"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Birthdays, Good Thoughts and DC Hugs

Old 04-25-2013, 10:29 PM   #5441
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

If Shrek wasn't my best friend I would go nuts...he's the only person who can put up with me.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:25 PM   #5442
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
If Shrek wasn't my best friend I would go nuts...he's the only person who can put up with me.

Smiling because tomorrow is Friday!

Old 04-25-2013, 11:28 PM   #5443
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:

I'm also fortunate to have such a person in my life.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:46 PM   #5444
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I'm also fortunate to have such a person in my life.
Does SO also wipe up your drool when you fall asleep watching TV? Or does she slam a book down to wake you up?
Old 04-26-2013, 12:10 AM   #5445
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Reading about happily married couples...Shrek and I have been together almost 33 years and married almost 28. Of course this is contingent on me not smothering him in his sleep...
There were times when it was a miracle if one of my marriages lasted 28 minutes! Twelve for the first and six for the second. And I outlived both of them. I think the only reason each one lasted as long as they did is because they were both seafarers and not home for long stretches. It gave me the opportunity to raise the kids the way I wanted to without interference.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:56 AM   #5446
Master Chef

Quote:
Reading about happily married couples...Shrek and I have been together almost 33 years and married almost 28. Of course this is contingent on me not smothering him in his sleep...
Sometimes, when I'm feeling extra silly (because I feel plain old silly most of the time) and someone asks me how long we've been married I'll tell them "we've been happily married for 32 years and we'll celebrate our 39th wedding anniversary this November". Mostly humor, but anyone who has been married long enough knows there sometimes are rough patches. If that rough patch is just an annoyance and not real trouble (think abuse or serial unfaithfulness) and you stick it out it's just as sweet as the rainbow after a bad storm. And let me tell you, it was stormy when the kids were twinfants.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:54 AM   #5447
Chef Extraordinaire

wow, 39 years, cg. congrats.

i guess it's a marathon, not a sprint. my parents celebrated their 65th wedding anniversary this past january.

a few summers ago, my wife, son and i were hanging out back by the pool with our neighbor's kid and her teenaged cousin (babysitter).

when dw went into the house to get some snacks, the babysitter started innocently asking me some questions about my family and i: when we moved into our house, when we got married, when we had our son, and so on.

earlier, and unbeknownst to me, she had asked dw how old she was, to which she got a "modified" answer. my wife had begun to shave 10 or 12 years off her age when anybody asked, but never thought about her dopey, old, and unfortunately honest husband , and a quick minded teenager.

but then when dw went inside, the basbysitter asked me how old i was, and how long dw and i have been together.

doing a quick calculation, a horrified look came upon her face!

she said, "you met your wife when she was only 11! that's really creepy!"

i laughed so hard, and stumbled to try to explain that my wife wasn't completely truthful about her age.

just as dw came outside with the snacks.

i still hear about that one every now and again.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:02 AM   #5448
Chef Extraordinaire

and here's the last thing that made me smile:

my boy on the mound

i've gotta work on his leg drive, but he's got good upper body form. that darn mound is shaped so oddly since the field is artificial turf that it's hard for the little guys to land just right.

and lol, i guess my right fielder has a lot of confidence in my boy's pitching ability in the second pic.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:25 AM   #5449
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
BT, you reminded me of something made me smile. When I was a student I rented a room from a lady who claimed to be 85. Then the census forms came around and when it was my turn to fill in data, I noticed that she was actually 90.

She must have shaved off five years at some point and could never "catch up".

BTW. I know it used to be common to shave 5-10 years off their age, but I thought that had pretty much stopped.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:29 AM   #5450
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

If you are going to lie about your age, do it right...add ten years. I look fantastic for a 62 year old!