"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Birthdays, Good Thoughts and DC Hugs

Old 01-14-2013, 12:32 AM   #31
Cupcake

It's so difficult to lose your mother. Just thinking of you and your family, and hoping you are taking care of yourself.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:58 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Thanks so much, guys. We're home now. There's so much to do still, I could have spent a lot more time getting things in order, but life needs to go on. It will be nice to sleep in our own bed again. Beagle is a wonderful travel dog, her little human cousin wanted to trade us her baby brother for the dog.....

Old 01-14-2013, 06:00 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Thanks so much, guys. We're home now. There's so much to do still, I could have spent a lot more time getting things in order, but life needs to go on. It will be nice to sleep in our own bed again. Beagle is a wonderful travel dog, her little human cousin wanted to trade us her baby brother for the dog.....

you are so awesome, dawg! who else but you could switch the dial like that and gift us all with the biggest smile of the day! childhood bartering, for realz.-- so innocently diabolical....
Old 01-14-2013, 07:39 PM   #34
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
LOL! I remember trying to send my brother back. We did try while he was still little and cute. But, he's still up for grabs.

Glad your trip was safe and you are home.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:44 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
For a kid that would be quite a coup.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:13 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

LOL! Niece did tell us he needs to be nursed....
Old 01-14-2013, 09:08 PM   #37
Sous Chef

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Big hugs from WV.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:24 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

DL--as I've been dealing with my mom's dementia (I'm losing her slowly), one of the things that has brought me comfort is the letters from friends when I was an exchange student. One friend wrote how she ran into my mom on the street and they were talking about me--her words (my friend's) were that "your mom's eyes lit up like diamonds when she talked about you--she loves you so much, you are so lucky." That letter is one I treasure. Treasure the memories of the good times, the funny times, and hopefully, your friends will share their memories of your mom with you that you can hold to your heart. There is no other person in the world who can take the place of one's mom. Always hold the positive memories close--if you were to put those memories on video tapes/DVDs, there would be a whole lot more of those tapes than any bad memories. Play those happy memory DVDs/tapes over and over again, and if a negative tape starts to play, play one of those happy memory DVDs to chase away the negative tape. {{{Hugs}}}
Old 01-14-2013, 09:45 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

You are all the best! Thank you all for the kind thoughts and words of wisdom.

CWS, it is so hard to see a strong woman go downhill. Hugs to you.

Am still working on the obit and memorial, along with sorting out several lifetimes of stuff that we brought back. I am so glad we didn't have a service yet, there was a major blizzard on the day my sister wanted it, and it would have been rushed. We will postpone it for a time the other out of town friends and relatives can make it. Mom was cremated, so there is no rush. She'll keep.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:57 PM   #40
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Spring is a good time. Better weather and easier with kids out of school.