"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Birthdays, Good Thoughts and DC Hugs
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-06-2013, 05:35 AM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 18,699
you know, chief, this thread inspired me to do a good deed the other night.

as i was driving down my block on my way into work, i was stuck behind a few cars and in front was a handicapped access mini-bus blocking the one way street.

it took what seemed like a very long couple of minutes before an old woman emerged, and the driver followed carrying out one of those wire laundry carts that was packed full and looked pretty heavy.

even though it was 10:30 at night, one of the drivers in front of me started to tap his horn as if to try to get the bus driver and woman to hurry up, but all that did was get the bus driver angry. instead of getting directly back into the bus, he walked behind it and started yelling at those of us stuck behind him. he then took his time getting back in and finally drove away.

in all of this, the old lady seemed to be forgotten about. by the time i moved up, i saw her struggling to pull her cart up the stairs of her house. so i pulled into a small driveway, blocking the sidewalk to allow cars behind me to pass.

i hopped out, pulled her cart up the stairs, and helped her get it into her front porch. before she even said a word, i ran back down the stairs, got back into my truck, and resumed my commute into work.

but i have to say that while i was first waiting behind the mini-bus and was then kind of offended at whomever was honking so rudely, this thread popped into my mind as to what i could do to help out (and speed things up a bit, lol ) and i acted accordingly.

so if she ever said thanks, which i didn't wait for since i was already going to be a few minutes late for work anyway, it really goes to you for infecting my mind, er, i mean for starting this thread.

__________________

__________________
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.


Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:14 AM   #42
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
you know, chief, this thread inspired me to do a good deed the other night.

as i was driving down my block on my way into work, i was stuck behind a few cars and in front was a handicapped access mini-bus blocking the one way street.

it took what seemed like a very long couple of minutes before an old woman emerged, and the driver followed carrying out one of those wire laundry carts that was packed full and looked pretty heavy.

even though it was 10:30 at night, one of the drivers in front of me started to tap his horn as if to try to get the bus driver and woman to hurry up, but all that did was get the bus driver angry. instead of getting directly back into the bus, he walked behind it and started yelling at those of us stuck behind him. he then took his time getting back in and finally drove away.

in all of this, the old lady seemed to be forgotten about. by the time i moved up, i saw her struggling to pull her cart up the stairs of her house. so i pulled into a small driveway, blocking the sidewalk to allow cars behind me to pass.

i hopped out, pulled her cart up the stairs, and helped her get it into her front porch. before she even said a word, i ran back down the stairs, got back into my truck, and resumed my commute into work.

but i have to say that while i was first waiting behind the mini-bus and was then kind of offended at whomever was honking so rudely, this thread popped into my mind as to what i could do to help out (and speed things up a bit, lol ) and i acted accordingly.

so if she ever said thanks, which i didn't wait for since i was already going to be a few minutes late for work anyway, it really goes to you for infecting my mind, er, i mean for starting this thread.

BT, you don't know how good your post makes me feel. That's why the thread was started. Kudos to you and your actions. I am fond of saying that the world is a little better place because my children are in it. And when I say that, I do so because I honestly believe it. You may not be my child, but you are my brother, and the world is a better place because you're in it.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________

__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:55 PM   #43
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
At Wal Mart, an elderly lady insisted I go before her in the checkout line, as I only had 3 things in my cart, and she had multiple family members with carts. It was nice to see that there are great and polite people in the world. I returned the favor by unloading her shopping carts, including items that were too heavy for her to lift easily. You could tell that she was appreciative.

When strangers are willing to go out of there way, even if it's just a little thing, for others, it really makes that moment in time very special indeed.

I encourage everyone on DC to do one simple thing for someone else, tomorrow. Let's help turn this world around.

Another idea; What if we were all to send a message to our governmental representatives asking for a national day of goodwill, where we commit to one good act toward someone else. Maybe the good feelings could spur something good.

I'm going to go on Facebook and float the idea there. What would be a good date for this? Any ideas?

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:06 PM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,284
A friend's BIL died unexpectedly a week ago. I have had her wild dogs at my house for a week, So, I guess I've been helping someone for week, not just today (but I am watching the clock and checking to make sure her flight back is on time...she's picking them up tonight at about 3:00 a.m.).
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:08 AM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 18,699
wild dogs?

are they cute little prarie dogs that pop their heads out of holes, looking around?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post

I'm going to go on Facebook and float the idea there. What would be a good date for this? Any ideas?

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
september 30th?
__________________
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.


Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:10 AM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
september 30th?
What about a date in January when people are strapped for cash following the holidays and struggling to get through the winter? Would that not be more uplifting?
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:17 AM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 18,699
no, the best people on earth were born on sept. 30, so it should be celebrated with great acts of kindness and giving.
__________________
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.


Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:27 AM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
no, the best people on earth were born on sept. 30, so it should be celebrated with great acts of kindness and giving.
BT--I'm going to call BS.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:50 AM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 18,699
the chief's birthday is sept. 30, you know...
__________________
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.


Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:11 AM   #50
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
BT--I'm going to call BS.
What's wrong with Sept. 30th? I know this guy from Joisey who inspires me and his birthday is on Sept. 30th as well. I like it.

Seeeeeeyal; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________

__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.