"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Birthdays, Good Thoughts and DC Hugs

Old 07-17-2009, 02:28 PM   #3511
Sous Chef

Laurie - Please have many, many more of these moments, and may I be around to hear you talk about them.

I am so happy for you at this moment, words escape me, and only a sigh comes out.

Bob

Old 07-17-2009, 02:46 PM   #3512
Certified Cake Maniac

Thanks, Bob.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 03:45 PM   #3513
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Thanks, Bob.
Now that made my day..Love to hear about a happy marriage...
kades
Old 07-17-2009, 05:05 PM   #3514
Senior Cook

Ya know I got home from the hospital yesterday and my neighbor brought dinner over last night which was so sweet and thoughtful. And delicious I might add. Well, a few minutes ago another friend of mine brought over a huge meal for tonight and another meal to freeze!! AND she told me that a lot of my sweet friends and neighbors have actually made a schedule of who's cooking for my family until...

I was bowled over. These sweet people have offered to do this so many times over the last 2 years but I always said "no, it's ok, we've got it covered, I can take care of it". Well this time they didn't even ask, they just did it. I'm so grateful and I know my family is too. It's kind of hard being on the receiving end of such kindness. I was always the one who cooked dinners for people who were sick or had new babies and such. But I have to say I am smiling. This is what caring is.

And I want to say thank you so much to all my DC friends who have cheered me on thru this. When I'm home alone on the computer, I know I'm not really alone. Thank you all.

Katy
Old 07-17-2009, 10:10 PM   #3515
Chef Extraordinaire

the young man that helped me order a cell phone, made me smile. he got my quirky sense of humor. we both had a nice laugh and got the job down.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:19 PM   #3516
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by katybar22 View Post
Ya know I got home from the hospital yesterday and my neighbor brought dinner over last night which was so sweet and thoughtful. And delicious I might add. Well, a few minutes ago another friend of mine brought over a huge meal for tonight and another meal to freeze!! AND she told me that a lot of my sweet friends and neighbors have actually made a schedule of who's cooking for my family until...

I was bowled over. These sweet people have offered to do this so many times over the last 2 years but I always said "no, it's ok, we've got it covered, I can take care of it". Well this time they didn't even ask, they just did it. I'm so grateful and I know my family is too. It's kind of hard being on the receiving end of such kindness. I was always the one who cooked dinners for people who were sick or had new babies and such. But I have to say I am smiling. This is what caring is.

And I want to say thank you so much to all my DC friends who have cheered me on thru this. When I'm home alone on the computer, I know I'm not really alone. Thank you all.

Katy
Katy, I experienced this same thing last fall and winter when I had two knee surgeries, a bad flood and further health complications. Neighbours, people from our church and others were so quick to provide meals. Being a caterer and a giver, this was hard for me too. But accept it. I learned that the joy you and I feel giving to others is just as important to them and we shouldn't deprive them of it.

As for the DC family, well, I can't say enough about them. Just get well and know you are cared for at home and online.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:20 PM   #3517
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
the young man that helped me order a cell phone, made me smile. he got my quirky sense of humor. we both had a nice laugh and got the job down.
Babe, two things here made me smile - your story, and the fact that you got a cell phone!

Old 07-17-2009, 11:34 PM   #3518
Chef Extraordinaire

When those who have been so very ill, respond and begin the long road back, it makes me smile and my heart is so happy to be one of a wonderful group of people. Laurie, you know my feelings for you, you Tony and your dad...Katy, my sister in being used as a quinea pig, seeing what love people give us is a wonderful thing..I know it's hard to be on the receiving end,but never say no, the love in the gesture is a special thing..Accept it with a smile and love in your heart..I know you both do...Babe, you know I wish you and Wallie all the good life has to give...All of you are so dear...Stay well please.
kades
Old 07-18-2009, 12:06 AM   #3519
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
Stay well please.
kades
This is my wish for you as well, my dear friend.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:08 AM   #3520
Certified Cake Maniac

My latest smile? Seeing the smiles on my Dad's face as we sit and watch a football game (or other sport) together like we did when I was a kid! And I am even enjoying the games almost as much as my time with him!