Last thing that made you smile?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Love it, phinz! And I love Hemingway House. My mom used to have a house on Summerland Key and we vacationed there regularly for several years. We took guests to Hemingway House, so I've been there several times.

One day at our local grocery store I told one of the workers that I was disappointed that they didn't carry my favorite chili (Bob Evans) anymore. He said that he would see if they would order it again for me. Well, today I went in and there was my chili. And the man who ordered it for me was there working." I thanked him so much "( I was so glad he was there today). I will have to write the manager of the store and tell them about the great employee they have.

Last edited:
Love it, phinz! And I love Hemingway House. My mom used to have a house on Summerland Key and we vacationed there regularly for several years. We took guests to Hemingway House, so I've been there several times.

Did you guys see any of those 6-toed kitties?

Phinz, as funny as Hiassen's books are, is he a happy guy in person? Everyone in the photo looks as though they're having a pretty good time.

Phinz, as funny as Hiassen's books are, is he a happy guy in person? Everyone in the photo looks as though they're having a pretty good time.

Saw several polydactyl cats. Sweet as could be.

Carl Hiaasen was one of the most gracious authors I've ever met. A truly nice man. He was incredibly kind.

They were everywhere - you couldn't miss them ;) There were some with more than 6 toes, too.

My favorite parts of the house are the elaborate chandeliers and the rope bridge to Hemingway's writing room on the second floor of the garage. His wife was afraid to walk on it and there was no other way to reach it, so he would not be disturbed :LOL:

I met two of my literary idols last night. John Sandford and Carl Hiaasen. I smiled a lot and was on an emotional high the rest of the night. This was all while spending the evening at the Hemingway House, a treat that many rarely get to experience since it closes to the public at 5 every day.

11865891253_f63e5c646e_z.jpg

If you would have gone today you might have met a friend of mine, who's on vacation in Florida at the moment and visited Hemingway house today - because of the cats :D

A niece-in-law posted on FB that she couldn't believe people ate Spam, though she admitted she didn't know what it was. After a flood of "eww" and "gross" responses, and some referencing Hawaii, I mentioned that she needs to ask her Pennsylvania Dutch extended family about scrapple, There were more "ewws" and "grosses" as the kids had to look up scrapple too. I did PM NIL that Spam comes in low fat and low sodium, and is just chopped ham crammed into a tin. It can be fried like bacon. This piqued her interest, and she plans to try it! Watching the whole process on FB just cracked me up!

Last edited:
A niece-in-law posted on FB that she couldn't believe people ate Spam, though she admitted she didn't know what it was. After a flood of "eww" and "gross" responses, and some referencing Hawaii, I mentioned that she needs to ask her Pennsylvania Dutch extended family about scrapple, There were more "ewws" and "grosses" as the kids had to look up scrapple too. I did PM NIL that Spam comes in low fat and low sodium, and is just chopped ham crammed into a tin. It can be fried like bacon. This piqued her interest, and she plans to try it! Watching the whole process on FB just cracked me up!

It's fun when folks find out they like what we've suggested, they just didn't know what it is.

To that end, I will, one day, tell Dad about all the sour cream I have fed him over the years...after he dies.

It's fun when folks find out they like what we've suggested, they just didn't know what it is.

To that end, I will, one day, tell Dad about all the sour cream I have fed him over the years...after he dies.

Oh dear, hope he doesn't come back to haunt you about it!

I always knew what I was going to make for supper as my kids were growing up. It was those Saturday and summer lunches that tested my mettle. What is quick and easy that all four kids liked. A can of Spam would feed four kids quite nicely. A small can of crushed pineapple poured over the Spam and put in the oven for a few minutes made a nutritious and quick meal. None of them have had it as adults. They will tell me how they hated it. Oh yeah? Then how come there was never any left over? How come toward the end of summer I would have to buy two cans instead of just one for one lunchtime? Why did it turn out to be a big favorite with all four kids? A loaf of crusty bread, mustard and sliced Spam on a plate and they were very happy kids fighting over who got the most.

But I still get the "Oh Ma, that is so gross!" :angel:

I had a girlfriend that used to grind up Spam, mix some mayonnaise and relish in it and her husband was quite happy to take it to work in his sandwiches. Her kids loved it also. :angel:

I always knew what I was going to make for supper as my kids were growing up. It was those Saturday and summer lunches that tested my mettle. What is quick and easy that all four kids liked. A can of Spam would feed four kids quite nicely. A small can of crushed pineapple poured over the Spam and put in the oven for a few minutes made a nutritious and quick meal. None of them have had it as adults. They will tell me how they hated it. Oh yeah? Then how come there was never any left over? How come toward the end of summer I would have to buy two cans instead of just one for one lunchtime? Why did it turn out to be a big favorite with all four kids? A loaf of crusty bread, mustard and sliced Spam on a plate and they were very happy kids fighting over who got the most.

But I still get the "Oh Ma, that is so gross!" :angel:

:LOL: Addie, my niece-in-law and her friends are all kids in their late 20's! It was so cute. I did point out that we ate Spam all the time when I was a kid, and I'm still alive!

:LOL: Addie, my niece-in-law and her friends are all kids in their late 20's! It was so cute. I did point out that we ate Spam all the time when I was a kid, and I'm still alive!

My favorite response has always been, "You must have hated us as kids to feed us that stuff."

"Do you want me to lie or tell the truth?" :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom