"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Birthdays, Good Thoughts and DC Hugs

Old 04-20-2013, 02:36 PM   #5411
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
Giving a 30% off Savers coupon card to a lady behind me in line.

She had small kids with her. I noticed in her cart that it had kids clothes/ shoes in it. Not very much.

I had already used my full card. Had another that I couldn't use by the due date. So I passed it to her. She didn't now about the discount cards. Gave a quick explanation about them.

I noticed before I left that she had gotten out of the checkout line.
Went back to the kids section and was picking out a little more clothes for the kids. She was happy. It was nice to give someone a break that appreciated it.
So cool, Munky! Thank you for your inspiration.

Old 04-20-2013, 02:37 PM   #5412
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:

She had small kids with her. I noticed in her cart that it had kids clothes/ shoes in it. Not very much.

I had already used my full card. Had another that I couldn't use by the due date. So I passed it to her. She didn't now about the discount cards. Gave a quick explanation about them.

Went back to the kids section and was picking out a little more clothes for the kids. She was happy. It was nice to give someone a break that appreciated it.
Nice!

Old 04-20-2013, 02:45 PM   #5413
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:

Sweet, Munky!
Old 04-20-2013, 02:48 PM   #5414
Honey Badger

It was nothing, really. Happy to help. It's my reward visit after I have a visit with the Head Hunters.

I love that store. They restock everyday with new , quite often brand new never opened items. Top quality stuff. Macy's, JC Penny's, etc, etc...

By the time I had bought brand new material, sewing supplies. I racked up 2 more cards. Savers has a deal for every $5.00 you spend, or donate at the door in the bins. They will stamp a card. Even if the card hasn't been used by the due date they give you a 4 day grace period to redeem it.

Savers Thrift Stores | Good deeds. Great deals.

It all works out.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:23 PM   #5415
Chef Extraordinaire

The rain I woke up to this morning, I love rain
Old 04-20-2013, 06:28 PM   #5416
Executive Chef

Our car show today was at a veterans home. It was wonderful to show our cars and trucks to the residents there and listen to their stories of when they were in the military. We spoke to several WWII vets who had fascinating stories to tell. It just felt good to make them smile, and in turn we are still smiling about it.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:31 AM   #5417
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper
Our car show today was at a veterans home. It was wonderful to show our cars and trucks to the residents there and listen to their stories of when they were in the military. We spoke to several WWII vets who had fascinating stories to tell. It just felt good to make them smile, and in turn we are still smiling about it.
Good for you Chop!

I never miss an opportunity to thank a vet.

They richly deserve our respect and gratitude.

Occasionally they take the time to talk to me about their service. Sometimes they have funny stories and sometimes their stories are heartbreaking.

Sadly I see fewer and fewer of the WWII vets. They are dying off but their service and sacrifice should never be forgotten.

Let's not forget the wonderful nurses that cared for and comforted the wounded.

These incredible women and men also carry the burden of the carnage and loss of life and limb that they've seen.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:12 AM   #5418
Master Chef

Seeing on the news the story (once again) about Team Hoyt. After all the tragic events that revolved around the Boston Marathon this past Monday I'm glad the TV station reminds people of this uplifting story. What a great relationship this father and son have.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:43 AM   #5419
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Seeing on the news the story (once again) about Team Hoyt. After all the tragic events that revolved around the Boston Marathon this past Monday I'm glad the TV station reminds people of this uplifting story. What a great relationship this father and son have.
Thanks for the link. We have recently admitted a man with CP, same age as Rick Hoyt, and his medical history says he is "profoundly mentally retarded" but he hears and understands what is said to him, is able to express his dislike or anger with facial expressions. I wonder now if he'd had the same life experience as Rick Hoyt he would have thrived.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:17 PM   #5420
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharris View Post
Good for you Chop!

I never miss an opportunity to thank a vet.

They richly deserve our respect and gratitude.

Occasionally they take the time to talk to me about their service. Sometimes they have funny stories and sometimes their stories are heartbreaking.

Sadly I see fewer and fewer of the WWII vets. They are dying off but their service and sacrifice should never be forgotten.

Let's not forget the wonderful nurses that cared for and comforted the wounded.

These incredible women and men also carry the burden of the carnage and loss of life and limb that they've seen.
Thanks. My service was during peace time, and I thank God that it was, but I am ever so grateful for those who fight and have fought for our freedom. My Dad was in the Marines right at the end of WWII, and also fought in the Korean War. It was a humbling experience yesterday, and not one I will forget.