Last thing that made you smile?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a thing about rainbows. I place crystals near my windows so that, when they catch the sunlight, they throw rainbows across the room. Always makes me smile.
color.gif

I finally saw a Monarch butterfly today. It has been years since I've seen one. It sure made me smile.

I've seen a few this year, after not seeing any for a couple years. They always make me smile too!

I have a thing about rainbows. I place crystals near my windows so that, when they catch the sunlight, they throw rainbows across the room. Always makes me smile.
color.gif

We were in Colorado to see our son and we went to the top of Pikes Pike. We took the train ride up the mountain and on our way back down we had the top of a rainbow right out side of the window. Oh my goodness, the colors were unbelievable. They almost looked liquid. What a gift it was for us to see a rainbow so close up.

We were in Colorado to see our son and we went to the top of Pikes Pike. We took the train ride up the mountain and on our way back down we had the top of a rainbow right out side of the window. Oh my goodness, the colors were unbelievable. They almost looked liquid. What a gift it was for us to see a rainbow so close up.
How lovely!

Last year I saw a rainbow actually form in the sky (from nothing)....for the very first time. I was looking out of my bedroom window to a plain, slightly overcast sky. I looked to my left then, about 1 or 2 seconds later when I looked back to my right ... BAM there it was! A huge rainbow fully formed! It took my breath away. I never knew it could be that quick.

rainbow1.GIF

Last edited:
When I was in grade school, my parents owned a weekly newspaper in a small farming community in Minnesota. Today's post held a pleasant surprise that definitely was much nicer to receive than the hydro and phone bills. My father took all of my mom's weekly columns about life in a small town with a young family, photocopied them, and had them bond in a spiral notebook. I spent the afternoon reading them. That is the mom I knew--the one who said to heck with housework and would go outside, pick chokecherries before the birds got them, and spend the afternoon making chokecherry jelly and homemade "Mamma" bread for us when we came home from school. I am so glad the clippings were not thrown out--my dad gave me a most wonderful gift today, he gave me back part of my mom that dementia has stolen from us. It made me smile, laugh, and even cry.

DH used to umpire Little League baseball. He did T-ball once and it must have been quite entertaining. Kids running to third base instead of first, etc. I bet it's a blast watching your grandson play.

It is. :) Those little guys are so much fun to watch. It's all as new to us as it is for Tyler, although his dad plays baseball with him at home all the time. The kids are learning the order of the bases quickly by running them at the end of practice. I'm going to love this. :LOL:

Bucky, thank for the tips! It's sad to hear that parents just drop their kids off, like baseball is supposed to be a babysitter. :glare: My daughter signed up for team mom when she signed Tyler up, and is hoping this will give her a chance to get to know the coaches, as well as the other moms and kids. Having a great time so far. Tyler hit a ball over the dugout today, over the fence and out into the desert. LOL

When I was in grade school, my parents owned a weekly newspaper in a small farming community in Minnesota. Today's post held a pleasant surprise that definitely was much nicer to receive than the hydro and phone bills. My father took all of my mom's weekly columns about life in a small town with a young family, photocopied them, and had them bond in a spiral notebook. I spent the afternoon reading them. That is the mom I knew--the one who said to heck with housework and would go outside, pick chokecherries before the birds got them, and spend the afternoon making chokecherry jelly and homemade "Mamma" bread for us when we came home from school. I am so glad the clippings were not thrown out--my dad gave me a most wonderful gift today, he gave me back part of my mom that dementia has stolen from us. It made me smile, laugh, and even cry.

I loved this, thank you for sharing it, CWS. Made me tear up, too! What a wonderful gift.

What a nice present, CWS~~~

CWS, I love it. It made me smile and tear up.
Thanks, everyone. I don't know how to do multiple quotes. I called my dad to thank him and had a very long conversation with my mom. She was lucid the whole time!!! I will definitely be re-reading, and re-reading her columns.

One of my favourite columns is about how the postmaster had 300 day-old chicks in the post office and became Momma Postmaster.

We also have my grandma's letters to my grandpa at the front during WWI and my great-grandparents journals. We don't need to participate in a genome project to know we all share the "pack rat" gene. I have all the letters friends and family wrote to me when I was an exchange student in Germany...and my research papers from when I did my M.A. Not sure why I've kept those things...but, am assuming it must be genetic. I've moved this stuff across international borders...

Last edited:
Thanks, everyone. I don't know how to do multiple quotes...
Click the "MULTI +" button. It will change to "MULTI -". Do that with as many posts as you want to include. If you change your mind about including one of them, click "MULTI -" below the post and it will change back. When you get to the last one, click "QUOTE". You will get a page with all the posts with the minus sign and the last one, quoted.

Beagle and I got ambushed on our walk by a big black and white cat, who merely waltzed out of a shrub and allowed Beagle to get right up in his face. She kept jumping back. Nice cat, but poor Beagle was terrified! Cat knew exactly what he was doing. Cracked me up.

Last edited:
Beagle and I got ambushed on our walk by a big black and white cat, who merely waltzed out of a shrub and allowed Beagle to get right up in his face. She kept jumping back. Nice cat, but poor Beagle was terrified! Cat knew exactly what he was doing. Cracked me up.
Love it.

Hey, I took a quiz that showed what kind of dog I would be if I was a dog...it turned up I'd be a beagle...

Oh yeah! I've taken several of those quizzes, and always end up with beagle too! Wonder why? Beagles rock!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom