Last thing that made you smile?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rent-a-daughter is coming over today as I haven't seen her since she came back from the frozen North last week. I am doing her taxes for her. Well she called last night to see if I was still up to the visit, which of course I am and asked if there was anything she could do to help me feel better. I smiled to myself and said "just come and see me". To which she replied "oh, I was thinking of dying your hair pink, painting your cane purple and doing your toenails in all different colours!" I didn't stop laughing for about an hour!

Okay, now it is MY turn to retell a story! In another thread I mentioned about a young lady (now 24) who we met through church. She had a pretty rough upbringing, including the fact that her mother never cooked (there isn't even a stove in the house, just a microwave and a single electric burner). She volunteered at a camp several years back where I was head cook. She had NO experience but lots of will to learn. I taught her to cook and she has lived with us on and off for the past 5 or 6 years. She often calls us Mom and Dad and usually it is I she comes to for advice and/or comfort rather than her own mother. One day I said to her I love you calling me Mom, but you have a real one. And she said that she was too old for us to "adopt" her and when she is here she helps with my catering so she said I am kind of like a rent-a-mom. So that is why she is my rent-a-daughter. We have no kids of our own, just about 100 or so who come to us for advice, comfort, just cause, and now for catering or wedding cakes! But this one is extra special to us.

It takes a very big heart to let in "strangers" into your heart like that. In case no-one has ever told you, you are a very special lady!!
Now, would you like to rent another daughter I could consider leasing a 2 year old.................
:)

Okay, now it is MY turn to retell a story! In another thread I mentioned about a young lady (now 24) who we met through church. She had a pretty rough upbringing, including the fact that her mother never cooked (there isn't even a stove in the house, just a microwave and a single electric burner). She volunteered at a camp several years back where I was head cook. She had NO experience but lots of will to learn. I taught her to cook and she has lived with us on and off for the past 5 or 6 years. She often calls us Mom and Dad and usually it is I she comes to for advice and/or comfort rather than her own mother. One day I said to her I love you calling me Mom, but you have a real one. And she said that she was too old for us to "adopt" her and when she is here she helps with my catering so she said I am kind of like a rent-a-mom. So that is why she is my rent-a-daughter. We have no kids of our own, just about 100 or so who come to us for advice, comfort, just cause, and now for catering or wedding cakes! But this one is extra special to us.

This story. Well done on having a great big heart.

LP, I am touched by your story and especially the modesty with which you present it. The part you are leaving out is your very generous and kind spirit. Certainly made me smile, too. Thanks.

Thanks Suzie, MM and Karen. You have me blushing. I don't feel that I do anything special, I just love kids of all ages and since I was never blessed with my own, I take in others' kids when they need me.

Oh, and Suzie, if the distance between us weren't so big I would definitely take on Lego girl, I love kids with spirit! Oh, and just one tip, wait a few years before introducing her to jigsaw puzzles! :LOL:

it's so important for young people to have positive role models and know that someone cares about them.......you obviously are one of those special people, LP! I was "adopted" by my best friend's parents, too, and was always invited to stay over and we would sit up and talk to her mom for hours about anything---she also gave me great advice.......no way could I relate to my stepmother who I had major issues with until I was grown up with children of my own and had forgiven her

I smile and am thankful for all you wonderful loving people on DC. Everyday someone says or does something nice.

That was a lovely story LP!

I just had a 50 minute phone call with my dad, I miss him so much. I've been really down lately and he always makes me smile...especially when he says "don't worry my darling daughter....things are lookin up!"

That was a lovely story LP!

I just had a 50 minute phone call with my dad, I miss him so much. I've been really down lately and he always makes me smile...especially when he says "don't worry my darling daughter....things are lookin up!"

How wonderful for you to have your dear dad with you yet. I miss my dad's phone call's very much. He always "really listened".

Smiles, yes, everyday that I visit here and read everyones adventures..You all make me smile and feel glad over again that I found this site and stayed with it.

kadesma:)

DH making me breakfast this morning. Oh he tried, the eggs turned out rubbery and the fruit smoothie was too thick to suck through a straw.

He made me smile because it was so cute that he put in the effort. He put me in the right mind for my job interview today! Love him!

waking up to the sounds of the waves crashing, seeing a blue sky and knowing that I have all day to enjoy it.

DH making me breakfast this morning. Oh he tried, the eggs turned out rubbery and the fruit smoothie was too thick to suck through a straw.

He made me smile because it was so cute that he put in the effort. He put me in the right mind for my job interview today! Love him!

Aww, it is always the thought and effort that counts! Good luck on your job interview!

I went to get my driver's license renewed this morning...
I love living in a small town! Office opened at 8, I was there at 8:15, the first, and ONLY person there!
I'd have been there half the day down in Minneapolis. With smelly people.

Our "daughter" (aka Rent-a-daughter) didn't make it over yesterday and said she really wanted to see me but had to work today at noon (her first day on the job at McDonalds) and so would be here at 10 am sharp. Well, she has lived with us enough for me to know that this would not happen! I don't think she knows what 10 am looks like :ROFLMAO:.

Sure enough, at 10:45 she shows up in a taxi. We hug and cry and tell each other how much we have missed the other one (she moved to Inuvik in September because she wanted to check out the Great White North!). Then she hands me a bag. For those who read my earlier post, the bag contained....a pink hair streaking kit, a can of metalic purple spray paint and 10 different colours of nail polish (not SHADES, but COLOURS!). Thankfully she didn't have enough time to use any of them on me......yet!

Then she says to DH "'Dad', if you drive me to work I will treat you both to lunch (at McDonald's) 'cause I am really really late". He says "gee, it is nice to know you haven't changed". And she giggled and blushed.

I may not be her real Mom, but I think I have all the feelings that go with being one - I want to strangle her and hug her all at the same time!

Now to hide the goody bag before she comes back :LOL:.

Back
Top Bottom