Last thing that made you smile?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just heard the ice cream truck come down our street and 4 of the neighborhood kids are getting treats. Reminds me of when my 5 were little.:heart:

Your post just put a big smile on my face. "Here's Frosty. Can I have some money Mom?" Summer's familiar song. We still have Frosty. And the kids still say, "Here comes Frosty." The only difference is they have to spend their own money. :angel:

We have running water! :w00t2: Around noon today, right after I had washed and dried my hands, I suddenly heard what sounded like rushing water. :huh: Checked all three bathrooms and the kitchen to make sure a pipe had not let go, then ran down the basement steps to see the water meter counter rapidly spinning...backwards! :ohmy: Threw the shut-off lever, the sound stopped. After double-checking all the inside water locations and finding nothing wrong, I did a walk-around outside. My neighbor was on her deck, so she went inside and checked her water. No water there either, so at least nothing of ours broke.

The town said our water could be off until as late as 9:00 PM. However, I heard water sounds around 4:00. Came back on right after I opened a just-purchased bottle of water so I could make a cup of tea. I should have opened it sooner. :LOL:

Glad it's back on, CG! No bueno to have no water. Good thing you weren't in the shower with your hair all shampoo-ey when it went out!

Last edited:
taxy, all the town said was that a water main had broken. I wouldn't be surprised if an excavator dug just a wee bit too deep while working on replacing sewer grates and resurfacing the main road, because I drove past the site of the break and it's right along the construction route. :glare:

Cheryl, the shower thing could result in a whole lot of yuck! Fortunately, I don't was my hair in the shower, instead I use the basement utility tub. I'll have to make sure to draw off extra water before I lather up just in case another break occurs while my head is foamy. :LOL:

CG, they have been having a lot of water mains breaking in the southern part of the state. Brocton had a MAJOR one just recently. Our infrastructure is in big trouble. Not counting the major highways and bridges. They are still digging up hollowed out tree trunks that were used for water mains when they first put in the underground piping in Boston. My sister had one that they dug up from the front of her home. She asked the men for a piece of it and used it as a planter on her back porch.

Did your meter go back to where it was or are you going to be one of the lucky ones who get a very SMALL water bill this year. You can bet they will give you an estimate one. A favorite action with the City of Boston when a main breaks here in the city. :angel:

Addie, this break was due to construction, not age. And I think the meter was just subtracting the water leaking out when the pressure went off the line. Not all the way, of course, since I threw the shut-off valve.

Addie, this break was due to construction, not age. And I think the meter was just subtracting the water leaking out when the pressure went off the line. Not all the way, of course, since I threw the shut-off valve.

You know, there is no need for these construction errors. The construction company has a map of where all the utility lines are before they even start digging. Someone either didn't bother to read them or just didn't care. Mostly about the inconvenience to the public. :angel:

CG, glad your water problems are solved!

Today I thought I was going to rest up after a busy day yesterday with a hair cut, shopping and church banquet. That is more than I usually do in one day! But the young woman (I call her Kay), who has been like a daughter to us had a bit of an emergency and asked if I could take her boy overnight Monday instead of the scheduled Tuesday. He is almost 4 and quite the little charmer. Both kids have been a handful due to their father, who is totally out of the picture now. And they are really improving. TB and I give her as much support as we can.

Anyway, he and I were at McDonald's and while we were waiting for our food to come up he asked the girl at the till what her name was. She told him and then he asked her "what is your number?" I think she was probably around 20 and kind of looked at me for help. I said that I didn't think he meant her phone number, but everyone got quite a kick out of it. At the table he told me he meant how many years she was and I explained you don't ask a girl that question! :ROFLMAO:

Seeing this....

l55kg.jpg

Went to Panera's on Monday to get a loaf of their Cinnamon Raisin Swirl bread and was told I would have to special order it and it would take 3 days (they have so many orders). Well, it was worth the wait. It is delicious. So good toasted.:yum:

Went to Panera's on Monday to get a loaf of their Cinnamon Raisin Swirl bread and was told I would have to special order it and it would take 3 days (they have so many orders). Well, it was worth the wait. It is delicious. So good toasted.:yum:

I am not a bread eater until I hear the name Panera. Then I want to move into one. :angel:

Overheard conversation...

She proudly announced "I've been cooking for 30 years!"

Her friend drily replied "Well....it should be done by now"

I have another smile on my face today and it's food related again. When I was a kid I loved eating 5th Avenue candy bars. Well, I haven't been able to find them anywhere around here until today. My grandson and I went into Michael's craft store and there I found the 5th Avenue bar in their candy section by checkouts. Oh Happy Days.

Baguette is Himself's favorite. I like their Challah bread - nearly as good as the one we buy at Blue Colony Diner in CT. There's is sooooo good! :yum:

Mmmm, I like their focaccia breads. On our drive back from Michigan on the Turnpike, we stopped for lunch at a rest stop that had a Panera. I got both of our sandwiches on Asiago focaccia :yum:

GG, I actually love all of their breads. Well, except for anything "Asiago". Just can't cuddle up to that cheese. But Panera is to blame for the fact that my weight has plateaued where it is. Gonna have to go cold-turke...ah, cold turkey on honey-wheat toast with avocado, bacon, a schmear of mayo and something lettuce-y. :yum:

Back
Top Bottom