"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Birthdays, Good Thoughts and DC Hugs

Old 01-12-2013, 03:09 PM   #5081
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post

Unless she is talking about petting caterpillars.
Oh no! Never pet a butterfly! The swallowtail caterpillars shoot little red horns out of their heads and THEN smell like dill!

Old 01-12-2013, 04:22 PM   #5082
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Which TL?

Sorry. TinLizzie

Old 01-12-2013, 07:25 PM   #5083
Chef Extraordinaire

The last thing that made me smile is the rain that is happening right now and the lovely cool change it has bought with it
Old 01-12-2013, 09:49 PM   #5084
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
The last thing that made me smile is the rain that is happening right now and the lovely cool change it has bought with it
Kylie, I hope Australia gets a really heavy downpour in the areas it is needed so desperately.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:34 PM   #5085
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Oh no! Never pet a butterfly! The swallowtail caterpillars shoot little red horns out of their heads and THEN smell like dill!
'Cause then the magic flying powder would come off on your fingers and they wouldn't be able to fly.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:42 AM   #5086
Head Chef

You guys are all a trip!

My milkweed planting is pretty sparse and I was actually surprised to see caterpillars this season. Hope they have enough to eat.

I have a Dutchman's Pipe vine in a pot but can't decide where to plant it. They grow into a pretty hefty plant and I don't want to stifle it. It has an interesting bloom with a pretty nasty smell, but is supposed to attract butterflies -- the black swallowtail, I think.

I'm hoping to get a Passionflower Vine as well but have limited space in full sun, which is part of the problem with the Pipe vine. I'm not sure I can overcome this, but have a "pipe dream" of putting up supports in the yard, much like those in a vineyard.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:24 AM   #5087
Executive Chef

tin, your talk of fuzzy caterpillars and butterflies makes me smile whenever i think of it, and when i picture you feeding the caterpillars. and then, this morning, you reveal all these plans you have to plant and stake an entire garden for them! (big grin)
it's really a shame that some of our less desirable insects and other creepy little creatures can't get dressed up in soft fuzzy coats and colorful stripes. can you imagine all the love and petting they are missing out on, just for being ugly, scary and disgusting?:)
i don't think anything that grows on my patio will attract any caterpillars, but i do wonder what i might use to lure miniature albino toads to my lair. last summer, this whitish little toad, no bigger than my thumbnail, spent a number of days hanging out on my patio-- sometimes in a geranium pot, sunning himself on the balcony rail, or a lawn chair, weather permitting. got sorta attached to the little guy. i don't know what sort of things he liked to eat. do i need to buy another geranium plant, or....?
Old 01-13-2013, 12:08 PM   #5088
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
tin, your talk of fuzzy caterpillars and butterflies makes me smile whenever i think of it, and when i picture you feeding the caterpillars. and then, this morning, you reveal all these plans you have to plant and stake an entire garden for them! (big grin)
it's really a shame that some of our less desirable insects and other creepy little creatures can't get dressed up in soft fuzzy coats and colorful stripes. can you imagine all the love and petting they are missing out on, just for being ugly, scary and disgusting?:)
i don't think anything that grows on my patio will attract any caterpillars, but i do wonder what i might use to lure miniature albino toads to my lair. last summer, this whitish little toad, no bigger than my thumbnail, spent a number of days hanging out on my patio-- sometimes in a geranium pot, sunning himself on the balcony rail, or a lawn chair, weather permitting. got sorta attached to the little guy. i don't know what sort of things he liked to eat. do i need to buy another geranium plant, or....?
Sounds adorable. Get pix next time you see one, please.

Almost all adult frogs (toads are frogs) are carnivorous and eat just about anything in the animal kingdom small enough to get in their mouths. Insects are high on the list.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:32 PM   #5089
Executive Chef

The last thing that made me smile, was how much my 3 yr old granddaughter loved her
" princess" play tent and how when this nana with a pinched nerve and a muscle spasm crawled into the tent with her she covered me up and said "there Nana, does your back feel all better now? You take a nap, you will feel better."
Old 01-13-2013, 12:45 PM   #5090
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebunny View Post
The last thing that made me smile, was how much my 3 yr old granddaughter loved her
" princess" play tent and how when this nana with a pinched nerve and a muscle spasm crawled into the tent with her she covered me up and said "there Nana, does your back feel all better now? You take a nap, you will feel better."
SB how wonderrful, your granddaughter loves you so much. I feel so good for you. I do know that feeeling and it makes you whole body smile. Go give her a big hug for me. She is a treasure.
kades