"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Birthdays, Good Thoughts and DC Hugs

Old 07-03-2014, 08:28 AM   #6581
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
it's worth noting too, not everyone is gonna be as amazing. The Henri guy is in a touring band, equally as awesome to listen to.
Nice video, thanks.

We have several pianos through out the facility. A few residents are very good and give impromptu performances. If I could play, I would spend my breaks at the piano.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:27 PM   #6582
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
There should be pianos in more train stations. This really made me smile. I needed that.

This was great Taxy! Thanks for sharing. Isn't it odd how some people are just plain oblivious? I guess "you gotta have the music in ya". I quite enjoyed it!

Old 07-03-2014, 12:37 PM   #6583
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I was boggled by the guy with the ear buds and the sign with a name. I call people like that "oblivitrons".
Old 07-03-2014, 12:53 PM   #6584
Chef Extraordinaire

I will often find a You Tube that lasts for about an hour and let it play while I am on the computer. Or I will get one of my discs and let it play.

At night when I am settling down for sleep, I will put on the channel that is an arts channel. They play everything from ballet to Broadway. Puts me right to sleep. I HAVE to have music in my life!
Old 07-03-2014, 01:34 PM   #6585
Certified Cake Maniac

A new family moved into our building in June. I seem to get to know all the kids very quickly or should I say they get to know me! These two are a young boy of 10 and his 6 year old sister. A couple of weeks after they moved in, they asked my neighbour if they had any milk and they didn't but said to try me. When the Mom declared that she didn't know me, the boy said "we know Laurie, she is really great!". So, milk they got!

Well yesterday, I commented that the girl had a very pretty top with butterflies and daisies on it. I told her those were two of my favourite things. She thanked me and then said "you are looking rather lovely today". My heart melted and I had to turn away before she noticed my chuckle at these words coming out of someone so young!

I think these two are going to be providing a lot of smiles.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:45 PM   #6586
Certified Cake Maniac

Thanks, Taxy, for the video. Good pianists always make me smile!

They have started putting a few pianos around Vancouver, but since I rarely get into town I haven't actually seen them, only on TV.

Having played piano in my younger days, one thing I noticed was the few broken keys. Sometimes that can throw a player off because their fingers can't glide on and off them but he didn't even seems to mind one bit.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:57 PM   #6587
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I noticed that he started rather tentatively, as the he was making sure the piano was in tune. At least that was the impression I got.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:54 PM   #6588
Sous Chef

I saw a 16-year-old girl today at work (I know her parents) and she had a t-shirt on that said in fairly large letters,"If you can read this, you're too close!"
Old 07-05-2014, 09:28 PM   #6589
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

LOL!!!
Old 07-12-2014, 12:42 AM   #6590
Sous Chef

I was eating my dinner in my car at work (don't like the breakroom, and I use my laptop and listen to the radio there during meals and breaks) when I saw one of our cart pushers shove his carts to an empty parking place and suddenly take off.

He ran -- I mean, he RAN -- to an elderly lady who was loading her things into her car and she had some heavy stuff; big dog food bag, case of water, big boxes of cat litter, etc. and by the time I put my food down and bolted out of the car to help, he had done all the heavy stuff.

He worked that fast, I am not kidding. I got there in time to help with the bags and I took her cart away. When her car was loaded, she thanked us profusely. I'm always pretty honest, and I said, "I thank YOU for shopping here. If there's anything we can ever do for you, please, let us know."

She looked at him, and he was a little embarrassed. She said, "Can this young man get a raise?"

I said, "I'll certainly try to do something to help him get a raise."

She smiled, thanked us again, and got into her car. I looked at him, wow, he was almost blushing.

Thanks to his quick action, she didn't have to lift all that stuff. I spoke to our store manager, and wrote a letter about what he did and she put my letter into his folder after reading and signing it under my signature. She was very impressed.

Needless to say, so was I. In about 25 years or so, that could be me. He brought a smile to me today! Bless his heart!

« Finally | - »