"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Birthdays, Good Thoughts and DC Hugs

Old 11-22-2014, 05:24 PM   #6901
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Gotta love the Brits and their sense of humor!

Old 11-22-2014, 10:26 PM   #6902
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Last thing that made you smile?

Omg. Tune into the Saturday Night Live redux on NBC. George Harrison and Paul Simon! Sometime around 1974?

Old 11-24-2014, 03:01 AM   #6903
Chef Extraordinaire

My mailbox has been full. Not from DC posts, but from all my friends that I forwarded Creative's post about the senior trying to log on. What a response. Everyone has a similar story to tell. I know every time I think of it, I can't help but start giggling. Having been married to an Englishman, both my son and I can understand the dry humor of the residents of that isle.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:01 AM   #6904
Head Chef

Yes Addie - I posted that senior password to many also! Not so sure it is Brit humour though....it mentions $$$ and "shoved up your ass" is not really a Brit phrase (we tend to say bum or bottom here!)
Old 11-24-2014, 05:10 AM   #6905
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I really don't think you have ti be British or English to get their humour...
Old 11-24-2014, 05:58 AM   #6906
Head Chef

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I really don't think you have ti be British or English to get their humour...
Agree. I was referring to my post on previous page, #6896 and where it came from.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:27 AM   #6907
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Yes Addie - I posted that senior password to many also! Not so sure it is Brit humour though....it mentions $$$ and "shoved up your ass" is not really a Brit phrase (we tend to say bum or bottom here!)
It was the word "bloody" that made it so British for me. I could always tell when my husband was upset because that word would come out. Later he would apologize to me for swearing. I never did understand why he considered that word "bloody" a swear word. Years later I read about the origins of the expression. It comes from "By my Lady". Referring to the Blessed Mother. Said fast, and with just the right accent, it became "bloody". You were taking the Blessed Mother's name in vain.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:47 AM   #6908
Head Chef

Smile

It's interesting where we assign meaning/association where, perhaps, there was none. Today I am on a new health resolve (to eat less, exercise more). I left the crisps and chocs still there in the shops! Then, on my way home, on the pavement was an unopened jumbo pack of funsize choc bars! Divine providence or devilish jeopardy? (Of course I took them) Or merely coincidence!
Old 11-29-2014, 10:51 PM   #6909
Chef Extraordinaire

Addie--I'm glad you're feeling better. You'll get a chuckle out of this:

My friend who comes to man the dish sink when I cook for the food photographer shared this with me the other day. She made a chickpea salad as part of her sons' school lunches. The younger boy is 10 and he doesn't always eat everything she sends in his lunch box. There was no chickpea salad left.

"XXXX, did you like the salad?"
"Yes, did CWS make it?"
"No, I did."
"Really? I didn't know you could make anything that tasted as good as what CWS makes."

I love that boy! He's the one that would run to the door when I delivered eggs yelling:

"Real EGGS!"

He still gets Real EGGS, but now he insists his mom/dad drive out so he can collect them fresh from the "hen's butt." We all shake our heads and roll our eyes. Hopefully he'll stop referring to collecting eggs that way.
Old 11-30-2014, 12:31 AM   #6910
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
It's interesting where we assign meaning/association where, perhaps, there was none. Today I am on a new health resolve (to eat less, exercise more). I left the crisps and chocs still there in the shops! Then, on my way home, on the pavement was an unopened jumbo pack of funsize choc bars! Divine providence or devilish jeopardy? (Of course I took them) Or merely coincidence!
You new resolve was not meant to be started on that particular day. You still have plenty of days to start it. After you fun size chocolate bars are gone and out of sight. The intention is more important than the act.