Last thing that made you smile?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay, we've had some really pukey winter weather here the last couple of weeks. For the last 4 days everything, and I do mean everything, has been covered in a very, very thick coat of ice. We can't even walk across your yard. Solid ice. Last night we had a bit of snowfall, perhaps 1 inch. Now the ice and all the limbs and parts of the environment that didn't have ice on it now has a pile of fluffy snow.

The part that made me smile?

Amid all this white and crystalline world, I spied a male cardinal sitting on one of the tree branches out front. He was such a vivid red that he'd make a firetruck seem pink. What a beautiful sight and it made me smile, smile, smile.

Okay, we've had some really pukey winter weather here the last couple of weeks. For the last 4 days everything, and I do mean everything, has been covered in a very, very thick coat of ice. We can't even walk across your yard. Solid ice. Last night we had a bit of snowfall, perhaps 1 inch. Now the ice and all the limbs and parts of the environment that didn't have ice on it now has a pile of fluffy snow.

The part that made me smile?

Amid all this white and crystalline world, I spied a male cardinal sitting on one of the tree branches out front. He was such a vivid red that he'd make a firetruck seem pink. What a beautiful sight and it made me smile, smile, smile.

Glad you saw something in all that icy whiteness to cheer you up about it. I hope he sticks around for a while.

Okay, we've had some really pukey winter weather here the last couple of weeks.....Amid all this white and crystalline world, I spied a male cardinal sitting on one of the tree branches out front.....
That must have been a striking sight Katie! Seeing any cardinal makes me smile - they were my Mom's favorite bird. Love 'em! One year a couple built a next in the clematis vine that was trellised up against our screened-in porch. Mom got to stand in the porch and watch as the babies hatched, were fed, and fledged. It was really special.

I got an Explanation Of Health Care Benefits from BCBS today with the amount I will be billed. I have a humongous grin! It will be less than $600.

I have Mamma's and Papa's voices in my ears still, after talking to them earlier today.

I am smiling very much, but I miss them terribly. I'm so spoiled.

With love,
~Cat

Congrats! An exciting next chapter! I'm pea-green with envy!

Thanks Kathleen! I could do what I did forever too, but sadly, I had a supervisor who made it her life's mission to make my life miserable. Moving on!

And I can sleep in tomorrow! :)

Last edited:
My daughter and grandson came over this morning and we spent the day together. He is 3 years old and so sweet and funny. Lots of smiles today! :) :wub:

Another grandson (my littlest little) had his first birthday yesterday. We'll go down to visit them within the next couple of weeks, they live about 2 hours away. That way, we can also celebrate another grandson's 5th birthday, which is the first week in March. LOVE those babies so much! :LOL:

Thanks Kathleen! I could do what I did forever too, but sadly, I had a supervisor who made it her life's mission to make my life miserable. Moving on!

And I can sleep in tomorrow! :)

It is so bad when others make one's working life so miserable.

Papa found one of the managers in one of his businesses was mean to the employees. He fired the manager, spoke with all the employees, and managed it until he found a manager he and they liked.

It took him three weeks, but it was worth this, for he talked to them and listened to them. He said they were very good people and should not have been treated badly.

I'm sorry this happened to you. This wasn't fair. I do hope you're happier now, yes?

With love,
~Cat

My daughter and grandson came over this morning and we spent the day together. He is 3 years old and so sweet and funny. Lots of smiles today! :) :wub:

Another grandson (my littlest little) had his first birthday yesterday. We'll go down to visit them within the next couple of weeks, they live about 2 hours away. That way, we can also celebrate another grandson's 5th birthday, which is the first week in March. LOVE those babies so much! :LOL:

Now that sounds like the kind of day I need...:)

the russian police choir rocking out to daft punk's 'get lucky' at the sochi olympics ceremony. those uniform-clad russian law enforcement officials, dancin', prancin' and joyful, 'staying up all night to get lucky'. putin must be proud.

Knowing that I am officially retired as of last Friday!

Didn't realize I'd missed this.

Congratulations, Dawg. Retirement is an awesome thing. I thought it was a cliche phrase when retired folks said they never had enough time to get everything done. Nope...not a cliche at all. The hours just fly by.

I was sort of forced into retirement after Buck died. There was no way I could have managed our business all by myself, so I retired in late 2009 about 16 months after he died. I've been on a roll ever since. I can't imagine squeezing the time to have a job.:rolleyes:

I think one of the best parts about being retired is there is NO schedule to follow. I quit wearing a watch and, some days, don't even know what day it is. No reason to, unless there's an appointment of some sort.

Enjoy every minute of it. You earned it.

Last edited:
Thanks Cat and Katie! So far it's been great! And you're right, Katie, the days go fast!

Vit, I got a huge kick out of that too!

Last edited:
A post in my facebook newsfeed this morning. "JUST ONE DAY until pitchers and catchers report...". It's baseball season again! :w00t2: Go Tribe! Love 'em, win or lose. And as a Cleveland sports fan, I'm pretty much used to losing...

Didn't realize I'd missed this.

Congratulations, Dawg. Retirement is an awesome thing. I thought it was a cliche phrase when retired folks said they never had enough time to get everything done. Nope...not a cliche at all. The hours just fly by.

I was sort of forced into retirement after Buck died. There was no way I could have managed our business all by myself, so I retired in late 2009 about 16 months after he died. I've been on a roll ever since. I can't imagine squeezing the time to have a job.:rolleyes:

I think one of the best parts about being retired is there is NO schedule to follow. I quit wearing a watch and, some days, don't even know what day it is. No reason to, unless there's an appointment of some sort.

Enjoy every minute of it. You earned it.

I got Shrek a "Day of the Week" clock. I got tired of telling him what day it was....especially if I didn't remember.:LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom