Last thing that made you smile?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am smiling because while packing I found something that I thought was long lost...my grandmother's engagement ring. It has a single solitaire on a gold band. I thought I had lost it years ago before I was married (the first time).

I had two very large cats, Sherbrooke and Seymore. Seymore had a habit of knocking things off my dresser. The ring was on there instead of in my jewelry box because my fingers swell and I often have to take them off (my wedding ring is off right now but safely tucked away).

What I guessed had happened was that Sherbrooke had knocked it off and it went into the garbage can beside the bed. I was heartbroken. That was 35 years ago.

So where was it all this time (7 moves, different furniture, and different clothes)?

I was cleaning out my clothing drawers of what to keep and what to give/throw away.

I have a T-shirt from Terry Fox's original Marathon of Hope Run which he signed for me for working on the fundraiser. I only wore it at the office we used and then put it away in my drawer. It got moved from drawer to drawer over the years and I had no idea that in the fold was a buried treasure...my ring! I unfolded the shirt to look at the signature of my dear friend and out popped the ring.

Thanks, Terry!

See? Never GIVE UP "HOPE". There was a divine reason it was in "that" particular Tee shirt. That isn't just a smile incident, that calls for an "ear to ear grin!

Thanks Taxy!
It seems that Terry is my guardian angel. You may remember I relayed a story last year about the yearbook that was lost 40 years ago and out of the blue it was returned to me from the school. They made sure it got back to me because Terry had signed it. How they found that one signature out of the many that were all over the inside covers and any blank pages.

Neato, LP! So glad you found it!

I love Mexico. Where else do you see macho men lovingly walking what appear to be rats on a string, then on closer inspection, they're chihuahuas! Not pitbulls, not rotties (nothing wrong with those either, but they're more stereotypically macho) but much beloved chis.

Last edited:
I am smiling because while packing I found something that I thought was long lost...my grandmother's engagement ring...
Wonderful! Suddenly, cleaning and packing for your move became worth it!

Macho guys with tiny dogs! :LOL: You must see all sorts of oddities in Mexico. Enjoy vacation - what, your fifth of the year so far? :mrgreen:

Heh. Only one trip to Mexico so far this year, CG! Too much family-ing on DH's side. It ate into our Mexican time.

It's also how cute the Mexican daddies are with their niños. Mama can enjoy her cervesa, and daddy hauls the bambinos around.

Last edited:
rainbow drive in gravy all over plate.jpg
[photo courtesy of Rainbow Drive-In]

I saw this this today on Rainbow Drive-In's Face Book Page.
OH my gravy all over my two scoops rice!! (that's OMG! in my world) :ohmy:
THIS is how we roll in Hawaii!
Gravy all over!
(btw that's Hamburger Steak, Mac Salad, Fries and Brown Gravy ALL OVER!!)
:yum:

When I saw this the first thing I did was yell out, "YUM!"
then the biggest smile come over my face!

We just found out that we get to go back home and stay at our favorite vacation rental in Honolulu! This is the icing on the cake,
Rainbow's, as it's loving called by the locals, is at the top of the street where we'll be staying, CAN'T WAIT!!

Last thing that made me smile?

Our neighbor came over this afternnon and asked our grandson Josh if he would cut her grass this summer. He is thrilled.

I bet he is, JoAnn. :wub: He'll feel so 'grown up' having a job and earning his own money.

Last edited:
View attachment 26790
[photo courtesy of Rainbow Drive-In]

I saw this this today on Rainbow Drive-In's Face Book Page.
OH my gravy all over my two scoops rice!! (that's OMG! in my world) :ohmy:
THIS is how we roll in Hawaii!
Gravy all over!
(btw that's Hamburger Steak, Mac Salad, Fries and Brown Gravy ALL OVER!!)
:yum:

When I saw this the first thing I did was yell out, "YUM!"
then the biggest smile come over my face!

We just found out that we get to go back home and stay at our favorite vacation rental in Honolulu! This is the icing on the cake,
Rainbow's, as it's loving called by the locals, is at the top of the street where we'll be staying, CAN'T WAIT!!

K-girl, isn't that a Hawaiian thing called loco moco or something?

El JoAnn, congrats to your grandson on his first job.

Watching my boy play rugby every Sunday on the 16u team brings a smile to my face, and a terrified grimace to DW's. He's on the bottom right in the first picture (#11), and in the middle of the second.

Attachments

• 18193391_1885655348382496_1143226264145778755_o.jpg
    18193391_1885655348382496_1143226264145778755_o.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 80
  • 18192418_1885655468382484_4544820006019623137_o.jpg
    18192418_1885655468382484_4544820006019623137_o.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
K-girl, isn't that a Hawaiian thing called loco moco or something?

El JoAnn, congrats to your grandson on his first job.

Watching my boy play rugby every Sunday on the 16u team brings a smile to my face, and a terrified grimace to DW's. He's on the bottom right in the first picture (#11), and in the middle of the second.

Bucky, that's a Hamburger Steak, a scoop of Mac Salad and some Fries all covered in Brown Gravy MMM :yum:
Loco Moco is a huge scoop of steamed White Rice topped with a Hamburger Patty, a fried Egg and Brown Gravy :yum:
Ya kinda seenin' the pattern here? We LOVE our GRAVY!!! :chef:;):LOL:

Oh and btw, I think that Rugby for young men is a wonderful thing!
Congrats

Last edited:
Congrats to your grandson Josh on the summer job, JoAnn. If he wants to see New England, he can come do our lawn, too. We'll pay well. ;)

....Watching my boy play rugby every Sunday on the 16u team brings a smile to my face, and a terrified grimace to DW's. He's on the bottom right in the first picture (#11), and in the middle of the second.
Rugby rocks, bt. It's football for real men. :bb:

That's sweet, JoAnn. :)

Good action pics of your boy, bucky. He sure has grown! I get DW's apprehension. Tyler just got a tooth knocked out playing ball a couple of weeks ago. Fortunately he's only 6 and it was a baby tooth. He was quite proud of that, but will pay closer attention. ;) :)

Himself wandered up from the basement a short while ago. I had heard him busy playing with his "Boys' Toys", saw squealing away every now and then. I said to him "so, what are you doing?" His reply? "Making Man Glitter."* :LOL:

*sawdust

Back
Top Bottom