Last thing that made you smile?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, you probably don't want to know this, but I was fascinated by my mother's treadle sewing machine...she went upstairs to answer the phone, came back, and found me with my index finger pierced by the needle. I was sewing my apron...of course, she made a mistake, she told me not to touch the sewing machine while she was gone. I was about 4 or 5...funny thing, it didn't hurt until I saw my mom's legs coming back down the stairs...

Well, you probably don't want to know this, but I was fascinated by my mother's treadle sewing machine...she went upstairs to answer the phone, came back, and found me with my index finger pierced by the needle. I was sewing my apron...of course, she made a mistake, she told me not to touch the sewing machine while she was gone. I was about 4 or 5...funny thing, it didn't hurt until I saw my mom's legs coming back down the stairs...

Ouch! I can definitely see my daughter doing that becuase she loves to touch things. Luckily, I don't sew and the machine is in a separate box from the stand. I don't think I've ever used it since she's been born. I'm surprised she even knew what it was. :LOL:

Big Smile

This will be a long story. We bought a house but before we can move in there are weeks of work to do and I am old and tired. We met our neighbors a while back and they let us know that they were going on vacation and asked us to keep a spare eye on their house. Well yesterday a young boy was mowing their lawn and since this is going to be a very hot weekend here in Michigan I went out to talk to him to see if I could hire him to do our lawn to save dh the work. I asked the young man how much he charged to mow the lawn and he said "nothing". Taken a little aback (but suspecting all along) I asked him why he was doing that and he said "to be helpful." I cannot tell you how impressed I was with him. (He's 13 years old.) Well, in two shakes of a lamb's tail I hired him to do our lawn (he didn't want to charge me to do it.) He was done in what seemed minutes and did an excellent job. Since we didn't discuss a price and still he did an excellent job I paid him more than I thought the job was worth.
When he was done we talked for a while and I told him that I had a lot more work he could do . He mentioned that he had a brother and I told him if they wanted to earn a few bucks they could show up today and I would put them to work. Well he showed up all right, with his whole family. I met them all. An altogether lovely group.
I put the boys to work, six hours of hard and sometimes disgusting work. These two kids aged 13 and 16 worked like Trojans. I did get them to take a break at lunch but everytime I told them to take a little break they said okay and just kept on working.
I thought I was going to need them to work for days to get to all of the stuff that was really bothering me. But in six hours they took care of the very worst of the work and all that is left is stuff that really needs to be done by mature adults who know how to handle machinery or who have real experience with a paint brush.
Because I promised them more work when we first started I feel I have to have them come over again so now I am scrambling to think of stuff to keep them busy for 1/2 a day. And at the rate these kids work that will be a tough task. For sure when we actually are ready to move I am hiring these kids to help.
It is so very refreshing to find two kids with such a great work ethic and I made sure to tell their parents too. I am going to write them each a letter of reference so that if they need it they can let other folks know that they are very responsible workers. Gosh, it's good to see some good in human beings. Oh, and did I mention that when I told these boys that I would pay them for their work they said "That's not necessary, we just want to help?" I may have to adopt them or at the very least kidnap them. :)

That's a lovely story! What great kids (and parents who raised them). Made me smile!

Last edited:
The doorbell rang and when I opened the door there was no one there - but there was a box addressed to ME from Japan. I immediately knew what was in it and where it came from, but what I didn't know was how beautiful it was and how loved it made me feel. I am the delighted owner of a flower covered bento box! I am not going to ruin it by mentioning the name, but you know who you are and I love you for my wonderful gift. It couldn't have come at a better time!

Last edited:
Many things make me smile. I spend most of my time with a smile on my face. I try to look at everything in a way where I see the good more than the bad. Since the loss of my mother in December of last year, I have cried more than any other time in my life, and my smile is not around as much as I would like it to be. I know it will get better at some point, but sometimes I beat my self over the fact that I am still crying so much. Reading the things that make everyone smile is fun for me and I smile while reading your stories. Thank you all for that! This weekend I smiled because my adult son told a story about his childhood illness to friends (where I was also present). In his story he said wonderful things about me with an understanding I was not aware that he had. He talked about how it was because of his mom that he knew that he would live and would be ok. God bless my "boy" and his life! He sure did make me proud, and yes he made me smile.

the guy from the electric and gas company was here. he put new faucets thingesy on all my sinks. insulation on front and back doors. taped up the heater and a.c. housing. while he was at it, he fixed lock on my front door and my c.d. player, certainly not his thing, but he was just a nice guy. i got a new fancy handheld shower head for the main bathroom and new shower head in the other.

he said he was putting in for me a new hot water heater (mine leaks) a new a.c. the new fridge is still in the works. all of it was free. big smile

babetoo said:
the guy from the electric and gas company was here. he put new faucets thingesy on all my sinks. insulation on front and back doors. taped up the heater and a.c. housing. while he was at it, he fixed lock on my front door and my c.d. player, certainly not his thing, but he was just a nice guy. i got a new fancy handheld shower head for the main bathroom and new shower head in the other.

he said he was putting in for me a new hot water heater (mine leaks) a new a.c. the new fridge is still in the works. all of it was free. big smile

I would smile too!

Many things make me smile. I spend most of my time with a smile on my face. I try to look at everything in a way where I see the good more than the bad. Since the loss of my mother in December of last year, I have cried more than any other time in my life, and my smile is not around as much as I would like it to be. I know it will get better at some point, but sometimes I beat my self over the fact that I am still crying so much. Reading the things that make everyone smile is fun for me and I smile while reading your stories. Thank you all for that! This weekend I smiled because my adult son told a story about his childhood illness to friends (where I was also present). In his story he said wonderful things about me with an understanding I was not aware that he had. He talked about how it was because of his mom that he knew that he would live and would be ok. God bless my "boy" and his life! He sure did make me proud, and yes he made me smile.

Chopper, that made me smile too! Thanks for sharing.

sounds like a super nice guy, babe.

and one more smile here from chopper!

i know a few of us continuously post things about our kids in this thread, but there is no deeper love than for that of your children, and the smiles just flow from it.

Got a call from our grandson this afternoon from Paris France. So glad to hear that his new job is going well. He said that a lot of shops close down this month because of vacations but theirs is staying open so they are getting a lot of business. Nice to get some good news for a change.

Had Olivia here yesterday after her first day of kindergarten. boy did she look cute and was she full of how school was. She had a wonderful time with the kids, loves her teacher and the teachers mom who helps out. I thnk we have another one who loves school. She dove into her lunch a bologna and cheese sammie with what she calls salad (a lettuce leaf) :LOL: chocolate chip cookies and potatoe chips plus carrots. Boy can that kid put it away
kades:)

Sounds wonderful kades! Your babies are sure growing up.

Speaking of babies growing up, last night I taught some basic cake decorating techniques to a group of four 11 year olds who were having a sleep over at our church. Three of them I knew as literal babies and their two leaders, in their late teens, were in my Sunday school classes.

I decided instead of writing a lesson plan as I do with my one on one lessons, I would just show some basics and then let them at the pile of 5 dozen cupcakes. I left my tool kit and supplies (frosting, fondant, sprinkles, etc.) and went back this morning to see the "damage" and collect my stuff. They cleaned everything up, put it back best they could and had a pile of gorgeous cupcakes to show for it.

I had an excellent time helping and just watching them work. With all the stuff going on at home, it was nice to know that DH was helping Dad and I could just relax and enjoy. The memories of this will be able to bring a smile on my face when needed for a long time.

Last edited:
Sounds wonderful kades! Your babies are sure growing up.

Speaking of babies growing up, last night I taught some basic cake decorating techniques to a group of four 11 year olds who were having a sleep over at our church. Three of them I knew as literal babies and their two leaders, in their late teens, were in my Sunday school classes.

I decided instead of writing a lesson plan as I do with my one on one lessons, I would just show some basics and then let them at the pile of 5 dozen cupcakes. I left my tool kit and supplies (frosting, fondant, sprinkles, etc.) and went back this morning to see the "damage" and collect my stuff. They cleaned everything up, put it back best they could and had a pile of gorgeous cupcakes to show for it.

I had an excellent time helping and just watching them work. With all the stuff going on at home, it was nice to know that DH was helping Dad and I could just relax and enjoy. The memories of this will be able to bring a smile on my face when needed for a long time.
What I'd give to have your talent LP it must give you such pleasure to give these kids the chance to bake and be inovative. Just think what the future holds for them. Yes my babies are growing so fast I hate to blink for fear they will be taller than I am:LOL:
ma

Back
Top Bottom