"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Birthdays, Good Thoughts and DC Hugs

Old 04-21-2013, 02:47 PM   #5421
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Thanks for the link. We have recently admitted a man with CP, same age as Rick Hoyt, and his medical history says he is "profoundly mentally retarded" but he hears and understands what is said to him, is able to express his dislike or anger with facial expressions. I wonder now if he'd had the same life experience as Rick Hoyt he would have thrived.
PF, of all the runners in the Marathon, this father/son team get the loudest cheers from the folks on the sidelines all along the whole 24.6 miles of the race. And the TV stations always cover them while they are running and on the six o'clock news at night. It wouldn't be news if they didn't cover them. When they cross the finish line, you would think they ran the race in under ten minutes and came in first. I personally think they are the most important ones in the race. It shows what love can do.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:11 AM   #5422
Chef Extraordinaire

i finally got through to a "difficult" boy tonight at baseball practice.

he has obvious attention problems, and while he coyld be a great athlete, he dogs it during our workouts, gets distracted all the time, and pays no attention to our instruction doing whatever he likes.
but i found a couple of keys to him tonight that i hope i can develop.

during warmups, i told him to throw the ball at me as hard as he could've (with proper form, looking dead red into my mitt, stepping straight at me, and firing the ball as hard as he could as if he was pointing at me) and he was great. i told him i could catch anything he throws so not to be afraid to let it go, and he did. crack, right into my mitt. time after time.
woohoo, i complimented him on every throw that was perfect, and corrected his minor flaws, and he got better, and faster, and we both really enjoyed it.

then, noticing that he craves attention but gets lost easily or simply rebels, i squatted down (no cup ) and worked a bit with him on focusing in on nothing else but throwing strikes crack went my mitt, time after time.
so i dangled the carrot in front of him that he could be one of our pitchers.
you shoulda seen his face.

if i can but teach a little focus and technique, and of course he has just a little success, we all win. with failure and continued support, he wins even more. he needs both.

it's going to be tough as he's a very moody kid, but i'm willing to try. he can really benefit from this in so many ways.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:03 AM   #5423
Master Chef

Wow bt, I wish I could reach right over and give you a big hug! I marvel at people who have the patience to work with those kinds of kids. Of course those are exactly the kids that need the extra support. And all this on no sleep since last week Wednesday! Great job!

BTW, if you turn him into a credible pitcher could you please call the Cleveland Indians and offer your services? Ubaldo Jimenez could use all the help he can get!
Old 04-22-2013, 03:14 AM   #5424
Chef Extraordinaire

lol, thanks cg.

kids are easy to work with in sports. they're kids for gods sakes. they're not expected to perform. just have fun and learn without knowing it.

it branches out from there.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:03 PM   #5425
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
lol, thanks cg.

kids are easy to work with in sports. they're kids for gods sakes. they're not expected to perform. just have fun and learn without knowing it.

it branches out from there.
Thanks for your patience and good work. You make a difference. How wonderful. It feels good to hear of such kind acts of love for mankind.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:56 PM   #5426
Chef Extraordinaire

thanks, chop. you well know tbrough scouts how to teach kids the basic things in life that they'll use forever.

lol, scouting is very cerebral and about survival in an unexpected kind of way. it teaches preparedness, smart execution, and safety. all good traits.

sports, especially baseball, are a bit different up front (seemingly all about performance in critical situations with immediate results), but really it's just like scouting.

prepare with practice; learn about the zillions of variables in every possible play to do what is the best or most effective (safest) outcome; execute in the situation when it's needed to survive, or rather win in this case.

no wonder baseball is our national pastime.

Old 04-24-2013, 06:10 PM   #5427
Chef Extraordinaire

Knowing I have the next 4 days to spend with my Steve

He has 4 days of work
Old 04-24-2013, 06:58 PM   #5428
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post

He has 4 days of work
I assume you mean he has four days off? Have fun! I know how much you like to do things together!
Old 04-24-2013, 08:54 PM   #5429
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks so much Chops xx

Yes he has today off due to it being a public holiday and he also booked Friday off and then of course the weekend

Yes, off, not of LOL
Old 04-25-2013, 12:28 AM   #5430
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969

He has 4 days of work
I say you two go on another holiday adventure. I had such a good time on the last one.

:)