Last thing that made you smile?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Laurie, you just made me remember something and that made me smile. Many, many years ago I had an adorable little cat named Musmus. She figured out that if I was out of town and the phone rang late at night, it was probably me. She would run to the phone to "talk" to me. If it was someone else on the phone, she would walk away in a huff.

My Dad's dog, Brew, got her treats at 8 pm every night. She knew instinctively when it was 8 and no matter what you were doing she would hound you until you got her those treats.

I carried on the 8 pm tradition with all my animals. Violet has been taking matters into her own hands and starts whining and generally bugging me at 7 pm. I love Jeopardy. It is on from 7:30 to 8:00 pm here. We are trying to teach her that she gets her treats after the Jeopardy Think Music! Here are two grown people trying to duplicate the tune....both of us are tone deaf! :LOL:

I hate when you folks post You Tube items like this, I find myself going through all of the ones you didn't choose and get completely sidetracked. I sit here for more than an hour listening to all the ones that weren't chosen.

Oh yeah. I do like opera. I am in love with all the classical arts. But I am a nut case anyway. :angel:
But didn't you enjoy your hour of side-tracked? ;)

I'm amazed that she learned to sing opera by listening to YouTube videos. When you are a kid you don't know that singing something like that is really hard. So, she just went ahead and learned it. I think there is a lesson in that for all of us.

But didn't you enjoy your hour of side-tracked? ;)

I'm amazed that she learned to sing opera by listening to YouTube videos. When you are a kid you don't know that singing something like that is really hard. So, she just went ahead and learned it. I think there is a lesson in that for all of us.
I have discovered that watching YouTube videos of knitting stitches/techniques I want to learn with the sound off is fantastic! Because I am a lefty, it is a lot easier to follow along watching YouTube videos of the person doing the stitch (and doing the same with my needles, pausing when necessary) and is a much easier way to learn the stitch/technique than watching a righthanded knitter knit in a mirror or having them tell me what to do and then translating it to how I knit.

Last edited:
The last thing that made me smile was my birthday party this past Sunday. The whole family was there except for one grandchild who lives in Canada. Lots of laughter, and it was no shortage of drinks for everyone including the little ones. I received a sizable amount of cash along with some beautiful calla lilies, and of course my Tiara. This is the first time since my daughter's funeral that the whole family was together. Some of the younger ones weren't even born yet like the six great grandchildren. I had put my camera on the nightstand behind some papers. When it came time to bring my camera with me I couldn't find it. So I went to the party without it. My daughter had her camera and took pictures galore. She will upload them and send them to me. The cake was half chocolate and half vanilla with real whipped cream frosting and had a music box inside the cake that played happy birthday. When I came back upstairs there was my camera staring right at me. I had to laugh. How blind can I be? Isn't that why I had the eye surgery!

Dragon is having troubles recognizing my Boston accent. I have to assume the accent of the British. Don't ask me why because we sound pretty much the same. :angel:

Last edited:
The last thing that made me smile was my birthday party this past Sunday...
Is this the same party you didn't want them to have? That you didn't want to bother with? :LOL: I am SO very happy that you had such a great time in the end. After all, you won't be able to party with them when they all show up at your funeral. I've told Himself that if I'm diagnosed with some incurable illness I want him to arrange my wake for me when I'm still alive so I can enjoy family too. ;)

By the way, did you get to see your Happy Birthday thread here at DC? Don't want you to miss out on the "party" we had at DC wishing you a happy day. :flowers:

My nieces styled my hair today. It started with Sproutlet the Older (STO) braiding my hair. It was a very messy, very loose braid but still a braid. Sproutlet the Younger (STY) then asked if she could put barettes in my hair so I got out my box with hair stuff and let her look at the barretes I have. STO noticed my hair chopsticks and stick style bun holders and asked about them. I explained what they were and how they worked and she asked if we could use them in my hair. I helped her make a bun out of the braid and well, here, the pictures explain it best.

ForumRunner_20140329_211751.png

ForumRunner_20140329_211835.jpg

ForumRunner_20140329_211852.png

That's almost every barette and hair stick that I currently know the location of. I'll admit though, I've had worse hairstyles. One was even done by a "professional". Yeah, it's a bit excentric and over the top, but overall, I'd have to say they did a really good job. I mean, they are 4 & 2. At that age I'm pretty sure I was still trying to figure out how not to get my hands tangled in long hair every time I touched it.

Harley (the dog) told us she needed some food so Glenn and I hopped in the truck and headed to the farm store. Got a 50-pound bag of dog food, looked at the baby chicks and ducks they had for sale and set out to drive home.

About halfway home, Glenn made a turn off the main road. I asked him why and he said he knew of some old abandoned home places down the road and he wanted to stop and pick some daffodils for me.

After a few twists and turns, driving over a couple of small bridges over a creek (Terrapin Creek), he spied what used to be someone's home.

There were tons of daffodils in a pattern that clearly was around a foundation of a structure at one time.

We came home with armloads of beautiful yellow blossoms.

I put them in an antique cut glass vase that is cobalt blue. They're on the kitchen table and I can enjoy them every time we have a meal or I walk into the kitchen.

My sweetheart is truly a man of steel and velvet and he makes me smile in the most unexpected ways.

p.a.g. you look absolutely divine. That hairdo could be a winner in the international hair styling competition. You make a great model. :angel:

Harley (the dog) told us she needed some food so Glenn and I hopped in the truck and headed to the farm store. Got a 50-pound bag of dog food, looked at the baby chicks and ducks they had for sale and set out to drive home.

About halfway home, Glenn made a turn off the main road. I asked him why and he said he knew of some old abandoned home places down the road and he wanted to stop and pick some daffodils for me.

After a few twists and turns, driving over a couple of small bridges over a creek (Terrapin Creek), he spied what used to be someone's home.

There were tons of daffodils in a pattern that clearly was around a foundation of a structure at one time.

We came home with armloads of beautiful yellow blossoms.

I put them in an antique cut glass vase that is cobalt blue. They're on the kitchen table and I can enjoy them every time we have a meal or I walk into the kitchen.

My sweetheart is truly a man of steel and velvet and he makes me smile in the most unexpected ways.

One of the benefits of living in Tacoma was seeing fields full of wild daffodils. They sure are a pretty flower. They must have really stood out in that cobalt blue vase. Lucky you! :angel:

Yesterday I took a dozen lemon cookies to a friend. He lives alone and was turning 94. He's slowing down a bit, but was telling me how he is breaking in someone for his job (an accountant at the same firm for scads of years) and finally has to turn over his dancing instructor job to a younger person because he's not as steady on his feet as he used to be. In return for the cookies, he gave me a lot to think about, and smile about. :)

My nieces styled my hair today. It started with Sproutlet the Older (STO) braiding my hair. It was a very messy, very loose braid but still a braid. Sproutlet the Younger (STY) then asked if she could put barettes in my hair so I got out my box with hair stuff and let her look at the barretes I have. STO noticed my hair chopsticks and stick style bun holders and asked about them. I explained what they were and how they worked and she asked if we could use them in my hair. I helped her make a bun out of the braid and well, here, the pictures explain it best.

That's almost every barette and hair stick that I currently know the location of. I'll admit though, I've had worse hairstyles. One was even done by a "professional". Yeah, it's a bit excentric and over the top, but overall, I'd have to say they did a really good job. I mean, they are 4 & 2. At that age I'm pretty sure I was still trying to figure out how not to get my hands tangled in long hair every time I touched it.

That is just great! They did do a good job! Those Sproutlets are so precious, even if they do drive their Mom crazy.

Back
Top Bottom