Last thing that made you smile?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am smiling like a kid excited for their first day back at school! :):angel:

I am all ready to go into Vancouver tomorrow morning for my follow-up to my pain management program. It is the first time I have seen the group since the end of April. Some of us communicate on FB but it is not the same - we have something really big in common (chronic pain) and really "get" each other.

While I have had a lot of rough patches during the months since it ended, I know I wouldn't have gotten through it all without what we learned and the support of the staff and group members!

Well, I better get to bed because I have to be up fairly early. Oh, and I probably won't be around until late tomorrow if at all. It goes to 3:30 with 1 1/2 hour commute and I will probably need a rest. I promise I will report back Thursday! :)

All the nice things my guests said about me at my Pampered Chef party (they were asked to say one unique thing about the host [me]). According to my guests, I have a love for words, a great sense of humor, a reputation for being the "go to" person if you need help with something, a love for animals, a great cook, and compassion for others. Blush-blush (that wasn't everything that was said, but I was overwhelmed at this point and didn't register the other kind things that were said). And, I didn't have to pay them to say those things. It made me feel very blessed to be in the company of people who had such kind things to say about me. And, everyone wants to be reincarnated as one of my hens <g>.

Last edited:
CWS, just from seeing you here in DC, I would agree with all those nice things that were said about you and I would add another - you are humble! :)

Thanks, LP. When I have thought about how I want others to remember me, I want to be remembered as a compassionate person. I think touching s/one else's life and making a difference is worth a lot more than money--and btw, you've touched lives and made a difference. You've done something that money can't buy--you opened your heart and your home. The thank you +10--yes, I know, there are hurt feelings, but being family means you can let go and forgive. That's what being family is about. Let go and forgive--LP--you got "grandkiddies" that need your love, wisdom, compassion, and lots of hugs and kisses. Go love them up, LP! Family is also about history. You have history with the parents....you can make history with the kids.

Latté was sleeping on the arm of the sofa and lost her balance...she woke up hanging by a claw from the sofa. The look on her face was priceless.

PrincessFiona60 said:
Latté was sleeping on the arm of the sofa and lost her balance...she woke up hanging by a claw from the sofa. The look on her face was priceless.

Ack! Poor Latte, by one claw!

CWS, you are so right. Sometimes I think I have too much compassion. When I see someone in need, I just jump in without even thinking. In spite of all my bitchin' and complaining about the residents in this building, I wouldn't hesitate one second to help anyone of them. When I am the object of their gossip, I get feed back from those that are my real firends. They always tell me that everyone in the building really likes me and know that I would help anyone of them. There are only two people in the building that have a computer. I am one of them. I spend a lot of times looking up informaiton for them and printing it out. I hunt down bargains for them, and have even ordered stuff on my account. They do pay me back.

I often wonder why these people who have children aren't getting more help from them. Do these young folks want their parents to live in poverty? To go without their medicine? Struggle to buy groceries?
So often I will see one of the residents turn the corner loaded down with two or more heavy bags of groceries. I will run up to meet them and take the groceries on my scooter right into their apartments. Their children should be taking them shopping. They shouldn't be spending their meager funds on transportation costs.

So often there is something in the news regarding the elderly and a possible change for them. I will look it up on the computer and print it out for the bulliten board. And I do try to keep in mind at all times, "Eyes For The Elderly". I print it out in large print. Their kids aren't going to tell them. And there is no advocate for the residents in the building.

Yes, I do have compassion for the underdog. I can't stand the thought of a child going hungry. That is why I give to the food bank every month. It is my way of showing how grateful I am for having kids that look after me. So often when my kids come through the door, you will hear, "I wish I had kids like that." Any one of my kids will show up at least once a day to visit. But I know they are just checking up on me to make sure I am all right. So I just pass that along to others who aren't as fortunate. I am looking out for them since their children won't do it.

Remember when President Obama was giving $300 to every elderly person? You wouldn't believe how many children told their parents not to apply. They didn't need charity. So I printed out enough forms for the building and helped them apply. I also printed out envelopes. And for some I even provided a stamp for them. They felt so rich when that money arrived. And then I did it all over again for the second $300.

When I first moved in here, their Christmas tree was in dire need of some decorations. So I gave all the ones I had collected over the years and now they have a beautiful tree each year to see in the Community Room. Nobody knows who did it. I just brought them all downstairs and left them there. Now their holidays are a little bit brighter. :angel:

Thanks, LP. When I have thought about how I want others to remember me, I want to be remembered as a compassionate person. I think touching s/one else's life and making a difference is worth a lot more than money--and btw, you've touched lives and made a difference. You've done something that money can't buy--you opened your heart and your home. The thank you +10--yes, I know, there are hurt feelings, but being family means you can let go and forgive. That's what being family is about. Let go and forgive--LP--you got "grandkiddies" that need your love, wisdom, compassion, and lots of hugs and kisses. Go love them up, LP! Family is also about history. You have history with the parents....you can make history with the kids.
CW, you are making me cry but they are happy tears, with a smile. To be honest, I forgave both of them the day after it happened - there was stuff on both sides and like I said DH and I just needed to give them some tough love and I think I always knew if I waited long enough they would come back. I get to see the babies again on Sunday with Mom this time. I am so looking forward to it. I was never blessed with "real" children of my own but I have so many who love me like a Mom and they are giving me "grandkids". However these ones ARE my family - maybe not blood, but something even deeper. :wub:

I just have to share this with you. It brought a smile to my face.

From an email my daughter sent me this afternoon:

The other day when Steven was saying that he missed you, I explained that you had to go to the doctor for your shoulder and that it would be in a sling for a while and you wouldn’t be able to use it. He was ok with that but then stopped and said “But Mommy if I go there, I can’t carry all of his groceries!” I told him not to worry, that I was sure you wouldn’t expect him to do that. Then he was quiet and said “He won’t be able to pick me up at all?” I told him not right now but maybe at some point when your shoulder got better. He seemed to be ok after that.

Gotta get my shoulder working soon!

Last edited:
I just have to share this with you. It brought a smile to my face.

From an email my daughter sent me this afternoon:

The other day when Steven was saying that he missed you, I explained that you had to go to the doctor for your shoulder and that it would be in a sling for a while and you wouldn’t be able to use it. He was ok with that but then stopped and said “But Mommy if I go there, I can’t carry all of his groceries!” I told him not to worry, that I was sure you wouldn’t expect him to do that. Then he was quiet and said “He won’t be able to pick me up at all?” I told him not right now but maybe at some point when your shoulder got better. He seemed to be ok after that.

Gotta get my shoulder working soon!
I had somewhat of a same problem Andy. I just told my little ones, I can't pick you up but you can come crawl in my lap and sit and we can snuggle. That made everything alright with them and with me.
kades:)

a great big smile from lilly when she saw the dress i got for her. early bday present. she had a tough time with her older sister and all her gifts. i gave her a hello kitty dress. lilly cried, she wanted one too. so i got her one exactly like her sisters. she twirled, and smiled, and hugged me. then i had a big smile myself/

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom