Last thing that made you smile?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
since the devils aren't going to make it this year, lp, i'm rooting for the canucks! you guys still have luongo, yes?

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your Islanders, I have always liked them! We still have Luongo, the Sedins and Ryan Kessler. I appreciate you rooting for them, but if/when we meet the Blackhawks please cheer extra hard for Bobbie-Lou. We really need to break him of the game 7 curse of letting in 7 goals (twice to eliminate us!).

My smile comes from an unusual, unlikely and quite unexpected source...Glenn's ex-wife.

As some minor background, let's suffice it to say the marriage didn't end on "sweet" terms. He came home one day to find the house emptied. Literally. Furniture, appliances, dishes, bedding, everything. Same for the joint bank account. Shortly after this happened a friend of his from work dropped by unexpectedly. He was shocked at the emptiness of the house and commented (seriously, because he hadn't known what had occurred), "What happened, man, you get robbed?" I guess Glenn could've said "yes" but for reasons other than his friend was thinking. That was many years ago.

Fast forward to current day. When Glenn and I got married I asked him all kinds of questions about his growing up years, childhood, etc. Asked his mother, too. Neither of them had any pictures to show me. He's such a fabulous-looking guy, I wondered what kind of little boy/young man he must've been.

Well, lo and behold. In Monday's mail there was a package, wrapped in brown paper. Neither of us had ordered anything and it wasn't time for either of our birthdays, so we weren't expecting anything.

He looked at the return address on the package and nearly had a spasm. I saw the look on his face. What?! It was from his ex-wife. Why?!

We opened the package. Inside was an old, probably dating to the early '60s, 3-ring photo album. The kind with clear plastic sticky stuff that can be lifted to add/change photos. It was full to overflowing with photos of Glenn from the time he was an infant until, I guess, when he and the ex split.

There were tons of black-and-white ones of him during his elementary school years, his high school time and even some wonderful ones of the time he spent in the service during Vietnam.

Other pictures included some of his father, who was seriously injured and paralyzed just before Glenn turned 2. His daddy was a hunk and I suspected he looked a lot like him. The pictures proved me out.

I saw the cutest little boy and a young man turn into a handsome adult. The pictures with his three children during various milestone events in their lives only served to reinforce what a wonderful father he is and always has been. I can see why his children treasure him.

He was flabbergasted at the arrival of the album and couldn't imagine why his ex would've had it. My best guess, and I told him, is that in her haste to "clean house" when she left, she simply grabbed up stuff and packed it up, probably not realizing or caring what she took. Perhaps, now, she was just going through things or, in my mind a more likely scenario, is "cleaning out" another ex's place. Maybe she had a pang of guilt and decided that old, irreplaceable, photos should be returned to their rightful owner, which is a gold star she's earned in my eyes. I really don't care.

I've pored over the album for hours and will never get enough. I can't wait to put the photos in order, in a more secure album, and also scan them into the computer so they can be put on a disk for safer keeping. This kind of second chance needs to be heeded.

I now have more of the pieces of the patchwork that is the quilt that makes up who my loving husband is and I just can't stop smiling. When I get around to it, I'll post a photo or two so you can see why I'm smiling.

Katie, this will keep me smiling all day! Thanks for sharing. This also fits the random act of kindness thread in a huge way!

I think I told all of you how excited I was when Cade told me he wanted to take a cooking class at the junior college. Well today was the big day, And the poor kid had to coose between his first baseball game and team pictures. He shose to cook!! I surprised him the last hour, His mom went ahead and clled to him and then walked in the door, I followed and when he realize I wasthere you should have seen the look on his face. He broke into a huge smile then ran at me hugged me and got tears in his eyes. I love that boy so much. He loved the work and making thoings from scratch. He wants to take this teachers next class and learn to make lasagna. I am thrilled for and with hum. I guess you can guess he is my baby:) Just had to share with you.
kades

Oh, Ma, I am so glad you shared that! What did he make? You two have such a special relationship and now to share a love for cooking - that will keep a smile on my face for a long time.

I am also smiling because I just spent two hours at a Tim Horton's catching up with my best friend. She just came home from New York and it was great hearing her talk about it. But the best part was when I pulled out my computer and said "okay, let's order some tickets for Hairspray (a local production but they are always incredible)". I told her it was on me and the smile on her face and the tears in her eyes made it so worthwhile. I ordered them right then - for May 13th!

