Last thing that made you smile?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We never go via I-80 because of the danged $$$ tolls through NY. Also, it's a longer route since our daughter lives near Canton, which is further south. We prefer the "southern" route taking surface streets to I-84, then basically I-81 and I-80 to OH.
Do you know what the difference in tolls would be? Looking at Bing Maps, it appears that it's a 11 mile difference between the two routes with I80 being the longer route.

I looked at the toll calculator for PA.
https://www.paturnpike.com/toll/tollmileage.aspx

I put in 2 - Gateway (Ohio Connection) and 266 Lebanon/Lancaster. Those were my best guess as to exit/entrance points. Using EZPass, it comes out to $30.20. It's $42.60 if you're using cash!

For I90, I used:
https://turnpikeinfo.com/toll-calculator.php?road_name=new-york-state-thruway&state=new-york

I put in B3 & 61 as the entrance/exit points.

The toll is calculated to be $17.53 using EZPass versus $18.45 for cash.

So it does appear that I90 is the better option for me for distance and cost. Let me know if I made a mistake with the toll calculation.

16 hours? Pfft! We have twins. Our daughter decided to commute to University of Akron, while our son was headed to Arizona State U in Tempe. College and our move from OH to MA were nearly simultaneous. In about two weeks time we (inhale) drove from OH to MA to close on the house and be here for the movers, turn around to OH to get the kid and head off to AZ, then settle him in and drive back. I can't remember if we returned to OH or just headed to MA after settling Goober in for his first year of college, but I do remember the total mileage was 5,800 and change. :wacko: Thanks to multiple trips out west (and back), I've seen something more than a rest stop in 34 of the Lower 48.

:ohmy:

I could never do that. Driving more than 1 hour is bad enough for me.

I have a co-worker :)wacko:) who did a Tesla meetup a month ago. They met in South Dakota. So he spent three weeks driving across the country to visit different supercharger stations. He drove all over the place up to Vancouver and down to California and then back. Something like 12K miles. The wife/kids stayed home.

He says that his car is joy to drive. He does use the self-driving feature extensively. I don't see the pleasure in that because you're sitting in a seat for hours at a time.

There are no tolls at all on our route. We don't take the Mass Pike; I-80 fees don't start until the split with I-76, and I-76 is free. We DO pay a bridge toll when crossing the Hudson River, but that fee is only when you are traveling eastbound.

If you're leaving from the Boston area, you would have MA turnpike fees until you get onto I-84 in Sturbridge. Then you won't have to worry about tolls until you start following I-80 in OH.

There are no tolls at all on our route. We don't take the Mass Pike; I-80 fees don't start until the split with I-76, and I-76 is free. We DO pay a bridge toll when crossing the Hudson River, but that fee is only when you are traveling eastbound.

If you're leaving from the Boston area, you would have MA turnpike fees until you get onto I-84 in Sturbridge. Then you won't have to worry about tolls until you start following I-80 in OH.

I think my confusion is from thinking that I-80 is the Pennsylvania Tpke. It's not. So I'll have to think about using your route since it's only ~18 minutes longer and can save some money. I usually take Route 290 to the Mass Pike to 84. So I'm on the Pike for 1 exit.

The PA turnpike is I-76. It would make sense for us only if we wanted to head to I-70. The Pike is a rotten road, too, so avoid it if you can. However, I-80 is a nice road, mostly rolling hills with few steep climbs or drops, and decent scenery for farm country. We know some of the good spots to hit along the way; if you want any suggestions, send a PM my way with your general route when it gets closer to you leaving for Indiana.

Yesterday I discovered that Springfield has an honest to goodness Kringle bakery.. Previously I have only had Kringles from TJ's and once I found one in Aldi..

Today we went to the bakery and I have been smiling from the moment we walked in..
2 Pics..
One of the peaches and cream cheese Kringle we brought home, along with a cherry and an apple Danish.. Sooo good.. :yum:
The second pic is of their Kringle display.. So many to choose from..

Ross

Attachments

• Kringle and Danish.jpg
    Kringle and Danish.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 157
  • Kringle assortment.jpg
    Kringle assortment.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 137
PF, 103? That's wonderful - especially since she had a big gang of people show up to celebrate her. There was cake, right? ;)

Yesterday I discovered that Springfield has an honest to goodness Kringle bakery.. Previously I have only had Kringles from TJ's and once I found one in Aldi..

Today we went to the bakery and I have been smiling from the moment we walked in..
2 Pics..
One of the peaches and cream cheese Kringle we brought home, along with a cherry and an apple Danish.. Sooo good.. :yum:
The second pic is of their Kringle display.. So many to choose from..

Ross
While I just don't get the fascination with Kringles, those Danish sure do look tasty and flaky, even on my screen. Maybe I need to find a Kringle bakery so I can compare them to the TJ's version. I'm guessing you'll be needing a "frequent shopper" card for that bakery, Ross? :brows: "Buy ___, Get one Free!"

PF, 103? That's wonderful - especially since she had a big gang of people show up to celebrate her. There was cake, right? ;)

While I just don't get the fascination with Kringles, those Danish sure do look tasty and flaky, even on my screen. Maybe I need to find a Kringle bakery so I can compare them to the TJ's version. I'm guessing you'll be needing a "frequent shopper" card for that bakery, Ross? :brows: "Buy ___, Get one Free!"
I don't know about fascination, I just know they are delicious.. Possibly because, in my experience, most bakeries don't have them.. :)
and... they do have a "special shopper" system in place.. :LOL:
Ross

+1
When changing my Mom today, one of the tabs on the brief was missing. As I muttered about it under my breath, my Mom said "Use duct tape." And so I did (again).
I love the briefs we use, they are inexpensive, highly absorbent, have an anti-bacterial liner (0 UTIs since August 2016), and made in the USA. However, the QC is sometimes lax and one tab of the four is missing. Hence, the reason I keep duct tape on my Mom's bedside table.

When the gal came this morning to help me with my Mom, she said "Love how you used a pool noodle and duct tape to make a footrest on your Mom's Hoyer." I did that because my Mom's toes kept getting caught under the cross-bar and I didn't want her toes to get bruised. I laughed. Sometimes, I think watching MacGyver when I was younger really rubbed off on me. Duct tape does work.

When the gal came this morning to help me with my Mom, she said "Love how you used a pool noodle and duct tape to make a footrest on your Mom's Hoyer." I did that because my Mom's toes kept getting caught under the cross-bar and I didn't want her toes to get bruised. I laughed. Sometimes, I think watching MacGyver when I was younger really rubbed off on me. Duct tape does work.

Nobody ever likes my suggestions for duct tape and bubble wrap for our frequent fallers:rolleyes:

Love your idea, we get more bruising from the lifts than anything. You'd think the manufacturers would pad the lifts better.

Nobody ever likes my suggestions for duct tape and bubble wrap for our frequent fallers:rolleyes:

Love your idea, we get more bruising from the lifts than anything. You'd think the manufacturers would pad the lifts better.
I hadn't thought of things I could do with bubble wrap! The Hoyer we have has a metal handle to open and close the "bars". I slipped a pool noodle over that, too. We also put pillows (small) under her elbows so the sling straps don't bruise her, and I have made pads to fit where the lift hits her crotch. Solutions I never dreamt I would have to figure out. No offense, PF, but I think my Mom does get better care at home because I don't have to get approval to try these things and I only have one person who needs care (well, my Dad does too, but not at the high-level of care my Mom does. His is more that I have to find things he misplaces).
I don't know what I would do without duct tape!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom