Saved somebody's life today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocklobster

Master Chef
It was a very interesting day.

I was working away on an guest apartment over a garage at a summer home today. It is on the shores of a nearby lake. My boss told me to turn the radio off for a second. He heard somebody yelling for help. We went outside and listened and sure enough we hear somebody in distress yelling for help. We didn't know where it was coming from so we followed the sound and when we got to the lake shore I spotted a guy out in the lake. His canoe had tipped and he was having trouble. The wind was up and the water was very rough. I yelled at him that we were coming. Everybody is gone for the season so we found a canoe at the next door neighbours but could not find a paddle. My boss ran next door and yelled that he found a peddle boat. He passed by me and I jumped in, after slipping on the rocks and falling in. We peddled like hell out about 60 yards in the lake and finally reached him. He was very weak. So I reached down and held him up with his head out of the water. We couldn't get the boat back to shore because of the wind and with me hanging over the side hanging on to this guy. My boss is from the area so he used his cell phone to call a friend he knows who lives nearby on the lake to get his boat. We waited for about 20 minutes hanging on to this guy who was getting colder by the minute and almost incoherent. Finally, we saw a boat coming and as it turns out, the friend couldn't get his boat started so he phoned another resident who came out to pick us up. We finally go the exhausted guy in the boat and peddled back to shore.

I ended up going back to work and finished painting a room.:LOL:

What a rush....

Last edited:
WOW! That was one lucky guy.
Yeah. We were the only ones around and just happened to be working there that day. Normally, we have the windows closed and the radio on, saws or sanders going.

Aunt Bea, amongst all of the comotion I never made it to the beer store in time (the joys of living in Ontario) and all I have is a couple of Wheat beers. So, it into the wine for me. Lots of that kicking around...

Last edited:
He was very lucky. He couldn't swim. He was fully clothed and still had his boots on. We kept him talking while we were waiting. He was on his first day of his holidays. His wife was back at their cottage having a nap. He thought he would take the canoe out and when he got it in a cross breeze the rough water flipped him. He will sure have a story to tell her when he gets home.

Whoaaa, Rock! You rock! Will the local rag pick this up? They should!

It was a very interesting day.

I was working away on an guest apartment over a garage at a summer home today. It is on the shores of a nearby lake. My boss told me to turn the radio off for a second. He heard somebody yelling for help. We went outside and listened and sure enough we hear somebody in distress yelling for help. We didn't know where it was coming from so we followed the sound and when we got to the lake shore I spotted a guy out in the lake. His canoe had tipped and he was having trouble. The wind was up and the water was very rough. I yelled at him that we were coming. Everybody is gone for the season so we found a canoe at the next door neighbours but could not find a paddle. My boss ran next door and yelled that he found a peddle boat. He passed by me and I jumped in, after slipping on the rocks and falling in. We peddled like hell out about 60 yards in the lake and finally reached him. He was very weak. So I reached down and held him up with his head out of the water. We couldn't get the boat back to shore because of the wind and with me hanging over the side hanging on to this guy. My boss is from the area so he used his cell phone to call a friend he knows who lives nearby on the lake to get his boat. We waited for about 20 minutes hanging on to this guy who was getting colder by the minute and almost incoherent. Finally, we saw a boat coming and as it turns out, the friend couldn't get his boat started so he phoned another resident who came out to pick us up. We finally go the exhausted guy in the boat and peddled back to shore.

I ended up going back to work and finished painting a room.:LOL:

What a rush....
Just another day at the office, huh? +1

You never know what will happen in a day. Glad God (of karma or whatever you believe) put you and your boss in that place that day. You will be richly rewarded!

Wow. That guy was lucky. It's great that everything came together for him the way it did. Good for you and all others involved.

Back
Top Bottom