"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Birthdays, Good Thoughts and DC Hugs

Old 07-21-2013, 03:18 AM   #5771
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Got an RSVP back from my best friend's mother, and they are making the trek from upstate NY to our wedding in Maine. They are older and I never thought that they would make the trip and I surely wouldn't have expected them to.

I'm truly humbled by how many people are going out of their way to be there for us. So far, people from NC, SC, NY, PA, MA and lots of people in Maine.
That's cuz lots of people love and care for you guys. Besides, if the wedding is IN Maine those danged Mainers had better show up!

Old 07-21-2013, 03:44 AM   #5772
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
My girlfriend's husband had just finished building their new house. They found out that first year, cathedral ceilings, too high to cool in the summer and too expensive to heat in the winter. Also too difficult to clean out spider webs. No way to clean that window right under the peak. They put the house on the market before they had even been in the house for a full year. He immediately bought a new piece of land and started their second new home. This time regular height for the ceilings. Fortunately they are no longer the height of fashion.
No offense, but I wonder if their ventilation in the house was set up right? Our last home had two full cathedral ceilings and the back of the house was a half-vault full across from side to side, 8 feet at the back wall rising up to the second floor where the hallway overlooked the back half of the family room and the dinette.

We never had cobwebs because I would dust where the ceiling and wall met, and the ceiling peak, with my handy extendable Webster duster. Twice a year I would get up on our 5' stepladder and clean the half-round window...and then have to pull the cat off the window sill before I could fold up the ladder . Our bathroom had a plant ledge running along both sides of the room and I kept live plants up there for years, stepping up and down a stepstool to water and groom them and never felt like it was trouble. And our heating for that 2527 square foot house was barely more than what we had paid for our just-under 1700 house before it. Can't talk about the cooling because the first house didn't have it; the pictured house had a heat pump. I LOVED that last home and would trade it even up for this shoebox with 7 1/2 foot ceiling we have now, all 2000 square feet of it.

Just thinking of our last house and our dear neighbors makes me smile wide. And the waterlily pond Himself and our daughter dug and set up for me in front of our garage, along the walkway to the front door. Loved that pond...since I couldn't hear the frogs singing all night from OUR bedroom. Our neighbor said to let her know when we're ready to move back and they'll work on the woman who owns our old house to get her to sell back to us.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:36 AM   #5773
Chef Extraordinaire

Mum being home from her holidays
Old 07-21-2013, 03:25 PM   #5774
Master Chef

Glad to hear that Kylie! Hope she and her companion took lots of pictures for you to look over!
Old 07-21-2013, 05:30 PM   #5775
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks so much CG
Old 07-22-2013, 11:22 PM   #5776
Contest Winner

Just watched a couple episodes from the new season of "An Idiot Abroad." Laughed my arse off. Karl Pilkington is HILARIOUS! HAHAHAH.

Here is a clip from the first season:
Old 07-23-2013, 12:14 AM   #5777
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumblebee View Post
Just watched a couple episodes from the new season of "An Idiot Abroad." Laughed my arse off. Karl Pilkington is HILARIOUS! HAHAHAH.

Here is a clip from the first season:
Laughing so hard I can't breathe..."what if she sees a spider in the bath?"
Old 07-23-2013, 12:30 AM   #5778
Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Laughing so hard I can't breathe..."what if she sees a spider in the bath?"
Watch the whole episode. You'll die! All the Idiot Abroad episodes are hilarious.

Linkage to part 1 of episode 1 from the first season:

Part 2:

Part 3:
Old 07-23-2013, 12:32 AM   #5779
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumblebee View Post

Watch the whole episode. You'll die! All the Idiot Abroad episodes are hilarious.

Linkage to part 1 of episode 1 from the first season:

Part 2:

Part 3:
Gah! Too funny!

Thanks for the links, GB!
Old 07-23-2013, 12:54 AM   #5780
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Yes, thanks...I knew I should have been watching it all along. It's not like we don't watch BBC America.