"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Birthdays, Good Thoughts and DC Hugs

Old 11-29-2011, 10:25 PM   #4301
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60

LOL! His Mom could have said the exact same thing I did, but he doesn't believe her. I get calls when he is sick and just to chat. I'm his favorite phony buddy. And he is still cuddly and sweet, even though he tries to act tough.
I love middle school kids!

Old 12-02-2011, 12:49 AM   #4302
Chef Extraordinaire

watching my Aubrey singing her little heart out at the Christmas concert of her school. it was held in the town art center downtown. lovely theater. she was right in the front row of 400 kids. she is so into everything she does. make me smile and tear up just a bit. it is a blessing to live long enough to see great grandkids. precious.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:14 AM   #4303
Executive Chef

My baconlube arrived by fedex
Old 12-02-2011, 04:51 AM   #4304
Head Chef

^^ hehe Bolas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Um, let me see. Two of our granddaughters (really Glenn's) were here for Thanksgiving dinner, etc.

In one of the bedrooms I have an old camel back trunk that I've filled with "dress-up" stuff. There are goofy sequined shoes, clear "glass" slippers, sequined gowns, feather boas, rhinestone tiaras, rhinestone shoulder-sweep earrings, fur wraps, other things too numbered to mention but, suffice it to say, all those glamorous things any little girl would dream to immerse herself in to transform herself into the most awesome "star."

The thing that made me smile was the two of them coming down the hall totally decked out in sequined gowns, fur wraps, sequined shoes and rhinestone tiaras and holding the two small wine glasses I purchased for their dinner, filled with sparkling white grape juice. They strutted and swirled like true divas.

They were truly in the styulin' mode. Everyone got a huge laugh, as well as a super "awwwwwwww!"

Darn! To be 8-years-old again!!!!!
oooh wow My Grandma did the same for us and we had hours and hours of fun playing dress up. What a great memory you evoked! And what a wonderful thing for you to do for your grandbabies. <3

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:05 AM   #4305
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
watching my Aubrey singing her little heart out at the Christmas concert of her school. it was held in the town art center downtown. lovely theater. she was right in the front row of 400 kids. she is so into everything she does. make me smile and tear up just a bit. it is a blessing to live long enough to see great grandkids. precious.
Seeing as those Great-Grandkids are what you spent your entire life to acheive...I'd say you did a fantastic job of your life's work!
Old 12-06-2011, 01:44 PM   #4306
Certified Cake Maniac

I woke up feeling pretty rotten - pain levels are high, breathing a little laboured, my 3 day headache decided to start number 4 and food still isn't tasting like it should - it is still an effort to get nourishment into me.

First smile was that DH, for the second time in less than a week, left me a light but nourishing breakfast in my bento box.

Second smile was that a problem was solved regarding Dad's care Thursday morning when I will be gone early and he is going to his senior's program. His worker has to come an hour late so will be there to get him in his coat and settled into the wheelchair. I was going to phone and see if this could be arranged and it happened on it's own!

My biggest smile came a few minutes ago when a good friend of ours called up and said he wanted to deliver something. I am seeing his wife tonight, but he insisted he wanted to do this himself. This family is very special to us. Anyway, he brought a brown paper wrapped package that I knew in an instant was a book. Then, before I opened it he said he wrote it! What an encouragement. This man has so much on his heart and yet he kept apologizing that it wasn't well written or edited. I said that didn't matter. I can't wait to read it. I know I will it will lift my spirits. And it is such an encouragement to see our friend stepping out of his comfort zone.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 01:58 PM   #4307
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
I woke up feeling pretty rotten - pain levels are high, breathing a little laboured, my 3 day headache decided to start number 4 and food still isn't tasting like it should - it is still an effort to get nourishment into me.

First smile was that DH, for the second time in less than a week, left me a light but nourishing breakfast in my bento box.

Second smile was that a problem was solved regarding Dad's care Thursday morning when I will be gone early and he is going to his senior's program. His worker has to come an hour late so will be there to get him in his coat and settled into the wheelchair. I was going to phone and see if this could be arranged and it happened on it's own!

My biggest smile came a few minutes ago when a good friend of ours called up and said he wanted to deliver something. I am seeing his wife tonight, but he insisted he wanted to do this himself. This family is very special to us. Anyway, he brought a brown paper wrapped package that I knew in an instant was a book. Then, before I opened it he said he wrote it! What an encouragement. This man has so much on his heart and yet he kept apologizing that it wasn't well written or edited. I said that didn't matter. I can't wait to read it. I know I will it will lift my spirits. And it is such an encouragement to see our friend stepping out of his comfort zone.
I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling so poorly. Perhaps once you're up and around, you'll start feeling better! I hope so.

A nice hot cup of broth sometimes makes my body feel better when I have aches and pains.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:13 PM   #4308
Certified Cake Maniac

Thanks, Timothy!

I guess I should have added that these smiles turned my day around pretty fast!

Thanks for the tip on the broth. I can only handle vegetable broth right now - NOTHING to do with meat or poultry.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:28 PM   #4309
Chef Extraordinaire

yesterday, aubrey , my five year old. great granddaughter , and i made cinnamon rolls. watching her frost them all by her self, gave me a smile. then we ate them all. lol
Old 12-06-2011, 04:33 PM   #4310
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
yesterday, aubrey , my five year old. great granddaughter , and i made cinnamon rolls. watching her frost them all by her self, gave me a smile. then we ate them all. lol
The way you love your ggd's and the enjoyment you get from them and doing things with/for them always brings a smile to me, Babe!