Last thing that made you smile?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
images

Yes, I am, Z. Thanks for asking! I'm still not 100%, but I'm guessing once you pass the 60-year-old mile marker you just never get back to 100%. Still, any day on this side of the sod is a good one. ;)

Yes, I am, Z. Thanks for asking! I'm still not 100%, but I'm guessing once you pass the 60-year-old mile marker you just never get back to 100%. Still, any day on this side of the sod is a good one. ;)

So glad you're feeling better!

Hee hee! Every time I talk to my dad and ask how he's doing, he says, "I'm still vertical!" Woo hoo, Dad, glad to hear it! ;)

I'm happy to see the return of a winter visitor to the backyard feeder. This is a male Painted Bunting.

Attachments

• Painted Bunting Dec 8 2014.jpg
    Painted Bunting Dec 8 2014.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 157
Isn't he, though. Only thing is he looks like a fake.

His wife does not have the beautiful colors; she's a dull little thing, with a drab olive breast and gray-brown back and wings.

I only saw them once last winter. I hope this isn't my last sighting for this year.

We get Indigo buntings up here, have never seen the Painted. Indigos seem to prefer open farmland.

Last edited:
I've only see photos of the Indigo -- that incredible deep blue. Haven't seen any down here yet.

Look who I found out among the milkweeds; a Monarch chrysalis and a soon-to-be-one caterpillar still eating (circled in red). The chrysalis is first an emerald green, then progresses to this darker color just before hatching.

Still smiling. :)

Attachments

• Mon Cat & Pupa Dec 9 2014.JPG
    Mon Cat & Pupa Dec 9 2014.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 138
Makes me smile too! I found a tiny monarch caterpillar on one of my milkweeds this summer, but it was so windy I think it blew away. I kept checking, and couldn't find it again.

We did have more monarchs this year than I've seen for the last several years (none). Sure hope they're making a comeback.

Pretty Birdie, lizzie! When you said "winter visitor" and I saw green leaves I had to stop and remember you're in FL! So happy for you that you're finally getting gardening weather back again. Enjoy playing in the dirt, girl. ;)

You betcha, CG.

Green leaves and such are pretty, but there's hardly anything prettier than a bright red cardinal against the white snow. Especially when you're inside looking out.

No White Christmases down here, but I think I can handle that. :cool:

You betcha, CG.

Green leaves and such are pretty, but there's hardly anything prettier than a bright red cardinal against the white snow. Especially when you're inside looking out.

No White Christmases down here, but I think I can handle that. :cool:

My daughter gets a family of Cardinals late winter every year. By spring, the babies hatch. She also has a two Blue Jays all year long in her yard. :angel:

I was just reminded of something you bird-lovers might enjoy:

Try Googling this

Ozzie and Harriet Eagle Cam

This morning Harriet's sitting on at least one egg, keeping this cold snap chill off. It's in the 40's.

I had a sweet moment with my mother yesterday, when I was visiting her in hospital. (She has been there for 2 months now following a hip operation). I let her know that being with her was the most important part of what I currently do....her eyes went from drained and lifeless to being lit up and shining! Beautiful to behold.
415540.gif

Back
Top Bottom