Last thing that made you smile?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Glad you found your piece of good flatware taxy. I have basic stainless steel for every day use and wonder where some of the pieces have gone. I'm careful to the point of being paranoid when I use my Mom's good old silver - it's about 60 years old and was an award given to my Dad as Safe Driver Awards (he delivered bread).

Oh, and I didn't watch the video, curious as I was. SciFi completely freaks me out. Years ago a coworker passed me her college textbook of short stories and suggested I read one particular story by Ray Bradbury (There Will Come Soft Rains). :ohmy: I haven't been the same since...and I have a terrible wariness of technology.

Over the years, family pieces have come my way. I kept them under wraps. Tried to give them to my sister. Smart girl, she didn't want to be forever polishing them either. So finally when The Pirate got married, I gave them to his wife. They got divorced. Told her she could keep them and pass them on to her kids. After all they were my grandchildren and they would still be in the family. I have no idea where they are today and don't want to know. There is a reason the "family silver" has grown out of favor. Spike has taken all my silver jewelry and rhodium plated it for me. Never have to polish any ever again.

Can't tell you how many yard sales I have gone to and see the "family silver" at a ridiculous low price. The sellers are sick of cleaning it. Spike works for a jewelry store. He is the one who prices your gold and silver when you bring it in to sell. Unfortunately most folks place a higher emotional value on it than it is worth financially. Most of the stuff that comes in is 'plated.' Not worth even pricing. He tells them to take it home and put it in the attic for someone else to find it and think they hit a treasure. Unless it has that hallmark on it, then it is plated. :angel:

Addie, some silver plated stuff has a hallmark. When I was trying to figure out what various pieces were, that I got from my mum, I found this site and saw that there were hallmarks for silver plate, as well as for sterling silver. Silverplate Marks Menu - Online Encyclopedia of Silver Marks, Hallmarks & Makers' Marks

I don't want to spend a lot of time polishing, so I use the silver every day. But, when the mood strikes me, I can really enjoy polishing silver.

:angel:

Last edited:
Addie, some silver plated stuff has a hallmark. When I was trying to figure out what various pieces were, that I got from my mum, I found this site and saw that there were hallmarks for silver plate, as well as for sterling silver. Silverplate Marks Menu - Online Encyclopedia of Silver Marks, Hallmarks & Makers' Marks

I don't want to spend a lot of time polishing, so I use the silver every day. But, when the mood strikes me, I can really enjoy polishing silver.

:angel:

That I didn't know. I do know that dealers are just not interested in buying plated silver. They have a silver polishing school for butlers in London. Care to attend? I still have the six round soup spoons that were my mothers. I refuse to give them up. I have them wrapped and so far they have not tarnished since the last time I polished them. They were originally my grandmothers. :angel:

...Later, they both were able to walk in and swim, turn in the water and go back to the shore. They did swim a lot after that. They even used their tails as rudders! Too cute!

We had a golden that loved to jump into our pool. He had no trouble swimming round. As he swam, his fur would get heavier and heavier pulling him down. We'd guide him to the steps so he could walk out.

I had to go downstairs to check my mail. The manager was there and I mentioned the barking dog last night. There was another tenant there and she backed me up. My neighbor is always complaining about Teddy barking when she goes into her apartment. It is that territorial thing. We are trying to break him of it, but he is one little stubborn critter. But he is getting better.

The manager was so happy that it was her this time and not me. And so was I! At least Teddy only barks for a few short barks. Last night was 35 minutes of continuous barking. It ain't easy living with a bunch of old cranky folks. :angel:

Every moment I am here in this beautiful country makes me smile very much. Everything here makes me smile and my DA brings me the largest smiles.
I thank God for this all every day.
~Cat

Last night we were having much fun listening to the pronunciation of street names coming from Google Maps on Stirling's tablet. We celebrated my friend's birthday. I can easily find my way to and from her house, but from and to her house and downtown Montreal can be an adventure. Last night it turned into a mini-adventure while taking my friend home. As I was driving on the highway, we found that a portion had been closed for construction and we were diverted towards the bridge that goes across the Saint Lawrence River to the South Shore. :ermm::ohmy: Google Maps directed us to an alternative route, one I would never have figured out by myself.

Most of the streets on the Island of Montreal have French names. OMG, some of the pronunciations were hilarious. Some were unintelligible. We left the map directions on all the way home, just to hear the funny pronunciations. There were also the surprise getting-it-right. It said boulevard Saint John. The street is spelled Saint-Jean. We would have expected it say Saint Jeeen. Saint John is the correct English version of that street name and used by many Anglos.

I was talking with my daughter and she told me my grandson asked, "why can't we live with Grampy?!". Needless to say I was very happy to hear that.

That's for sure, Katie. I'm not sure why this is but I'm going to keep doing what I've been doing and hope it lasts.

Last night we were having much fun listening to the pronunciation of street names coming from Google Maps on Stirling's tablet. We celebrated my friend's birthday. I can easily find my way to and from her house, but from and to her house and downtown Montreal can be an adventure. Last night it turned into a mini-adventure while taking my friend home. As I was driving on the highway, we found that a portion had been closed for construction and we were diverted towards the bridge that goes across the Saint Lawrence River to the South Shore. :ermm::ohmy: Google Maps directed us to an alternative route, one I would never have figured out by myself.

Most of the streets on the Island of Montreal have French names. OMG, some of the pronunciations were hilarious. Some were unintelligible. We left the map directions on all the way home, just to hear the funny pronunciations. There were also the surprise getting-it-right. It said boulevard Saint John. The street is spelled Saint-Jean. We would have expected it say Saint Jeeen. Saint John is the correct English version of that street name and used by many Anglos.

Aside from the Big Book put out by the phone company, each section of the city gets it own little book. My girlfriend got hold of a book from Chinatown. Out of boredom, we started to read off the names. Needless to say, we were on the floor with laughter. I think it was the way were reading them. In sing song fashion. It wasn't until later that she turned to the part written in Chinese that really did us in. I walked around giggling for days. :angel:

The last thing that made me smile...going on a "date" with my sweetheart last night. It was an unexpected treat and a wonderful evening. I'm still smiling.

Sounds wonderful Katie! Glad you had a good time with the man you love.

Back
Top Bottom