I think I told all of you how excited I was when Cade told me he wanted to take a cooking class at the junior college. Well today was the big day, And the poor kid had to coose between his first baseball game and team pictures. He shose to cook!! I surprised him the last hour, His mom went ahead and clled to him and then walked in the door, I followed and when he realize I wasthere you should have seen the look on his face. He broke into a huge smile then ran at me hugged me and got tears in his eyes. I love that boy so much. He loved the work and making thoings from scratch. He wants to take this teachers next class and learn to make lasagna. I am thrilled for and with hum. I guess you can guess he is my baby:) Just had to share with you.
kades

That is so great, Kades! That makes me smile!:)

Oh, Ma, I am so glad you shared that! What did he make? You two have such a special relationship and now to share a love for cooking - that will keep a smile on my face for a long time.

I am also smiling because I just spent two hours at a Tim Horton's catching up with my best friend. She just came home from New York and it was great hearing her talk about it. But the best part was when I pulled out my computer and said "okay, let's order some tickets for Hairspray (a local production but they are always incredible)". I told her it was on me and the smile on her face and the tears in her eyes made it so worthwhile. I ordered them right then - for May 13th!
Laurie, you are so sweet and good. I hope the two of you have a blast. Cade made an appy little 8 inch pizza, brushed with evoo and sea salt browned then they put on fontina and parmesan sheese melted the cheese he loved them than came a Salad torn romaine with a vinegrette made of orange zest and juice, evoo, salt, diced apple, and pepper and a pinch of sugar, spaghetti and the sauce from scratch and then homemade biscuits from scratch with whipped cream, they also were taught the proper way to use their knives. I was afrain me picky eater would have a problem with salad and pasta but he willing ly tasted it all the only thing he refused were strawberries which is mom and I were glad to swallow for him:ROFLMAO: I wish you could have been there to see his reaction to my coming, He didn't know I could get out and so things yet. So today was wonerful for me and you. hugs sweetie.
kades

I got to talk (on the phone) with my best friend today--she lives in CT. I haven't seen her since 2007 and we made plans that I'll come down for her birthday. That made me smile, but what made me laugh and smile was when she asked me if I'd bought "real" shoes for my upcoming trip to Chicago--we both wear Birkenstocks but she didn't think I should wear my "cartoony" dog Birkie clogs while I am attending the working group meetings...(we are twins separated at birth--the two of us make the same hand gestures, talk the same, and like and dislike the same things--drives her husband crazy...he can't get over how alike we are...I threaten to move in with him if she dies before she does since he's already trained...).

I giggled for two hours on Friday--the DH who has four degrees has to take an IQ test to qualify to do a two-week contract for the government...The guy can do complex math in his head, has a photographic memory, and an extensive vocabulary...I giggle every time I think about it. I downloaded the sample test for him...told him he'd better study...of course, the irony is that when he was 5 yrs. old, the school told his mother he was "retarded" and should be in a 'special' school...I guess that "assessment" is still part of his record if the government needs him to take an IQ test...(he's a man of few words, and as a child, didn't play with the other children in kindergarten--he thought it was boring and a waste of time...). His mother had to drag him to school every day...

PS--I will be wearing my Woodbys on the plane http://www.amazon.com/Birkis-Womens-Woodby-Clog/dp/B000XR7MQK

Last edited:
This isn't nearly so cool as some of the recent posts, but it did make me smile. Coming home for lunch a couple of days ago ( yes I am lucky I get to come home from work for lunch everyday). I happened to see two little girls (maybe 5 or 6 years old) playing in a yard, now we have had alot of rain the last couple of weeks......and these girls were playing in a mud hole that must have been 8 ft across not just a mud puddle, a "mud lolly" as my mother would say. The funniest bit to me was that they were wearing shorts and no shoes and looked like those women in mud wrestling competitions on tv, they were covered in mud from head to toe! It did seem odd to me however that their parents allowed this behavior when it was only 48F! But I stifled that thought and tried to remember being that age and how much fun they must have been having! Seems none of us can wait for Spring!

Sent from my iPhone using Cooking

Last edited:
Somebunny, that is a wonderful smile! Reminds me of my little dog, Joie - he hates to get wet, but there is a mud puddle a mile away he will scout it out and lie in it! At the dog park they can be pretty big and so he ends up being a total black dog instead of black and white! And his fir just soaks it all up. But like the girls, he has fun!

LP, now that just made me smile! Our dear departed Cocker Spaniel loved to roll in mud, especially right after a bath! Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Cooking

Luckytrim's Sunday Special quiz made me smile because it brought back some great memories - Back to the Future, John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band (which brought back Eddie and The Cruisers) and after a little thinking, Murphy Brown!

My fuzzy, brown alarm clock, Latte'...she would not leave me alone this morning, even laying on my back when I flopped all the way over. Of course she was purring the whole time, hard to be grouchy when someone loves you that much.

Steve Kray.jpgA good friend sent me this doctored pic of the notorious gangsters Reggie and Ronnie Kray I am Ronnie I think.:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom