Last thing that made you smile?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What makes a territory different from a province?
Taken from Wikipedia (easier than you scrolling for it but here is the link if you want it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provinces_and_territories_of_Canada):
"There are currently three territories in Canada. Unlike the provinces, the territories of Canada have no inherent jurisdiction and have only those powers delegated to them by the federal government.[2][3][4] They include all of mainland Canada north of latitude 60° north and west of Hudson Bay, as well as all islands north of the Canadian mainland (from those in James Bay to the Canadian Arctic islands). The following table lists the territories in order of precedence (each province has precedence over all the territories, regardless of the date each territory was created)."​

Last edited:
10 provinces, from west to east, sort of:
BC,
Alberta,
Saskatchewan,
Manitoba,
Ontario,
Quebec,
NB,
NS,
PEI,
Newfoundland and Labrador

3 territories, from west to east, north of the four westmost provinces:
Yukon
Northwest Territories
Nunavut

BC I know from living in Wash. State. Beautiful! Alberta is where they hold the Calgary Rodeo. Saskat. is farmland and prarie. It is also where most of the worlds mustard seed comes from. Ontario is the national Capital? Quebec is the one that wants to become independent with their own government and most of the folks speak French. Nova Scotia and PEI have a strong seafaring history. Bay of Fundy has the most extreme tides. Twenty-seven feet. Newfoundland and Labrador are mostly windswept, small population. The folks of Lab. took care of Americans that were stranded on 9/11 when all flights were grounded. Nova Scotia also sends a huge spruce tree to Boston every year as a thank you for helping them when they had a major disaster at the beginning of the twentieth century. Yukon and Northwest Terr. were part of the Gold Rush. Never heard of Nunavut. Don't know much about New Brunswick.

Gee, I know more about Canada that I realized. My grandfather immigrated to NS as a young man from the Indian reservation located in Maine in search of work. From there he came down to Mass. :angel:

What made me smile this morning was Steve phoning from the hospital to see if I was alright...what a lovely husband :)

I'm working a few hours a day with an executive chef--doing his prep work (veggies, etc.). On the first day, he told me to grab a uniform off the rack. For the most part, all the uniforms were XL. I wear a medium. I was "swmming" in the jacket, but I did find a medium on the rack...also finally found a pair of medium pants...yesterday the sous chef told me to go to the chef de partis (sp) to order some uniforms that fit me (I felt as if I was playing dress up in my Dad's clothes when I was a child). Turns out when the chef de partis checked to see what size I was wearing, I was wearing the sous chef's' pants...talk about being in s/one else's pants! The poor guy wondered what happened to his uniforms...he has since moved them to his locker, but, since the uniforms ordered for me won't be in for awhile, I still have his pants! One of the other chefs suggested I wear a bikini to work--NOT!!! If he weren't gay, I'd take that as sexual harassment.

BC I know from living in Wash. State. Beautiful! Alberta is where they hold the Calgary Rodeo. Saskat. is farmland and prarie. It is also where most of the worlds mustard seed comes from. Ontario is the national Capital? Quebec is the one that wants to become independent with their own government and most of the folks speak French. Nova Scotia and PEI have a strong seafaring history. Bay of Fundy has the most extreme tides. Twenty-seven feet. Newfoundland and Labrador are mostly windswept, small population. The folks of Lab. took care of Americans that were stranded on 9/11 when all flights were grounded. Nova Scotia also sends a huge spruce tree to Boston every year as a thank you for helping them when they had a major disaster at the beginning of the twentieth century. Yukon and Northwest Terr. were part of the Gold Rush. Never heard of Nunavut. Don't know much about New Brunswick.

Gee, I know more about Canada that I realized. My grandfather immigrated to NS as a young man from the Indian reservation located in Maine in search of work. From there he came down to Mass. :angel:
Pretty danged good Addie.

From Nunavut - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:
Nunavut /ˈnnəˌvʊt/ (from Inuktitut: ᓄᓇᕗᑦ [ˈnunavut]) is the largest, northernmost, and newest territory of Canada; it was separated officially from the Northwest Territories on April 1, 1999, via the Nunavut Act[7] and the Nunavut Land Claims Agreement Act,[8] though the actual boundaries had been established in 1993. The creation of Nunavut resulted in the first major change to Canada's political map since the incorporation of the new province of Newfoundland in 1949.

Ottawa is the capital of Canada; it's in Ontario. But the parliament building burned by the Yanks during the War of 1812 was in York (now Toronto), Ontario. The stranded Yanks were put up in Gander, which is in the Newfoundland part of Newfoundland and Labrador.

New Brunswick is a very bilingual province. The French speakers there are almost all Acadian, so related to the Cajuns of the Southern U.S.

Huh. I'm half Canadian, and have never heard of Nunavut either. Thanks for the info!

my son loved his bday present. that made me smile. he is a really tall guy so fit is always a problem. got him lounging pants with his football teams logo on them.
What a nice mom you are. Glad to see you posting babe.
kades:)

Thanks for the history lessons. It made for great reading. I love history. Oh and one more thing. I love your national anthem. I think it is one of the prettiest ones going. Every time I watch the Olympics, I keep hoping Canada wins first place if we can't so I can hear it. :angel:

I'm working a few hours a day with an executive chef--doing his prep work (veggies, etc.). On the first day, he told me to grab a uniform off the rack. For the most part, all the uniforms were XL. I wear a medium. I was "swmming" in the jacket, but I did find a medium on the rack...also finally found a pair of medium pants...yesterday the sous chef told me to go to the chef de partis (sp) to order some uniforms that fit me (I felt as if I was playing dress up in my Dad's clothes when I was a child). Turns out when the chef de partis checked to see what size I was wearing, I was wearing the sous chef's' pants...talk about being in s/one else's pants! The poor guy wondered what happened to his uniforms...he has since moved them to his locker, but, since the uniforms ordered for me won't be in for awhile, I still have his pants! One of the other chefs suggested I wear a bikini to work--NOT!!! If he weren't gay, I'd take that as sexual harassment.

This made me snort water all over!

One of my friends Jayeeta four fresh 'kagji lebu' (a type of scented lime) , which is very rare in this time of the year, from their own garden.

Back
Top Bottom