"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Birthdays, Good Thoughts and DC Hugs
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-29-2011, 10:25 PM   #4301
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60

LOL! His Mom could have said the exact same thing I did, but he doesn't believe her. I get calls when he is sick and just to chat. I'm his favorite phony buddy. And he is still cuddly and sweet, even though he tries to act tough.
I love middle school kids!
__________________

__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:49 AM   #4302
Chef Extraordinaire
 
babetoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: escondido, calif. near san diego
Posts: 14,349
watching my Aubrey singing her little heart out at the Christmas concert of her school. it was held in the town art center downtown. lovely theater. she was right in the front row of 400 kids. she is so into everything she does. make me smile and tear up just a bit. it is a blessing to live long enough to see great grandkids. precious.
__________________

__________________
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:14 AM   #4303
Executive Chef
 
Bolas De Fraile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,193
My baconlube arrived by fedex
__________________
I was married by a judge, I should have asked for a jury.
Bolas De Fraile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:51 AM   #4304
Head Chef
 
Zereh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 1,548
^^ hehe Bolas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Um, let me see. Two of our granddaughters (really Glenn's) were here for Thanksgiving dinner, etc.

In one of the bedrooms I have an old camel back trunk that I've filled with "dress-up" stuff. There are goofy sequined shoes, clear "glass" slippers, sequined gowns, feather boas, rhinestone tiaras, rhinestone shoulder-sweep earrings, fur wraps, other things too numbered to mention but, suffice it to say, all those glamorous things any little girl would dream to immerse herself in to transform herself into the most awesome "star."

The thing that made me smile was the two of them coming down the hall totally decked out in sequined gowns, fur wraps, sequined shoes and rhinestone tiaras and holding the two small wine glasses I purchased for their dinner, filled with sparkling white grape juice. They strutted and swirled like true divas.

They were truly in the styulin' mode. Everyone got a huge laugh, as well as a super "awwwwwwww!"

Darn! To be 8-years-old again!!!!!
oooh wow My Grandma did the same for us and we had hours and hours of fun playing dress up. What a great memory you evoked! And what a wonderful thing for you to do for your grandbabies. <3
__________________
~~
Zereh

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:05 AM   #4305
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
watching my Aubrey singing her little heart out at the Christmas concert of her school. it was held in the town art center downtown. lovely theater. she was right in the front row of 400 kids. she is so into everything she does. make me smile and tear up just a bit. it is a blessing to live long enough to see great grandkids. precious.
Seeing as those Great-Grandkids are what you spent your entire life to acheive...I'd say you did a fantastic job of your life's work!
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 01:44 PM   #4306
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North, Surrey, BC
Posts: 18,928
I woke up feeling pretty rotten - pain levels are high, breathing a little laboured, my 3 day headache decided to start number 4 and food still isn't tasting like it should - it is still an effort to get nourishment into me.

First smile was that DH, for the second time in less than a week, left me a light but nourishing breakfast in my bento box.

Second smile was that a problem was solved regarding Dad's care Thursday morning when I will be gone early and he is going to his senior's program. His worker has to come an hour late so will be there to get him in his coat and settled into the wheelchair. I was going to phone and see if this could be arranged and it happened on it's own!

My biggest smile came a few minutes ago when a good friend of ours called up and said he wanted to deliver something. I am seeing his wife tonight, but he insisted he wanted to do this himself. This family is very special to us. Anyway, he brought a brown paper wrapped package that I knew in an instant was a book. Then, before I opened it he said he wrote it! What an encouragement. This man has so much on his heart and yet he kept apologizing that it wasn't well written or edited. I said that didn't matter. I can't wait to read it. I know I will it will lift my spirits. And it is such an encouragement to see our friend stepping out of his comfort zone.
__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffiene-free and loving it!


http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 01:58 PM   #4307
Executive Chef
 
Timothy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
Posts: 2,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
I woke up feeling pretty rotten - pain levels are high, breathing a little laboured, my 3 day headache decided to start number 4 and food still isn't tasting like it should - it is still an effort to get nourishment into me.

First smile was that DH, for the second time in less than a week, left me a light but nourishing breakfast in my bento box.

Second smile was that a problem was solved regarding Dad's care Thursday morning when I will be gone early and he is going to his senior's program. His worker has to come an hour late so will be there to get him in his coat and settled into the wheelchair. I was going to phone and see if this could be arranged and it happened on it's own!

My biggest smile came a few minutes ago when a good friend of ours called up and said he wanted to deliver something. I am seeing his wife tonight, but he insisted he wanted to do this himself. This family is very special to us. Anyway, he brought a brown paper wrapped package that I knew in an instant was a book. Then, before I opened it he said he wrote it! What an encouragement. This man has so much on his heart and yet he kept apologizing that it wasn't well written or edited. I said that didn't matter. I can't wait to read it. I know I will it will lift my spirits. And it is such an encouragement to see our friend stepping out of his comfort zone.
I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling so poorly. Perhaps once you're up and around, you'll start feeling better! I hope so.

A nice hot cup of broth sometimes makes my body feel better when I have aches and pains.
__________________
Confirmed Sushi Addict
Timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 02:13 PM   #4308
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North, Surrey, BC
Posts: 18,928
Thanks, Timothy!

I guess I should have added that these smiles turned my day around pretty fast!

Thanks for the tip on the broth. I can only handle vegetable broth right now - NOTHING to do with meat or poultry.
__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffiene-free and loving it!


http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:28 PM   #4309
Chef Extraordinaire
 
babetoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: escondido, calif. near san diego
Posts: 14,349
yesterday, aubrey , my five year old. great granddaughter , and i made cinnamon rolls. watching her frost them all by her self, gave me a smile. then we ate them all. lol
__________________
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:33 PM   #4310
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North, Surrey, BC
Posts: 18,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
yesterday, aubrey , my five year old. great granddaughter , and i made cinnamon rolls. watching her frost them all by her self, gave me a smile. then we ate them all. lol
The way you love your ggd's and the enjoyment you get from them and doing things with/for them always brings a smile to me, Babe!
__________________

__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffiene-free and loving it!


http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.