"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Birthdays, Good Thoughts and DC Hugs

Old 08-19-2011, 12:33 PM   #4181
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
That commercial cracks me up! When that dude says "Hi, my name is Peggy", I lose it every time! What a hoot!

Supervisor is genius!

That line cracks me up. I used to work nights in a two person department. We took turns being the supervisor to handle irate calls.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:40 PM   #4182
Chef Extraordinaire

we have fun with that too!

whenever someone calls and tells us their clock is off (all clocks in our building are sync'd so all shows go out on time), we ask them if it is a square clock or round clock. all clockfaces are round, really, but some clocks are installed in square boxes or consoles. so we ask, and no matter what their answer is we tell them to call another extension, which happens to be the second line in our shop. lol.

they get really annoyed when the same person answers the second line, "square (or round) clock maintenance!!!"

yes, we're nerds....

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 03:41 PM   #4183
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
Ugh, I remember when the pants below the wasteline trend started. I don't mind most looks so long as they aren't trashy or lazy looking. The pants falling down looks lazy to me, the skirts that show the underwear look trashy.

I can't really say too much about extreme makeup. I used to own (and wear) lime green, ice blue, dark moss green, deep red, silver, and violet lipstick. I had eye shadow and mascara to match. I also used to wear white mascara.
The falling pants gave me a good laugh when I saw a couple of young men walking together with a soda in one hand and holding up their pants with the other. I had to laugh, they looked so silly.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:17 AM   #4184
Master Chef

Smile, heck, fall off our barstools laugh. At our friendly usual Friday get-together, I mentioned a computer glitch I was having registering my husband for a retired military benefit of a pair of glasses a year. But I referred to them as what we did call them in the military .... "Birth Control Glasses". I thought my friends would die laughing and I had to explain. There was a lot of mirth!
Old 08-21-2011, 01:23 AM   #4185
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
When someone wears clothing or makeup that shows class, I don't care how wild it is. In my lifetime, I think I've seen most of what can be done.

When someone wears clothing or makeup that shows no class, I recognize it for what it is; a person with no class who is just trying to draw attention to themselves. To that type of person, even negative attention is better than no attention.

Having class isn't a generational thing. It's something that fits all generations and times. People with no class have been the same type of person since Ug and Mrs. Ug lived at cave street in Dinotown.
I remember once, a couple of decades ago, way before it was common, seeing a young woman in a very conservative Virginia town diner, sporting bright purple hair. I just turned around and looked at her for a few seconds (not a rude stare), and one of my friends told me not to look at her. It's rude. I just laughed and said, well, surely she wants people to look at her! Otherwise she wouldn't do it. Of course now someone could come out with any color of hair whatsoever (fluorescent green?) and you wouldn't look twice.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:13 AM   #4186
Head Chef

What made me smile last night was an incidental benefit that came from being here in DC. The House Hunters International program on HGTV that many of us watch, in my case just to see what dwellings look like in other places of the world, featured a couple from Washington, DC, relocating to Gaborone, Botswana. Only two days ago I had Googled Gaborone because one of our DC family, Snip, lives there, and I didn't even know where in Africa it is located. What a happy coincidence, that I could get a thumbnail picture and brief visit there courtesy a fluff TV program. Very pretty place, Snip.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:47 PM   #4187
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I'm watching Latte' sleep.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:15 PM   #4188
Executive Chef

pacanis's turtle made out of woven bacon slices and hot dogs, spread out on the grill, trying to get "evenly done". :)
Old 08-21-2011, 09:25 PM   #4189
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60

What year did you graduate, Chopper? I am class of '78 and I remember lots of things done to the music of Steve Miller band.
Well...will you look at that? A classmate. I am also from the class of 78!
Old 08-21-2011, 09:27 PM   #4190
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60
51 in October...
Too funny...I'll be 51 in Sept!