Last thing that made you smile?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My hubby has had a couple of days off work and we have had two date days in a row. One more to go! So fun. Sure does make me smile!:)

Since my shoulder surgery in September, my grandson (six years old) has been much quieter around me. He was no longer interested in rough-housing and other physical activities. He would just refuse when I tried to get him going.

After some thought, I asked my daughter and she confirmed she had talked to my grandson about being careful around Grampy because of my shoulder. A short while ago, I asked her to have another talk telling him I was OK to get physical as my shoulder was a lot better.

I pick him up from school a couple of times a week. A while ago, he started opening the car door and buckling himself into his car seat with no help from me. I had been trying to get him to do it for some time with no luck. I told him I thought it was great that he had learned to do that for himself.

I picked up Steven from school Wednesday and he buckled himself in again. I repeated my appreciation and asked if he did this for Mom and Dad. He said he did not. I asked why he did it for me and not them. He replied, 'I do it because it makes you happy'.

We came home and during the afternoon, he made it clear he wanted to rough-house. He wore me out and I got a lot of laughter in return.

When it was time for him to go home, I bent over and hugged and kissed him. He told me I had to pick him up to hug and kiss him. So I did.

That was yet another thing he was holding back on out of consideration for my "condition". He never slipped up and said a word.

I couldn't be prouder!

Since my shoulder surgery in September, my grandson (six years old) has been much quieter around me. He was no longer interested in rough-housing and other physical activities. He would just refuse when I tried to get him going.

After some thought, I asked my daughter and she confirmed she had talked to my grandson about being careful around Grampy because of my shoulder. A short while ago, I asked her to have another talk telling him I was OK to get physical as my shoulder was a lot better.

I pick him up from school a couple of times a week. A while ago, he started opening the car door and buckling himself into his car seat with no help from me. I had been trying to get him to do it for some time with no luck. I told him I thought it was great that he had learned to do that for himself.

I picked up Steven from school Wednesday and he buckled himself in again. I repeated my appreciation and asked if he did this for Mom and Dad. He said he did not. I asked why he did it for me and not them. He replied, 'I do it because it makes you happy'.

We came home and during the afternoon, he made it clear he wanted to rough-house. He wore me out and I got a lot of laughter in return.

When it was time for him to go home, I bent over and hugged and kissed him. He told me I had to pick him up to hug and kiss him. So I did.

That was yet another thing he was holding back on out of consideration for my "condition". He never slipped up and said a word.

I couldn't be prouder!
You should be bursting with pride. What a wonderful boy you have there. He is so special. And he loves you with all his heart. His mom,dad and you and SO be proud of what you've done with him.
cj

I couldn't be prouder!

Thanks for sharing this, Andy...I'm happy that you are happy and Steven is such a joy.

isn't a checking account, savings, and 525 college plan enough addie? sheesh! :angel:

:rolleyes: :)

just kidding. thanks ladies. my boy is the world to me. i'm sure andy would agree about his grandson that our love for them fills our hearts inn a way that we can only feel blessed and grateful for having such joy in our lives.

Sometimes we don't give children enough credit. :angel:

fully agree. seriously, these guys awake before daybreak half the time, to learn, then after a day of schoolwork, promptly get sent to the dining room for homework & snacks, & later or during weekend, they have to play sports. then there's schoolyard bullies, snobby girl classmates, school lunch slop-on-a-tray if Mom/Dad may be too preoccupied in the mornings to make a lunch.
it's not easy on these kiddos. society, media that my smart friends put parental controls onto, competition, athletics, after-school programs, tv-

i dunno. seen both sides. taking a few seconds to say, 'how was school' when i get the kiddos i'm taking care of in the door takes seconds, yet gives them time to speak of thier day.
& 'homework time is now, or i'm taking ur laptop away until i see that work completed. nobody'll play on that laptop, play 1 single video game or watch a single tv show until we review the homework.'

Last edited:
They are increasing the length of the school day here. Mainly because so many of the children are latchkey kids and their curriculum is too large to fit into the time they now have in school. Then on top of that they have, for some kids, five hours of homework. Even adults only have an eight hour day. I liked it better when kids were kids. They no longer have time to put a smile on our faces now. And I like smiling.

