"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Birthdays, Good Thoughts and DC Hugs

Old 04-12-2013, 05:28 PM   #51
Executive Chef

Nothing that I did but wanted to share something that someone else does most everyday.

DH has many Dr appointments - usually 4 or more per month. They are all at the same facility so our route is always the same. Our appointments are always in the mornings and usually about 9am.

So we drive 30 miles to this facility. There is one teeny tiny little town we drive through .. truly a blink in the road.

Regardless of the weather, there is a man who is standing at the main corner in that town and he waves and smiles at every single car that drives by.

We call him our guy ... no matter what our conversation at that time, it always stops and he makes us smile as we wave back at him.

We were there this morning .. only this time we stopped and handed him a warm cup of coffee we had purchased on the way.

Turns out his name is Joe and he has some disabilities. He says he has to do his "job" everyday to make sure other people have a nice day ... now how cool is that !!

Old 04-12-2013, 07:13 PM   #52
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLMB View Post
Nothing that I did but wanted to share something that someone else does most everyday.

DH has many Dr appointments - usually 4 or more per month. They are all at the same facility so our route is always the same. Our appointments are always in the mornings and usually about 9am.

So we drive 30 miles to this facility. There is one teeny tiny little town we drive through .. truly a blink in the road.

Regardless of the weather, there is a man who is standing at the main corner in that town and he waves and smiles at every single car that drives by.

We call him our guy ... no matter what our conversation at that time, it always stops and he makes us smile as we wave back at him.

We were there this morning .. only this time we stopped and handed him a warm cup of coffee we had purchased on the way.

Turns out his name is Joe and he has some disabilities. He says he has to do his "job" everyday to make sure other people have a nice day ... now how cool is that !!
Joe is surely a man to be emulated. and we all need to do something every day to help someone else's day be better, even if it's as simple as sharing a good joke, or doing something to make someone smile.

One time, about twelve years back, I was walking down a hallway toward the cafeteria. When I was about a third of the way down, two ladies rounded the opposite corner and entered the hall way. I was wearing dress pants and a shirt and tie, with a shirt pocket containing a pen, a drafting pencil, and some spare change. I promptly did a cartwheel, causing everything to spill from my pocket. In addition, I was (and still am) 5'6", and 222 lbs./ My cartwheeling skills were in top shape back then, but I still looked rediculous doing them.

My fellow workers burst into giggles, and for the next month, every time I passed their offices, the broke into giggles again and again. Now you have to understand, some would call that flirting. But honestly, I was playing the clown, willingly, just to make whoever walked by laugh. I just worked longer than I had expected.

I consider that act, a good deed, as much as assisting a neighbor by shoveling his driveway. So you can see, that in my eyes, that man was one who does a great deed daily. And he has my respect.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:20 AM   #53
Senior Cook

Everyday I make it my personal thing to make one stranger smile. The kindest reward is when they thank me for 'making their day'. Too much negativity in the world and spreading a little sunshine makes it just a bit brighter.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:51 AM   #54
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoodieFanatic View Post
Everyday I make it my personal thing to make one stranger smile. The kindest reward is when they thank me for 'making their day'. Too much negativity in the world and spreading a little sunshine makes it just a bit brighter.
I'm glad you are on DC and have brought this thread back to remind us all to make the world a little better place. Thanks.

seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote