of this lack of motivation. My girls, however, are easy to manipulate if food is involved.

I know the kind of tank you are talking about. My son had one in the back yard when he lived in Vermont. His boxer puppy used to slide all over it when he tried to run across it.

CWS, your girls are motivated by food because you feed them the good stuff! You really should video tape them for us all.

Back
Top Bottom