"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Birthdays, Good Thoughts and DC Hugs
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-04-2013, 08:07 PM   #21
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
lol, chief.

hey, wait, which finger are you holding up as #1?


snip, you did more the right thing. you did the right thing the right way.
I don't use THAT finger. i've got more snow around here than I know what to do with. I'm sending you a car-sized snowball right now. Hope you got a big snow-cone paper.

Tried to to a good thing today, outside Wally-world. There was a lady who had a full shopping cart in front of her, and casts on her arms. I asked if I could help. She declined the offer. She already had help on the way. Ah well, I tried.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________

__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:23 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post

I don't use THAT finger. i've got more snow around here than I know what to do with. I'm sending you a car-sized snowball right now. Hope you got a big snow-cone paper.

Tried to to a good thing today, outside Wally-world. There was a lady who had a full shopping cart in front of her, and casts on her arms. I asked if I could help. She declined the offer. She already had help on the way. Ah well, I tried.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Chief, that reminds me of stories of Ted Bundy, and of Buffalo Bill from Silence of the Lambs. Both would feign injury with fake casts and lure their victims into the back of the van, never to be seen again in their original state. Thankfully, you didn't succumb!
__________________

__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:33 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 18,764
you know, it does sound kinda fishy, dawg. casts on both arms? how did she shop? how was she going to drive home?

hmmm.

but as far as his original state, i think the chief will always be a youper.
__________________
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.


Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:42 PM   #24
Executive Chef
 
justplainbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Eastern Long Island, New York
Posts: 4,206
I help my neighbors, to the extent that I can, whenever they ask for help. Other than that, I help a wide variety of people by forking over some $30+K to big bro, who supposedly uses a large portion of my bucks to help lotsa 'needy' people.
__________________
justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:47 PM   #25
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
you know, it does sound kinda fishy, dawg. casts on both arms? how did she shop? how was she going to drive home?

hmmm.

but as far as his original state, i think the chief will always be a youper.
The casts looked real enough. She looked Native American, and was very genuine and polite in her refusal. It appeared that a relative was coming to her aid from the parking lot. I suspect that he partner drove and assisted with the shopping.

True story - Sister Rafael, in 7th grade, fell on ice and broke both wrists. She wore casts on both arms, up to the elbows. She had a habit of whacking students. I got slapped in the face once because a student made a noise and distracted me for a fraction of a second, while she was attempting to explain a math problem to me. She also whacked a student with one of her casts. Some of the most ornery women I have ever met were nuns. But then again, some the most caring women I've met were nuns. It is true, that where there is the most evil, there also is found the most good.

i'm sure the ornery nuns weren't truly evil. But they sure were ornery.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:05 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 18,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
I help my neighbors, to the extent that I can, whenever they ask for help. Other than that, I help a wide variety of people by forking over some $30+K to big bro, who supposedly uses a large portion of my bucks to help lotsa 'needy' people.

lol, you can't call paying taxes charity, jpb. lots of your 30k goes for fire, police, the military, water, sewer, the streets you drive on, and pbs...
__________________
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.


Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:16 PM   #27
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
I had the pleasure of teaching a class of ten ladies, and one man, how to use a pressure cooker, for making both the main course and desert last night. I made a simple beef, pork, and veggie stew, in 7 minutes cooking time, and a vanilla-cinnamon flan. I also taught knife skills, and a little about different types of knives, how to sharpen, and hone them, and the various bevels, and what to look for when purchasing. I brought several thin, plastic cutting sheets, and a maple cutting board. The participants got to use all of the knives while prepping the food for the PC. They loved my Chroma Chef's knife, and my carbon steel slicer. They also got to learn why I don't like serrated knives, or hollow ground knives by trying them on different foods.

The foods were a success, with most of the folks impressed with the performance, and how easy it was to use the PC's. They also learned how to use a pinch grip.

I was asked by several people if I was going to be soon giving other cooking classes. I referred them to the Health Center staff member who sets up the classes, and told them I'm willing if called upon.

I had such a great time doing the class that I almost feel guilty about calling it a good deed.


Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:29 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,896
I haven't even *seen* anyone today except for DH before he left for work. However, I offered to help someone - does that count? They're going to be teaching PowerPoint in the master gardener class next week; I already know it quite well, so I offered to help during the class, if needed.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:32 PM   #29
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I haven't even *seen* anyone today except for DH before he left for work. However, I offered to help someone - does that count? They're going to be teaching PowerPoint in the master gardener class next week; I already know it quite well, so I offered to help during the class, if needed.
Good job. And offering to help, even if the help is declined, is a good deed as it shows others that there are still good people in the world. And, the example you set just might inspire others to do the same.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #30
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
I had the pleasure of teaching a class of ten ladies, and one man, how to use a pressure cooker, for making both the main course and desert last night. I made a simple beef, pork, and veggie stew, in 7 minutes cooking time, and a vanilla-cinnamon flan. I also taught knife skills, and a little about different types of knives, how to sharpen, and hone them, and the various bevels, and what to look for when purchasing. I brought several thin, plastic cutting sheets, and a maple cutting board. The participants got to use all of the knives while prepping the food for the PC. They loved my Chroma Chef's knife, and my carbon steel slicer. They also got to learn why I don't like serrated knives, or hollow ground knives by trying them on different foods.

The foods were a success, with most of the folks impressed with the performance, and how easy it was to use the PC's. They also learned how to use a pinch grip.

I was asked by several people if I was going to be soon giving other cooking classes. I referred them to the Health Center staff member who sets up the classes, and told them I'm willing if called upon.

I had such a great time doing the class that I almost feel guilty about calling it a good deed.


Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Now that is cool ! Wish I could take a class from you .. I'm positive it would be productive as well as a ton of fun .. good job !
__________________

__________________
MrsLMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.