"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Birthdays, Good Thoughts and DC Hugs

Old 12-17-2015, 04:04 PM   #7221
Head Chef

https://youtu.be/RP4abiHdQpc

Old 12-17-2015, 09:45 PM   #7222
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I want my old down pillows fluffy again too CG!! I didn't know a product existed for this. Pleeeeeeeeze tell me what it's called and where you got it? I have some old ones in the closet I'd love to be able to use again.
There's no way I could ever sleep without a down pillow. I even take one packed in my suitcase when we travel.
I haven't seen down-specific soap for ages. I'm guessing it's no longer marketed with the proliferation of HE detergents and washing machines. I use about half the amount of HE liquid detergent I normally would use for a small load, toss two pillows into the washer, and let her go. You could use Woolite or Delicare if you have those on hand, too. ~ I do a second rinse on jackets and comforters, but the pillows seem to rinse well with just the normal single rinse. Check for moisture - you may need to do another one or two spin cycles. Again, I don't need to do that for pillows, but always need to spin dry several times for jackets and comforters.

BTW, I've been known to pack all three of my downs pillows the few times we've flown. It's amazing how tiny those things get when you put them into space bags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
CG, my exDH used to put a tennis shoe in the drier with down.
I've also know people who use clean tennis balls in the dryer. The only tennis shoes in this house are not clean, so I just use these nifty fluffing snowflakes that came with my down care kit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-12-17 21.29.41.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	23995  

Old 12-17-2015, 10:28 PM   #7223
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I have a can of white tennis balls that DH would never use for his tennising as he's a yellow balls kind of guy. They do a good job of fluffing stuff up. I just pop the lid back on the can when things are dry.
Old 12-17-2015, 11:19 PM   #7224
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I haven't seen down-specific soap for ages. I'm guessing it's no longer marketed with the proliferation of HE detergents and washing machines. I use about half the amount of HE liquid detergent I normally would use for a small load, toss two pillows into the washer, and let her go. You could use Woolite or Delicare if you have those on hand, too. ~ I do a second rinse on jackets and comforters, but the pillows seem to rinse well with just the normal single rinse. Check for moisture - you may need to do another one or two spin cycles. Again, I don't need to do that for pillows, but always need to spin dry several times for jackets and comforters.

BTW, I've been known to pack all three of my downs pillows the few times we've flown. It's amazing how tiny those things get when you put them into space bags.
I've also know people who use clean tennis balls in the dryer. The only tennis shoes in this house are not clean, so I just use these nifty fluffing snowflakes that came with my down care kit.
LOL I'm an old fashioned kinda gal, and I had to look up what HE detergents and machines means. My washing machine and dryer are low tech, and for just us work fine, top load for the washer, and side load for the dryer. My best bet would be to go to the laundromat where I haven't been in forty years? I can do that to get fluffy pillows again. I could buy some tennis balls, and give them to the neighbor dogs.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 12:00 AM   #7225
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
LOL I'm an old fashioned kinda gal, and I had to look up what HE detergents and machines means. My washing machine and dryer are low tech, and for just us work fine, top load for the washer, and side load for the dryer. My best bet would be to go to the laundromat where I haven't been in forty years? I can do that to get fluffy pillows again. I could buy some tennis balls, and give them to the neighbor dogs.
I think you can wash down in a top loading washer. My exDH did. We didn't have the front loaders here yet.
Old 12-18-2015, 02:54 AM   #7226
Master Chef

Taxy's right, Kayelle, you can wash down in a top-load washer. I've done it in the past. Same rules apply: use half the detergent, make sure it rinses clean, spin-spin-spin. Save yourself the trip to the laundromat for the drying part if you're doing something really big.

I haven't had to wash our down comforters since I use duvet cover on them and they are on top of all the other bedclothes (sheet, blanket). The kids used to use their down comforters more like sleeping bags. I had to wash each of theirs every year when the warm weather came around.
Old 12-18-2015, 10:36 AM   #7227
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Watching the day shift trundle into work this morning...
Old 12-22-2015, 07:19 PM   #7228
Head Chef

London Underground threatens fare dodgers with Star Wars spoilers
Old 12-22-2015, 07:39 PM   #7229
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady

Is an Oyster a monthly or weekly pass?
Old 12-23-2015, 04:21 AM   #7230
Certified Cake Maniac

I'm making pillows out of shirts and a t-shirt for a friend. Her father is dying and she just had a baby so she wants to give each of her two sons one of their Grandad's shirts and her Dad gets the older son's t-shirt with the little one's first sleeper for in the hospital. It is a super idea.

I am using a flattened box to cut the size I need out of each shirt. However, it is hard to hold the shirt and the board while cutting. So, who should come to my rescue but our little curious cat, Monkey. Each time I have done it she has jumped up onto the table, onto the board and watched intently as I cut. I just wish Violet (dog) could work a camera so I could record it!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote

« Finally | - »