"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Birthdays, Good Thoughts and DC Hugs

Old 09-21-2014, 08:09 AM   #6771
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I love farm kids. They are really very responsible. Did she raise an animal as a project?
No animals. She lives in town with her mom and works at the nursing home. She comes out to the farm as much as she can.

Old 09-21-2014, 10:22 AM   #6772
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
The last thing that made me smile was seeing a post by Claire. I forgot that Claire is back.

Old 09-21-2014, 01:49 PM   #6773
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Yesterday I worked our library's annual book sale. It is a (real book) reader's delight. During the last few hours of the sale we sell any bag of books for $5, any box $10. What makes me smile is grandparents scarfing up kiddie books to read to their brood. But more than that, the kids, I think 8-16 year old in the hours I worked, who really, really got into it. One young man (I'd say around 9 or so) seemed nonchalant when he walked in with grandpa, but with a huge grin when he walked out with a grocery bag full of books. There was the gal I'd take for 16 or so who collected jigsaw puzzles, the 11 year old who told someone, "Oh, I really am not fond of that author," in such a manner I cracked up. I worked the last shift of the sale and there were some old-fashioned games left that I thought were doomed for the garbage heap, but they were both swooped up by young people who were into non-computer-games. Maybe it's a retro-fad, old games and puzzles? Anyway, great fun.
Sounds like a good time!
Old 09-22-2014, 04:09 AM   #6774
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnn L. View Post
I finally saw a Monarch butterfly today. It has been years since I've seen one. It sure made me smile.

there are some hopeful signs for the monarchs:

Wild in the City: Monarch butterflies on the move across Toronto waterfront | Toronto Star
Old 09-22-2014, 08:40 AM   #6775
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
Just imagine seeing that many Monarch's at one time. What a thrill.
Old 09-24-2014, 04:54 PM   #6776
Master Chef

Needed a new lamp shade and it is so hard to find the right size and color. I looked at so many stores and finally found the exact one at Shopko and it was on sale for half price. Yeah!!
Old 09-25-2014, 12:45 AM   #6777
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnn L. View Post
Needed a new lamp shade and it is so hard to find the right size and color. I looked at so many stores and finally found the exact one at Shopko and it was on sale for half price. Yeah!!
I can never remember if a 9" lampshade is nine inches across the bottom or the top.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:46 AM   #6778
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Old 09-25-2014, 01:00 AM   #6779
Chef Extraordinaire

ROFL!!!!

thanks pf.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 05:21 AM   #6780
Certified Cake Maniac

I was with the kids and their Mom today. I am getting used to people calling me "Grandma". I am going to refer to the kids as "The Princess" and Spideyman" (how he, the 3 year old pronounces it, so cute!). Anyway, the Princess (and she is one) came to our house because she got sick in the night and couldn't go to daycare while Mom was in a course and Spideyman was at his play group. She was so good, playing quietly with Violet and by herself, drawing some pictures. She also cuddled up with TB before he went to work.

There were some dramatics at Costco after we picked up Mom and Spidey, including me getting a bruised and possibly dislocated thumb. But something melted all of that away and put a smile on my face for hours. Spidey apologized for hitting me (without being prompted) and reached over and kissed my thumb better. He told me that he would put himself in time-out when they got home, and he did....right in a big mud puddle in the back yard! Now this wasn't so great for Mom who had to clean him up, but the fact he figured that should be his punishment was smile material.

They are still acting out from the effects of their Dad and being taken away from their Mom for 3 weeks, but they have really bonded with TB and I and we love them to bits.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote