Who have you helped today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
you know, chief, this thread inspired me to do a good deed the other night.

as i was driving down my block on my way into work, i was stuck behind a few cars and in front was a handicapped access mini-bus blocking the one way street.

it took what seemed like a very long couple of minutes before an old woman emerged, and the driver followed carrying out one of those wire laundry carts that was packed full and looked pretty heavy.

even though it was 10:30 at night, one of the drivers in front of me started to tap his horn as if to try to get the bus driver and woman to hurry up, but all that did was get the bus driver angry. instead of getting directly back into the bus, he walked behind it and started yelling at those of us stuck behind him. he then took his time getting back in and finally drove away.

in all of this, the old lady seemed to be forgotten about. by the time i moved up, i saw her struggling to pull her cart up the stairs of her house. so i pulled into a small driveway, blocking the sidewalk to allow cars behind me to pass.

i hopped out, pulled her cart up the stairs, and helped her get it into her front porch. before she even said a word, i ran back down the stairs, got back into my truck, and resumed my commute into work.

but i have to say that while i was first waiting behind the mini-bus and was then kind of offended at whomever was honking so rudely, this thread popped into my mind as to what i could do to help out (and speed things up a bit, lol :cool:) and i acted accordingly.

so if she ever said thanks, which i didn't wait for since i was already going to be a few minutes late for work anyway, it really goes to you for infecting my mind, er, i mean for starting this thread.

:)

you know, chief, this thread inspired me to do a good deed the other night.

as i was driving down my block on my way into work, i was stuck behind a few cars and in front was a handicapped access mini-bus blocking the one way street.

it took what seemed like a very long couple of minutes before an old woman emerged, and the driver followed carrying out one of those wire laundry carts that was packed full and looked pretty heavy.

even though it was 10:30 at night, one of the drivers in front of me started to tap his horn as if to try to get the bus driver and woman to hurry up, but all that did was get the bus driver angry. instead of getting directly back into the bus, he walked behind it and started yelling at those of us stuck behind him. he then took his time getting back in and finally drove away.

in all of this, the old lady seemed to be forgotten about. by the time i moved up, i saw her struggling to pull her cart up the stairs of her house. so i pulled into a small driveway, blocking the sidewalk to allow cars behind me to pass.

i hopped out, pulled her cart up the stairs, and helped her get it into her front porch. before she even said a word, i ran back down the stairs, got back into my truck, and resumed my commute into work.

but i have to say that while i was first waiting behind the mini-bus and was then kind of offended at whomever was honking so rudely, this thread popped into my mind as to what i could do to help out (and speed things up a bit, lol :cool:) and i acted accordingly.

so if she ever said thanks, which i didn't wait for since i was already going to be a few minutes late for work anyway, it really goes to you for infecting my mind, er, i mean for starting this thread.

:)

BT, you don't know how good your post makes me feel. That's why the thread was started. Kudos to you and your actions. I am fond of saying that the world is a little better place because my children are in it. And when I say that, I do so because I honestly believe it. You may not be my child, but you are my brother, and the world is a better place because you're in it.:)

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

At Wal Mart, an elderly lady insisted I go before her in the checkout line, as I only had 3 things in my cart, and she had multiple family members with carts. It was nice to see that there are great and polite people in the world. I returned the favor by unloading her shopping carts, including items that were too heavy for her to lift easily. You could tell that she was appreciative.

When strangers are willing to go out of there way, even if it's just a little thing, for others, it really makes that moment in time very special indeed.

I encourage everyone on DC to do one simple thing for someone else, tomorrow. Let's help turn this world around.

Another idea; What if we were all to send a message to our governmental representatives asking for a national day of goodwill, where we commit to one good act toward someone else. Maybe the good feelings could spur something good.

I'm going to go on Facebook and float the idea there. What would be a good date for this? Any ideas?

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

A friend's BIL died unexpectedly a week ago. I have had her wild dogs at my house for a week, So, I guess I've been helping someone for week, not just today (but I am watching the clock and checking to make sure her flight back is on time...she's picking them up tonight at about 3:00 a.m.).

no, the best people on earth were born on sept. 30, so it should be celebrated with great acts of kindness and giving.

Nothing that I did but wanted to share something that someone else does most everyday.

DH has many Dr appointments - usually 4 or more per month. They are all at the same facility so our route is always the same. Our appointments are always in the mornings and usually about 9am.

So we drive 30 miles to this facility. There is one teeny tiny little town we drive through .. truly a blink in the road.

Regardless of the weather, there is a man who is standing at the main corner in that town and he waves and smiles at every single car that drives by.

We call him our guy ... no matter what our conversation at that time, it always stops and he makes us smile as we wave back at him.

We were there this morning .. only this time we stopped and handed him a warm cup of coffee we had purchased on the way.

Turns out his name is Joe and he has some disabilities. He says he has to do his "job" everyday to make sure other people have a nice day ... now how cool is that !!

Nothing that I did but wanted to share something that someone else does most everyday.

DH has many Dr appointments - usually 4 or more per month. They are all at the same facility so our route is always the same. Our appointments are always in the mornings and usually about 9am.

So we drive 30 miles to this facility. There is one teeny tiny little town we drive through .. truly a blink in the road.

Regardless of the weather, there is a man who is standing at the main corner in that town and he waves and smiles at every single car that drives by.

We call him our guy ... no matter what our conversation at that time, it always stops and he makes us smile as we wave back at him.

We were there this morning .. only this time we stopped and handed him a warm cup of coffee we had purchased on the way.

Turns out his name is Joe and he has some disabilities. He says he has to do his "job" everyday to make sure other people have a nice day ... now how cool is that !!

Joe is surely a man to be emulated. and we all need to do something every day to help someone else's day be better, even if it's as simple as sharing a good joke, or doing something to make someone smile.

One time, about twelve years back, I was walking down a hallway toward the cafeteria. When I was about a third of the way down, two ladies rounded the opposite corner and entered the hall way. I was wearing dress pants and a shirt and tie, with a shirt pocket containing a pen, a drafting pencil, and some spare change. I promptly did a cartwheel, causing everything to spill from my pocket. In addition, I was (and still am) 5'6", and 222 lbs./ My cartwheeling skills were in top shape back then, but I still looked rediculous doing them.

My fellow workers burst into giggles, and for the next month, every time I passed their offices, the broke into giggles again and again. Now you have to understand, some would call that flirting. But honestly, I was playing the clown, willingly, just to make whoever walked by laugh. I just worked longer than I had expected.

I consider that act, a good deed, as much as assisting a neighbor by shoveling his driveway. So you can see, that in my eyes, that man was one who does a great deed daily. And he has my respect.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Everyday I make it my personal thing to make one stranger smile. The kindest reward is when they thank me for 'making their day'. Too much negativity in the world and spreading a little sunshine makes it just a bit brighter.

Everyday I make it my personal thing to make one stranger smile. The kindest reward is when they thank me for 'making their day'. Too much negativity in the world and spreading a little sunshine makes it just a bit brighter.

I'm glad you are on DC and have brought this thread back to remind us all to make the world a little better place. Thanks.

seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom