Last thing that made you smile?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Katie, that is so pretty! Never thought that I could put them outside though. Hm, learn sumthin' new every day!

If you break the person's rib you did it right? :ohmy: Considering the alternative, though, it's a small pain to put up with. That's really neat that your sis reacted so quickly. Guess helping people runs in the family. ;)

If you think about it, the heart is located behind the ribs. One of the jobs of the ribs is to protect your major organs like the lungs and heart. You HAVE to apply strong pressure through the ribs in order to put pressure on the heart. My youngest during his paramedic days has broken a lot of ribs. He told me that more than often he has had to give that intial punch to the chest more than once until he heard that crack of the ribs. When a family member is standing near, they are often horrified.

BTW do any of you know how to do CPR properly? In Seattle, they hold regular CPR classes in the firehouses. It is a walk-in program. Seattle has been voted the best place to have a heart attack. More than half of the population have taken the classes and are certified to apply CPR. :angel:

This explains why my ribs hurt so much when I woke up from my HA. I was alternatively told it was the CPR or the AED that caused it.

Andy, when I see CPR given on TV shows, I have to laugh. You need to be doing it a heck of a lot faster. Fast enough that you can get out of breath while doing the pushes. You have to do them hard and fast enough to reach the heart. :angel:

i've performed cpr twice as a lifeguard (both successfull) and once after a lady went into arrest after leaving church (although an equal danger was that she face planted on the steps while cutting out early and tore her nose from her face and was bleeding profusely. thankfully, emt's showed up in just minutes), i never broke a rib.

ok, so every case is different, and some are worse than others, but everything i've been taught is broken ribs are fairly normal because of how aggressive (adrenaline) the rescuer feels while trying to save a life, and while it's fairly common, it's not the correct or expected thing to do.
pf, you may have incorrectly stated the case.

Last edited:
Also depends on the age of the person, you can't expect ribs to stay intact in little old folks whose bones are brittle.

And I would never tell my sister that she should not have broken ribs...30% of people who receive CPR end up with broken ribs from professionals who have been trained and do CPR at least weekly.

CPR is not done on someone who is alive...that person is dead...what you are doing, even if there is hand misplacement, is better than DEAD. Anything you can do is better than doing nothing.

....she face planted on the steps while cutting out early and tore her nose from her face and was bleeding profusely. thankfully, emt's showed up in just minutes)...

Hmm, cut out early? Guardian angel must have tripped her.

PF, makes perfect sense that a rib might crack but because I've never given/gotten CPR it never occurred to me. Oh, and thanks for posting the video. Didn't even have to watch it and I've got the song firmly planted as an earworm. :LOL: Uh-oh, hope it doesn't keep me awake tonight. :glare:

I smile every time my cell phone rings :) My new default ringtone is "Hey Soul Sista" by Train. So when someone calls, it goes "Hey-ay! Hey-ay-ay-ay-ay! Hey-ay-ay-ay-ay!" hee hee!
YouTube

LOL!!!

One of the nurses had her ringtone Queens, "Another One Bites The Dust" I was with her the night her Mother died (battling pervasive spinal cancer). While we were talking about particulars, her phone rang...she looked at it and said, "I guess I should change that..."

LOL!!!

One of the nurses had her ringtone Queens, "Another One Bites The Dust" I was with her the night her Mother died (battling pervasive spinal cancer). While we were talking about particulars, her phone rang...she looked at it and said, "I guess I should change that..."

:LOL: Morbidly funny, only a geriatric nurse could get away with that! Sad about her mother.

Hmm, cut out early? Guardian angel must have tripped her.

PF, makes perfect sense that a rib might crack but because I've never given/gotten CPR it never occurred to me. Oh, and thanks for posting the video. Didn't even have to watch it and I've got the song firmly planted as an earworm. :LOL: Uh-oh, hope it doesn't keep me awake tonight. :glare:

That's why the AHA suggests that song, most people who are likely to do Hands Only CPR are of an age to remember it.:LOL:

Now we need to find a song the next generation will remember...

That's why the AHA suggests that song, most people who are likely to do Hands Only CPR are of an age to remember it.:LOL:

Now we need to find a song the next generation will remember...

"Another One Bites the Dust"?

Last edited:
:LOL: Morbidly funny, only a geriatric nurse could get away with that! Sad about her mother.

Nurses, especially night shift nurses are horribly morbid. It's that old you have to laugh or cry. My co-worker made sure her Mother was on my unit so I could direct her end-of-life care.

It's not the first time I have been requested as the primary for someone's parent at end-of-life, some doctors have even asked that I care for their patients. Even though I no longer work the floor, I am still the Lead Nurse in charge of our "Hospice" program.

Nurses, especially night shift nurses are horribly morbid. It's that old you have to laugh or cry. My co-worker made sure her Mother was on my unit so I could direct her end-of-life care.

It's not the first time I have been requested as the primary for someone's parent at end-of-life, some doctors have even asked that I care for their patients. Even though I no longer work the floor, I am still the Lead Nurse in charge of our "Hospice" program.

Thankfully, we have nurses like you around, PF. I couldn't do what you do.

The look on my ex-cleaning lady's face when she saw her volcano birthday cake. She was so surprised because she left the design totally to me for a luau party. She told me I am making her cakes for as long as she has birthdays!

Even though it hurts to smile, that is going to be a big one that will stay on my face for hours or even days. I will be posting pictures soon.

Well done LB!
yelclap.gif

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom