"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Birthdays, Good Thoughts and DC Hugs

Old 04-13-2009, 06:42 PM   #3261
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Katie, thank you for sharing that beautiful moment. Now you can go visit Buck's tree and know that he will meet you there even if you can't see or feel him, he will be there.
Thanks, Laurie. I see the tree everyday. Well, at least those days I work at the shop. I have to drive by it on my way to and from. I always give it a little look and a wave and say "hello" to Buck.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:20 PM   #3262
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
When I came home from the shop this afternoon, I noticed there were several "bodies" of red tulips on the front porch. Immediately I suspected Tumble. He's into everything all the time.

It wasn't until about 3 o'clock that my suspicions were confirmed. A friend, Edwina, stopped by and we were talking on the porch. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw some motion. I looked over into the rose garden, where the tulips also grow, and spied Tumble "attacking" a tulip. I no time he proudly pranced across the yard, bright red tulip in his mouth, to the front porch and presented his "kill" to me. What a hunter!!!

Both Edwina and I smiled and laughed out loud.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:02 AM   #3263
Chef Extraordinaire

My smile today, well I had 2 of them first I was thrilled with a beautiful Pain De Mie that I made, Katie you were right, the taste is heavenly and you bet it is one large loaf...I'm so proud of it...Thank you, Katie.
My second smile was taking our motor home, with my daughter, son in law and Ethan and Olivia and going to the zoo..We had a wonderful time and I'm so proud of ME I walked the whole way first time in almost a year and it felt so good..I can do it, I can, I can.

kadesma
Old 04-17-2009, 07:05 AM   #3264
Master Chef

I got on the scale this morning and had lost my 25th. pound. Only 135 more pounds to go.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:55 AM   #3265
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by getoutamykitchen View Post
I got on the scale this morning and had lost my 25th. pound. Only 135 more pounds to go.
Good for you Keep going you can, you can

kades
Old 04-17-2009, 04:00 PM   #3266
Chef Extraordinaire

hearing the sounds coming out of Susan Boyle!
Old 04-17-2009, 05:25 PM   #3267
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
hearing the sounds coming out of Susan Boyle!
Oh, mudbug, I couldn't agree more! I think that this is a real wake-up call for all of us to not judge a book by its cover.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 05:35 PM   #3268
Certified Cake Maniac

Oh, wow, I just got one of the biggest smiles I could ever hope for.

Through our youth group we got to know a pair of sisters who have had a bit of a tough upbringing. Their Dad basically raised them both from babies when their Mom walked out twice, both times just after each of them was born, and then their stepmom was out of the picture as well. The older girl (now about 20) worked for us for awhile in our internet business until we closed it and has had a tough time keeping jobs and relationships because she is so worried about rejection.

I have done their taxes for them for the last 5 years and she has been appreciative but that has been it. I have just waited in the background praying and hoping that this gesture would show her that someone cared without wanting anything in return.

Well, I left a little note with her taxes saying I am hiring again for catering if she or anyone she knows might be interested. I just got a message saying that she is really grateful that I do her taxes and explain how she can get more back, and she is hoping to go to school next year for hotel management/event planning. Then the smile. She said she would love to work for me on any of the events so she can get some practice. I was wondering how I was going to run the kitchen and the reception room setup for the biggest wedding and now I have my answer. Doing the set-up coordination will be a good test for her if she likes it and I know she will do an amazing job.

You know, all it takes sometimes is a little patience, care and attention and you can really make a difference in someone's life. I can't wait to watch her in action, like a proud Mama! (No, this isn't my "Daughter", but she is another of our "kids").

Old 04-17-2009, 05:40 PM   #3269
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by getoutamykitchen View Post
Great work!

Old 04-17-2009, 08:00 PM   #3270
Master Chef

my kitty. he played till i fed him! luv my boy!