Last thing that made you smile?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah! Our farmers market is opening up today for the season.

Ours, too! Waiting to get moving and ride down to the river market. Should take about 1.5 hours round trip with time to shop. Riding the bike, I can't overdo the spending part.

They're a trendy spice that Alton Brown was hyping a while back. Himself saw one of those short clips of Alton's on Hulu, so I've been looking for a tiny amount for us to sample. The Spice Merchant 1 ounce packet is $3.49, so I figured it wasn't too much if we didn't like it.

Once used as a cheaper option to pepper, it's now expensive. The description on the packet is pretty much what Himself and I experienced when we each bit down on a couple grains: "When cracked like coriander between the teeth, the flavor of grains of paradise releases a billowing aroma, with a slowly intensifying heat, like pepper, at the back of the mouth. The taste changes by the second with lingering heat. The spice is pleasantly tempered, with flavors reminiscent of jasmine, hazelnut, butter and citrus, with an oiliness similar to nuts... Grains of paradise are dense fragrance underlined with heat."

I figure I'll put some in my mortar and pestle, along with some of the sea salt, and crush it a bit. Then I'll add to a simple vinaigrette, or maybe just sprinkle on top the salad after drizzling the dressing.

If you want to read more about it, Serious Eats has a nice write-up here: Spice Hunting: Grains of Paradise | Serious Eats

2 frisky young puppies playing at attacking each other in the park...the younger one going for the other puppie's neck repeatedly in a light way. Bounding around each other with lots of energy. The older one lying on its back, exposing its tummy now and then. Guess you had to be there...sometimes you need a video! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I have a love/hate relationship with Serious Eats. I love to read the articles, and have just started to look at some recipes. However, I hate that when I read "one article" I end up losing an hour or more of time. :huh: Very strange...

I have a love/hate relationship with Serious Eats. I love to read the articles, and have just started to look at some recipes. However, I hate that when I read "one article" I end up losing an hour or more of time. :huh: Very strange...

I find myself doing the same thing with DIY Headboards, Awnings, Patio, Greywater use...

Don't even point me towards Pintrest!

Oh lord, Pinterest. No no no. And forget FB and some of the travel sites I'm on. I can waste an entire day and get absolutely nothing done.

My 2 year old nephew selected a book he wanted his daddy to read to him. It happened to be the phone book. My brother complied.

I have four baskets by the washer so I can sort as we take dirties downstairs. Every basket is empty! :w00t: Unfortunately, we are still dirtying clothes...cuz you don't want us to not wear them. :ermm:

Oh, and the Cavaliers won the semi-final division playoffs. Come next Wednesday, they will be in the NBA division series, opponent to be determined. It has been sooooooooooooo long since Cleveland has had a championship sports team (Browns, 1964) that I would be excited even if it was our basketball team. *sigh*

I just saw my first bumble bee of the season, in my yard. It was huge. It didn't fly near the flowers. I wonder if it's a queen.

Oddly enough, my electric bill made me smile. Since our last bill was a shocker, shocker I say, I have been super-conservative with electricity usage. It paid off - the bill was $60 less than last month. One more month of high rates, then they are supposed to go down for the next six-month period. Meanwhile, if it can't cook in the toaster oven, it's not getting made. ;)

Grilling, on the other hand, is perfectly acceptable.

Baby bunny, about 6 inches, who lives in my shade garden and apparently has no fear, unless I try to take his/her picture. And all the honey bees taking advantage of my flowers!

Noticing 2 robins, food in their beaks, going into the same space in my ivy covered wall. Clearly there must be a nest there with baby robins in there!

Just heard the ice cream truck come down our street and 4 of the neighborhood kids are getting treats. Reminds me of when my 5 were little.:heart:

Back
Top Bottom