Last thing that made you smile?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I want my old down pillows fluffy again too CG!! I didn't know a product existed for this. Pleeeeeeeeze tell me what it's called and where you got it? I have some old ones in the closet I'd love to be able to use again.
There's no way I could ever sleep without a down pillow. I even take one packed in my suitcase when we travel.
I haven't seen down-specific soap for ages. I'm guessing it's no longer marketed with the proliferation of HE detergents and washing machines. I use about half the amount of HE liquid detergent I normally would use for a small load, toss two pillows into the washer, and let her go. You could use Woolite or Delicare if you have those on hand, too. ~ I do a second rinse on jackets and comforters, but the pillows seem to rinse well with just the normal single rinse. Check for moisture - you may need to do another one or two spin cycles. Again, I don't need to do that for pillows, but always need to spin dry several times for jackets and comforters.

BTW, I've been known to pack all three of my downs pillows the few times we've flown. It's amazing how tiny those things get when you put them into space bags. :LOL:

CG, my exDH used to put a tennis shoe in the drier with down.
I've also know people who use clean tennis balls in the dryer. The only tennis shoes in this house are not clean, so I just use these nifty fluffing snowflakes that came with my down care kit.

Attachments

• 2015-12-17 21.29.41.jpg
    2015-12-17 21.29.41.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 131
I have a can of white tennis balls that DH would never use for his tennising as he's a yellow balls kind of guy. They do a good job of fluffing stuff up. I just pop the lid back on the can when things are dry.

I haven't seen down-specific soap for ages. I'm guessing it's no longer marketed with the proliferation of HE detergents and washing machines. I use about half the amount of HE liquid detergent I normally would use for a small load, toss two pillows into the washer, and let her go. You could use Woolite or Delicare if you have those on hand, too. ~ I do a second rinse on jackets and comforters, but the pillows seem to rinse well with just the normal single rinse. Check for moisture - you may need to do another one or two spin cycles. Again, I don't need to do that for pillows, but always need to spin dry several times for jackets and comforters.

BTW, I've been known to pack all three of my downs pillows the few times we've flown. It's amazing how tiny those things get when you put them into space bags. :LOL:
I've also know people who use clean tennis balls in the dryer. The only tennis shoes in this house are not clean, so I just use these nifty fluffing snowflakes that came with my down care kit.

LOL I'm an old fashioned kinda gal, and I had to look up what HE detergents and machines means. My washing machine and dryer are low tech, and for just us work fine, top load for the washer, and side load for the dryer. My best bet would be to go to the laundromat where I haven't been in forty years? I can do that to get fluffy pillows again. I could buy some tennis balls, and give them to the neighbor dogs. ;)

LOL I'm an old fashioned kinda gal, and I had to look up what HE detergents and machines means. My washing machine and dryer are low tech, and for just us work fine, top load for the washer, and side load for the dryer. My best bet would be to go to the laundromat where I haven't been in forty years? I can do that to get fluffy pillows again. I could buy some tennis balls, and give them to the neighbor dogs. ;)
I think you can wash down in a top loading washer. My exDH did. We didn't have the front loaders here yet.

Taxy's right, Kayelle, you can wash down in a top-load washer. I've done it in the past. Same rules apply: use half the detergent, make sure it rinses clean, spin-spin-spin. Save yourself the trip to the laundromat for the drying part if you're doing something really big.

I haven't had to wash our down comforters since I use duvet cover on them and they are on top of all the other bedclothes (sheet, blanket). The kids used to use their down comforters more like sleeping bags. I had to wash each of theirs every year when the warm weather came around.

I'm making pillows out of shirts and a t-shirt for a friend. Her father is dying and she just had a baby so she wants to give each of her two sons one of their Grandad's shirts and her Dad gets the older son's t-shirt with the little one's first sleeper for in the hospital. It is a super idea.

I am using a flattened box to cut the size I need out of each shirt. However, it is hard to hold the shirt and the board while cutting. So, who should come to my rescue but our little curious cat, Monkey. Each time I have done it she has jumped up onto the table, onto the board and watched intently as I cut. I just wish Violet (dog) could work a camera so I could record it! :LOL:

It can be either/or...i.e. a top up system. I had to google it since I am now a pensioner and get a free travel pass!
We have something similar here called an Opus card. I still have to get around to getting my senior's ID for the transit system, so I can take advantage of reduced fares for seniors.

I like the way they do it in Copenhagen. A senior's pass for 3 months costs less than a monthly pass for "regular age". There is a restriction: it's only valid outside of rush hour. That makes sense to me. Doctor's offices and everyone else who deals with seniors knows to give them appointments at times that will let them get there and home between rush hours.

I'm making pillows out of shirts and a t-shirt for a friend. Her father is dying and she just had a baby so she wants to give each of her two sons one of their Grandad's shirts and her Dad gets the older son's t-shirt with the little one's first sleeper for in the hospital. It is a super idea.

I am using a flattened box to cut the size I need out of each shirt. However, it is hard to hold the shirt and the board while cutting. So, who should come to my rescue but our little curious cat, Monkey. Each time I have done it she has jumped up onto the table, onto the board and watched intently as I cut. I just wish Violet (dog) could work a camera so I could record it! :LOL:

Well, I just had my first smile of the day with that. What a lovely idea for her family and a little monkey to help!

Just had my second smile when the SC came in the house after picking 4 beautiful tomatoes from our massive plant on this December morning. ;)

I like the way they do it in Copenhagen. A senior's pass for 3 months costs less than a monthly pass for "regular age". There is a restriction: it's only valid outside of rush hour. That makes sense to me. Doctor's offices and everyone else who deals with seniors knows to give them appointments at times that will let them get there and home between rush hours.

Unfortunately for our rapid transit, "rush hour" is from 6:30 am to 6:30 pm Monday to Friday and we have zone increases as sell. For me to get around my city it is $2.75. To go into Vancouver it is $5.50 (for 90 minutes travel time so if you are longer than that before returning it is double). Seniors, youth and those with a "handycard" get a reduced fare; however, it is from $1.75 to $3.75. There are other zone prices in between. They just recently dropped all bus travel in the Lower Mainland to the $2.75 and $1.75 fares all day which helps those who can travel the distance by bus (I can not).

I take rapid transit when I need to; however, I can still drive within my community and get rides for anything further. Having a husband who is a driver for our accessibility busses also helps - I don't get preferential treatment for bookings but I do know all the best ways to use transit! :)

Well, I just had my first smile of the day with that. What a lovely idea for her family and a little monkey to help!

Just had my second smile when the SC came in the house after picking 4 beautiful tomatoes from our massive plant on this December morning. ;)
Thanks, Kayelle. Monkey sure is a curious one. This morning she was sitting on the floor beside me as I sewed. She desperately wanted to get up and get a closer look but she knows the price for getting on the dining table is a squirt from a water pistol! I am sewing there because (our) Kay is using the guest room where my desk is.

Fresh tomatoes in December! Wow, that made ME smile :). Our plants barely gave us any in the summer!

The last signature required and handing over the check for closing costs on MY House!!! Finally, it's ours!!!!!!

The last signature required and handing over the check for closing costs on MY House!!! Finally, it's ours!!!!!!

:clap:

images

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnHPVGjDb-w

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom