"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Birthdays, Good Thoughts and DC Hugs

Old 04-14-2016, 07:17 PM   #7331
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
My 8yo niece is saving up money to buy a sugar glider (a little high-maintenance type of flying squirrel.). I suggested to my SIL that a bat or snake would be easier to care for. Nope, niece wants a sugar glider. SIL needs to cut back on her daughter's allowance, she's getting close to affording one. Cracked me up!
Before she spends her money I would encourage her to check with local animal shelters and rescue groups to see if they have any that need a good home.

It might save her some bucks and help her to learn about how serious a decision it is to take on one of these critters.

Good luck!

Old 04-14-2016, 07:23 PM   #7332
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Before she spends her money I would encourage her to check with local animal shelters and rescue groups to see if they have any that need a good home.

It might save her some bucks and help her to learn about how serious a decision it is to take on one of these critters.

Good luck!

That is a great idea, AB! Thanks!

Old 04-14-2016, 10:35 PM   #7333
Chef Extraordinaire

Or you might inform her that squirrels are in the family of rats and other vermin. On second thought, she might want a rat then.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:46 PM   #7334
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Last thing that made you smile?

Upon further inspection, niece has $15. Nowhere near the $250+ she'd need for a sugar glider, not including the cage, wheel, food, etc. SIL figures it will take a couple more years for niece to raise the required funds. By that time, SIL figures niece will hopefully have moved onto other interests.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:49 PM   #7335
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Thank you, Cheryl and CG, for your kind words. They are great boys and I hate to see them caught in the middle as they are.
LB, you might suggest that he also write that second poem. Even if it is just a real short one. I have heard of many kids given a failing mark because they did not fulfill the requirements of the assignment even though what they did turn in was above and beyond what was required. It seems that the teacher had fecal myopic vision. My way or fail!

My oldest daughter had a teacher like that in high school. One year that teacher was voted the "most hated teacher" in the school. If you read past the pages of the assignment, she would go spastic. My daughter and all her friends learned to not let her know if they did read past the assignment.

You can be real proud of that boy. He will always think outside the bounds that society sets for him. And he will excel way past them. Congratulations to your nephew. He is going places.
Old 04-15-2016, 03:19 PM   #7336
Chef Extraordinaire

This cat is chill.

https://www.facebook.com/LADbible/vi...1283729918800/
Old 04-15-2016, 04:58 PM   #7337
Master Chef

Dang, why wasn't Midnight that relaxed when we drove from OH to MA? Even on a tranquilizer, she howled for the first hour and whimpered most of the rest of the way.
Old 04-15-2016, 05:38 PM   #7338
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Dang, why wasn't Midnight that relaxed when we drove from OH to MA? Even on a tranquilizer, she howled for the first hour and whimpered most of the rest of the way.
Our Bilbo Baggins slept in the laundry basket in the back seat when we drove from MI to VA. She was pretty chill
Old 04-16-2016, 04:41 AM   #7339
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
That is one relaxed kitty.
Old 04-18-2016, 01:59 PM   #7340
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Oh good grief! I was a little distracted when I first looked at it and thought the cat was lying across the back of the car, not the dashboard!! LOL!!

I thought, "Oh my God, they're going backwards!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
We moved five of ours just across the county and couldn't hear for three days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Our Bilbo Baggins slept in the laundry basket in the back seat when we drove from MI to VA. She was pretty chill
One of our neighbors is a truck driver and he has the biggest, hairiest Maine Coon you ever saw, and his name is Max. He rides in the passenger seat in a dog bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
That is one relaxed kitty.
Look at the size of those ears! That's not a cat, that's a radar detector/GPS in disguise. LOL!

Well, now I've forgotten what I was going to post about here.

« Finally | - »