I have a three year old grandson. His father is enrolling him in piano lessons. He already speaks three languages fluently. English, Italian and Albanian. Each memeber of the family speaks to him in a different language. Kind of scary huh. :angel:

they may be getting them prepped for college.
u literally snooze a few hours/night or less when in certain colleges. life turns into studying intently, writing speeches, being quizzed, research, competition, ranking amonst the best, & perfectionism in some schools

went to strict schools much of my life. was not much affected negetively. thankful i was disciplined & learned manners, respect, please, thank you, & may i~

Last edited:
they may be getting them prepped for college.
u literally snooze a few hours/night or less when in certain colleges. life turns into studying intently, writing speeches, being quizzed, research, competition, ranking amongst the best, & perfectionism in some schools

went to strict schools much of my life. was not much affected negatively. thankful i was disciplined & learned manners, respect, please, thank you, & may i~

My kids learned their manners right at home. That was my job, not the schools. And those manners were in place before they started school. They also learned their table manners. No chewing with your mouth open, no talking with food in your mouth, elbows off the table, permission to leave the table, and which eating utensil was used for different foods once they got past the spoon only age. Supper was family mealtime. No phone calls until after their meal was finished and homework done. And during that I time I learned also. I learned that kids can do their homework while laying on the floor watching television. In fact they were more likely to do it without being told. But I did draw the line with me getting down on the floor with them to give them some needed help. They had time after school to play outside with their friends in the neighborhood and learning some social graces. None of my four first children went to college.

One is an Executive Secretary, she went to Secretarial School. The next is a contractor, next one a carpenter, then a plumber, the third was a stay at home mother of five, and my fifth one went on to Yale Medical School. He was a school dropout in the tenth grade. His H.S. let him fall through the cracks the first two months of the school year. He had four different language teachers in that time. Lost all interest in school. The day after he dropped out, he went and got his GED, then signed up for paramedic school. He was at the top of every class he has attended during all these years. Did that for 15 years, worked in the ER at one of the states busiest ER and now teaches medicine at one of the states major colleges while working in the college's associated ER. He also has been teaching during the whole time he has been involved in medicine. He was also CEO for a large major ambulance company. Hated all the paper work and missed working with patients. Took a $60,000 pay cut to get back to the patient.

My son who is the contractor/carpenter has more work than he can handle. He is also a licensed electrician. He often passes it off to friends who need the work. The same with the plumber. He has his own business. He refers a lot of his work to others in the trade. He started out as a floor man installing carpets, tile floors, wood floors, etc. Did that until his knees gave out. Neither of them went to college. :angel:

My smile came from an unlikely source: a newspaper article in last Friday's paper describing an event at the local performing-arts hall, which is named in honor of the lady who spear-headed efforts to get the hall built in the 1980's. The musical "Catch Me If You Can" was being presented. Before the show began, the lady's sons brought her on-stage in her wheelchair and the audience erupted in applause when told that Friday was her 100th birthday. And I don't know whose idea it was, but her cake and flowers were presented to her by Frank Abagnale Jr., the former con man whose life inspired the musical and the movie starring Leonardo de Caprio. Her remarks, as to turning 100: "I couldn't do anything about it. I really didn't expect to live this long. I have no way to turn it off!"

Three cheers for her spirit! And a welcome change from the litany of accidents and murders that usually make up the paper's news.

My smile came from an unlikely source: a newspaper article in last Friday's paper describing an event at the local performing-arts hall, which is named in honor of the lady who spear-headed efforts to get the hall built in the 1980's. The musical "Catch Me If You Can" was being presented. Before the show began, the lady's sons brought her on-stage in her wheelchair and the audience erupted in applause when told that Friday was her 100th birthday. And I don't know whose idea it was, but her cake and flowers were presented to her by Frank Abagnale Jr., the former con man whose life inspired the musical and the movie starring Leonardo de Caprio. Her remarks, as to turning 100: "I couldn't do anything about it. I really didn't expect to live this long. I have no way to turn it off!"

Three cheers for her spirit! And a welcome change from the litany of accidents and murders that usually make up the paper's news.

That put a smile on my face also. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom