"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Birthdays, Good Thoughts and DC Hugs

Old 06-12-2013, 08:42 PM   #5591
Chef Extraordinaire

The rain

Old 06-12-2013, 10:29 PM   #5592
Chef Extraordinaire

my boy and i went to see a game of our old team from last year (6, 7, and 8 year olds) and i was suprised at how many hugs, kisses, and heartfelt handshakes we got from all of the parents whise kids were still on the team. it was nice to see my old coach run his team as well. he's such a great guy, donating so much time to the littlest of baseball players, ensuring they have a lifetime love of the game right from the start. so many coaches as well as parents could learn a lesson or two from him.

i was blessed to gave him as my boy's first coach, and my first head coach and mentor.

i can't wait until their end of the season party. i'm going to offer to cook a few things for it, probably sausages and meatballs, and (my dreaded) braised pulled pork.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:55 PM   #5593
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
This.

Back in January I bought a pretty miniature rose at Kroger. It was an impulse purchase but it was a bright spot in a dreary, wintry day. At any rate, I took care of it, on a table inside near the front doors, and brought it outside when I figured it would survive, put it in a bigger pot and let have lots and lots of nice sunshine.

Well, it's done more than survive. It is thriving. I pruned it back a bit to tidy it up and, just for the heck of it, jammed one of the cuttings back into the pot. The cutting has taken root and is now producing new foliage. Looks like I'll have two roses.

In any case, the rose is blooming today, with another bloom right behind ready to show off. Isn't it a sweet thing?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	004 - Copy (3).jpg
Views:	81
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	18072  
Old 06-13-2013, 04:09 PM   #5594
Chef Extraordinaire

I love roses. When I lived in Malden, I bought a rose bush and planted it. It was the kind that grows along fences. I went by the house last year and the whole fence is now covered with roses.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:39 PM   #5595
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

So pretty, Katie. And those mini roses are hardy little things. I've got them all over, planted directly in the ground, and they do really well in our (rather harsh) climate. They're not grafted and are tougher and less finicky than the hybrid teas.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:11 PM   #5596
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
This.

Back in January I bought a pretty miniature rose at Kroger. It was an impulse purchase but it was a bright spot in a dreary, wintry day. At any rate, I took care of it, on a table inside near the front doors, and brought it outside when I figured it would survive, put it in a bigger pot and let have lots and lots of nice sunshine.

Well, it's done more than survive. It is thriving. I pruned it back a bit to tidy it up and, just for the heck of it, jammed one of the cuttings back into the pot. The cutting has taken root and is now producing new foliage. Looks like I'll have two roses.

In any case, the rose is blooming today, with another bloom right behind ready to show off. Isn't it a sweet thing?

so pretty, and I adore the color. yes, it is a sweet thing, katie. you are a sweet thing, katie....
Old 06-13-2013, 08:21 PM   #5597
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Beautiful rose, Katie!
Old 06-13-2013, 08:28 PM   #5598
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Got an e-mail from my sister last night, she was finally calming down after a rather frantic day. A customer hit the floor, wasn't breathing and had no pulse, Sis says she doesn't remember getting down the ladder, but suddenly she was doing hands only CPR. The guy is fin and in the hospital, a couple of broken ribs. Sounds like with the broken ribs she was doing it right! I'm very proud of her!
Old 06-14-2013, 03:25 PM   #5599
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Back in January I bought a pretty miniature rose at Kroger.....In any case, the rose is blooming today, with another bloom right behind ready to show off. Isn't it a sweet thing?
Katie, that is so pretty! Never thought that I could put them outside though. Hm, learn sumthin' new every day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Got an e-mail from my sister last night, she was finally calming down after a rather frantic day. A customer hit the floor, wasn't breathing and had no pulse, Sis says she doesn't remember getting down the ladder, but suddenly she was doing hands only CPR. The guy is fin and in the hospital, a couple of broken ribs. Sounds like with the broken ribs she was doing it right! I'm very proud of her!
If you break the person's rib you did it right? Considering the alternative, though, it's a small pain to put up with. That's really neat that your sis reacted so quickly. Guess helping people runs in the family.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:28 PM   #5600
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
One of the side effects of properly administering CPR.

Many years ago I heard of a patient suing the private citizen that administered CPR because his ribs were broken. Geesh!