"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Birthdays, Good Thoughts and DC Hugs

Old 09-27-2012, 06:20 PM   #4821
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
a great big smile from lilly when she saw the dress i got for her. early bday present. she had a tough time with her older sister and all her gifts. i gave her a hello kitty dress. lilly cried, she wanted one too. so i got her one exactly like her sisters. she twirled, and smiled, and hugged me. then i had a big smile myself/
babe, way to go you're de MA I've always since the kids were little and a new sibling arrived made sure each got a present for birthdays. It's so hard for a child to sit and watch others open presents. So a little inexpensive present is always there for the non-birthday child. Today we bought Halloween bags for all 4 kids. Cade is having a family party Sat. so each child gets a trick or treat bag and some candy Cade get's money for a game he wants plus candy and a bag. And all will be right with the world on Sat. If I don't forget the cake and deviled eggs. I'll bet your little girl will remember this kindness forever. What a MA you are,
kades

Old 09-27-2012, 08:16 PM   #4822
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I just have to share this with you. It brought a smile to my face.

From an email my daughter sent me this afternoon:

The other day when Steven was saying that he missed you, I explained that you had to go to the doctor for your shoulder and that it would be in a sling for a while and you wouldn’t be able to use it. He was ok with that but then stopped and said “But Mommy if I go there, I can’t carry all of his groceries!” I told him not to worry, that I was sure you wouldn’t expect him to do that. Then he was quiet and said “He won’t be able to pick me up at all?” I told him not right now but maybe at some point when your shoulder got better. He seemed to be ok after that.

Gotta get my shoulder working soon!
Sounds like excellent incentive! How was the appointment today, did the doc think you were doing well?

Old 09-27-2012, 08:20 PM   #4823
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I just have to share this with you. It brought a smile to my face.

From an email my daughter sent me this afternoon:

The other day when Steven was saying that he missed you, I explained that you had to go to the doctor for your shoulder and that it would be in a sling for a while and you wouldn’t be able to use it. He was ok with that but then stopped and said “But Mommy if I go there, I can’t carry all of his groceries!” I told him not to worry, that I was sure you wouldn’t expect him to do that. Then he was quiet and said “He won’t be able to pick me up at all?” I told him not right now but maybe at some point when your shoulder got better. He seemed to be ok after that.

Gotta get my shoulder working soon!
Andy call him on the phone and let him know that you have a whole slew of hugs and kisses for him.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:44 AM   #4824
Chef Extraordinaire

My Steve coming home and knowing he has the next 4 days off work, lots of quality time to spend together
Old 09-28-2012, 08:38 AM   #4825
Chef Extraordinaire

Rocky crowed four times this morning. He is in hospital (read that, in a Vari300 in the basement, with the woodstove going to keep him warm enough). He was allowed out for about 2 hours yesterday to visit the girls. We noticed he is limping so he was readmitted to hospital and will remain in isolation until ? But, he woke me up at 7 crowing! He hadn't made a sound since I found him last Saturday without his new girls. This was very unusual--Rocky is one mouthy rooster. And, he's eating and drinking today. He hadn't eaten since Monday until I brought him home Wednesday evening. I don't have Nurse Eggatha in with him, but if he gets depressed, I'll bring her back in to keep him company.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:42 AM   #4826
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

He must be feeling a bit better, Chicken Nurse!
Old 09-28-2012, 09:20 AM   #4827
Chef Extraordinaire

We'll see. I'm flushing his wounds with saline...not an easy thing to do alone when holding a rooster on your lap that is swaddled in a towel so he can't get you with his spurs and using a hand that doesn't work well thanks to his attack on me in the Spring. We don't have the best history. But, maybe after this, he will stop seeing me as one of the bad guys and stop trying to attack me. All this for a rooster I don't really like since he damaged the tendon in my hand...
Old 09-28-2012, 11:16 AM   #4828
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Smile? More like laugh.

Wednesday my very, very best friend of 58+ years and I went out to play for the day. She retired at the end of last school term after teaching for 40+ years and is adapting to retirement quite nicely.

We went out shopping, had manicures and lunch out. We noticed as we entered the restaurant for lunch that there was a sign stating that "senior citizens" would eat at a discount on Wednesdays. Yeah!

We enjoyed our meal, received our check and prepared to pay. My friend looked at the totals and remarked that the discount hadn't been applied. I commented that, perhaps, that was computed at the register and we went to the front to pay.

One of us said to the cashier that the senior discount was valid in our case and said it hadn't been deducted. The cashier said that the waitress told her that we didn't look old enough to qualify as "seniors."

Both of us giggled and thanked the girl for making our day.

I'm still smiling.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:28 PM   #4829
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Yay! Katie, that is so cool.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:44 PM   #4830
Chef Extraordinaire

That would make your day for sure

My mum has a seniors card too, but she is actually very young looking and dresses quite trendy, with the modern hairstyle etc, people always cant believe it when she brings out her seniors card

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Smile? More like laugh.

Wednesday my very, very best friend of 58+ years and I went out to play for the day. She retired at the end of last school term after teaching for 40+ years and is adapting to retirement quite nicely.

We went out shopping, had manicures and lunch out. We noticed as we entered the restaurant for lunch that there was a sign stating that "senior citizens" would eat at a discount on Wednesdays. Yeah!

We enjoyed our meal, received our check and prepared to pay. My friend looked at the totals and remarked that the discount hadn't been applied. I commented that, perhaps, that was computed at the register and we went to the front to pay.

One of us said to the cashier that the senior discount was valid in our case and said it hadn't been deducted. The cashier said that the waitress told her that we didn't look old enough to qualify as "seniors."

Both of us giggled and thanked the girl for making our day.

I'm still smiling.

« Finally | - »