"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Birthdays, Good Thoughts and DC Hugs

Old 02-04-2013, 08:07 PM   #21
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
lol, chief.

hey, wait, which finger are you holding up as #1?

snip, you did more the right thing. you did the right thing the right way.
I don't use THAT finger. i've got more snow around here than I know what to do with. I'm sending you a car-sized snowball right now. Hope you got a big snow-cone paper.

Tried to to a good thing today, outside Wally-world. There was a lady who had a full shopping cart in front of her, and casts on her arms. I asked if I could help. She declined the offer. She already had help on the way. Ah well, I tried.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:23 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post

I don't use THAT finger. i've got more snow around here than I know what to do with. I'm sending you a car-sized snowball right now. Hope you got a big snow-cone paper.

Tried to to a good thing today, outside Wally-world. There was a lady who had a full shopping cart in front of her, and casts on her arms. I asked if I could help. She declined the offer. She already had help on the way. Ah well, I tried.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Chief, that reminds me of stories of Ted Bundy, and of Buffalo Bill from Silence of the Lambs. Both would feign injury with fake casts and lure their victims into the back of the van, never to be seen again in their original state. Thankfully, you didn't succumb!

Old 02-04-2013, 08:33 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

you know, it does sound kinda fishy, dawg. casts on both arms? how did she shop? how was she going to drive home?

hmmm.

but as far as his original state, i think the chief will always be a youper.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:42 PM   #24
Executive Chef

I help my neighbors, to the extent that I can, whenever they ask for help. Other than that, I help a wide variety of people by forking over some $30+K to big bro, who supposedly uses a large portion of my bucks to help lotsa 'needy' people.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:47 PM   #25
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
you know, it does sound kinda fishy, dawg. casts on both arms? how did she shop? how was she going to drive home?

hmmm.

but as far as his original state, i think the chief will always be a youper.
The casts looked real enough. She looked Native American, and was very genuine and polite in her refusal. It appeared that a relative was coming to her aid from the parking lot. I suspect that he partner drove and assisted with the shopping.

True story - Sister Rafael, in 7th grade, fell on ice and broke both wrists. She wore casts on both arms, up to the elbows. She had a habit of whacking students. I got slapped in the face once because a student made a noise and distracted me for a fraction of a second, while she was attempting to explain a math problem to me. She also whacked a student with one of her casts. Some of the most ornery women I have ever met were nuns. But then again, some the most caring women I've met were nuns. It is true, that where there is the most evil, there also is found the most good.

i'm sure the ornery nuns weren't truly evil. But they sure were ornery.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 02-04-2013, 09:05 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
I help my neighbors, to the extent that I can, whenever they ask for help. Other than that, I help a wide variety of people by forking over some $30+K to big bro, who supposedly uses a large portion of my bucks to help lotsa 'needy' people.

lol, you can't call paying taxes charity, jpb. lots of your 30k goes for fire, police, the military, water, sewer, the streets you drive on, and pbs...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:16 PM   #27
Master Chef

I had the pleasure of teaching a class of ten ladies, and one man, how to use a pressure cooker, for making both the main course and desert last night. I made a simple beef, pork, and veggie stew, in 7 minutes cooking time, and a vanilla-cinnamon flan. I also taught knife skills, and a little about different types of knives, how to sharpen, and hone them, and the various bevels, and what to look for when purchasing. I brought several thin, plastic cutting sheets, and a maple cutting board. The participants got to use all of the knives while prepping the food for the PC. They loved my Chroma Chef's knife, and my carbon steel slicer. They also got to learn why I don't like serrated knives, or hollow ground knives by trying them on different foods.

The foods were a success, with most of the folks impressed with the performance, and how easy it was to use the PC's. They also learned how to use a pinch grip.

I was asked by several people if I was going to be soon giving other cooking classes. I referred them to the Health Center staff member who sets up the classes, and told them I'm willing if called upon.

I had such a great time doing the class that I almost feel guilty about calling it a good deed.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Old 02-07-2013, 04:29 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

I haven't even *seen* anyone today except for DH before he left for work. However, I offered to help someone - does that count? They're going to be teaching PowerPoint in the master gardener class next week; I already know it quite well, so I offered to help during the class, if needed.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:32 PM   #29
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I haven't even *seen* anyone today except for DH before he left for work. However, I offered to help someone - does that count? They're going to be teaching PowerPoint in the master gardener class next week; I already know it quite well, so I offered to help during the class, if needed.
Good job. And offering to help, even if the help is declined, is a good deed as it shows others that there are still good people in the world. And, the example you set just might inspire others to do the same.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Old 02-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
I had the pleasure of teaching a class of ten ladies, and one man, how to use a pressure cooker, for making both the main course and desert last night. I made a simple beef, pork, and veggie stew, in 7 minutes cooking time, and a vanilla-cinnamon flan. I also taught knife skills, and a little about different types of knives, how to sharpen, and hone them, and the various bevels, and what to look for when purchasing. I brought several thin, plastic cutting sheets, and a maple cutting board. The participants got to use all of the knives while prepping the food for the PC. They loved my Chroma Chef's knife, and my carbon steel slicer. They also got to learn why I don't like serrated knives, or hollow ground knives by trying them on different foods.

The foods were a success, with most of the folks impressed with the performance, and how easy it was to use the PC's. They also learned how to use a pinch grip.

I was asked by several people if I was going to be soon giving other cooking classes. I referred them to the Health Center staff member who sets up the classes, and told them I'm willing if called upon.

I had such a great time doing the class that I almost feel guilty about calling it a good deed.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Now that is cool ! Wish I could take a class from you .. I'm positive it would be productive as well as a ton of fun .. good job !