Who have you helped today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
New thread. Who have you helped today? The help can be as simple as opening the door for someone, or giving a good recipe to a stranger, or teaching a child how to make their very own first batch of cookies. It can be donating time to a soup kitchen, or assisting a freind moving furniture. The only thing is that it needs to be motivated simply by wanting to help someone, no reward or compensation required.

I'm hoping this will give us all a reason to step up in whatever way we can, to make the world a little better place.

Me, I picked up a check for a friend who is out of town, and has had surgery, and delivered it to the bank for her, so she can pay her rent.

If you don't want to participate in this thread, that's ok. And if you have any ideas for unique ways we can help others, even if we're financially strapped, or don't have the muscles to help move furniture, speak up.

And again, this thread isn't to toot our own horns, but rather to inspire each other to make the world better through action.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Super timing on this thread !

DH had one of his Dr appointments this morning. As we were leaving there was an elderly gentleman trying to get to his car. He was using a walker and the parking lot was snowy and icy. Poor guy was so cold as the wind was blowing and the temp was only 7F. We walked up beside him and offered to help him. We each took an arm and helped him get to his car much quicker. Then I started his car for him and turned on the heater. He was so sweet and thankful. He said he is all alone with no family and coming to the Dr is all he has.

This place is for military veterans and so I have the highest respect for each and every person who goes there. This man looked to be near 90 years old .. reminded me of my Grandpa.

Anyway .. we got him into his car and he wanted to pay us for helping .. we declined of course and thanked him for what he had done for our country.

He wanted to know when we were coming next as he wanted to see us again.

Turns out he lives in our town so we will be meeting up with him periodically to check on him.

We felt so good about helping him .. not only physically helping him today but we think we saw a sparkle in his eye knowing that he had a couple of new friends.

I tell you .. nothing can beat the feeling of helping another person .. it's the best !!

a younger coworker that's scheduled to work the overnight shift asked me to cover for him so he could get out early tonight. he's going camping (car camping, really) this weekend and has to get to a meeting with his friends to go over logistics.

besides letting him go early, i also told him as much as i could about how to survive a camping trip when it's going to be in the single digits out most of the day, and around zero or below at night. where to pitch his tent on a ridge, how to create a wind break, how to collect and cut firewood, how to dress during the day and just before hitting the sleeping bag at night, not to bring beer (lol) as it'll freeze solid, and even wine needs to be kept near the fire when it's that cold out, and so on.

hopefully he'll survive as he's a good guy.

thanks very much, gg.

i can't wait to take my son out on winter trips. teach him how to make snow shoes out of pine branches, start a fire with a shoelace, how to find the north star (google skymaps, lol)...

A lady we know needed a place to temporarily park her mini-fan and asked if she could use our side yard. I said I'd get the 3 foot of snow cleaned off of it and she could park there. I called the neighbor with the big snow-blower, you know, the kind that are taller than you, have a cab, and a diesel engine to power it. I gave him 10 bucks for gas and time. He dug a bit to deep and clogged the throwing shoot with snow and sand. It froze in there. It took me, and another neighbor with a crow bar, about 3 hours to clear the chute, and I had to finish shoveling by hand. About 4 hours work was done, total. I hope she appreciates it. That's all I need, a bit of appreciation.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Great advice to share buckytom .. hope he has great stories to share when he returns !!

Chief .. that's a lot of work you did there .. most would have given up .. nice job !!

You can even help out when you're under the weather. I've been down with a stubborn cold for about 5 days now. Haven't even shoveled my driveway. But today, I got a chance to help two people, without ever getting out of my chair.

The first was a friend who found a source for yak meat, right here in the U.P. I thought the critters could only be found in Asia. Seems we have some in Alaska, and here in Michigan. Who knew. Anyway, she stated to me, over the phone that it was very lean meat, and tasted much like elk. She asked me to help her figure out when her meatloaf would be done through. I pointed her to a trusty meat thermometer and told her to measure the inside temp, in the middle of the loaf, and to take it out at 165' F. I also reviewed the ingredients she used, to try and counter the dryness of the lean meat.

2nd good deed, helped Sprout, over the phone again, to save bread dough that may have been overheated on the bottom.

We don't often think of the little things we do as being good deeds. But if they are done to help others, any kind of help at all, then it's worth doing. So go out there and console any poor person who rooted for the losing Superbowl team, and share with them some of those goodies that you all made. Then, you can feel like this - :D.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I nagged, err, reminded Shrek to take his meds, does that count?

The little old next door takes her trash out ten steps at a time. When I catch her at it, I take it all the way for her. Some days she is only able to get it out the door. Anytime I see it or her I take over, trash I can do.

Betcha she'd appreciate a great layered cake, with maybe six layers. Make the cake a yummy, and moist yellow cake, with a butterscotch flavored butter cream frosting between layers, and slathered all over the outside. Dress with shaved white chocolate, and slivered almonds.

Now that would be a good deed, if she's not diabetic.

Last edited by a moderator:
jes' don't go offerin' her any aspic, right chief? :cool:

:D

i helped the guy that collects the shopping carts in the parking lot of a supermarket today. it was a madhouse there today, both because it was the super bowl and also because they have a large kosher section and it was a sunday (it's always busy there on sunday for sabbath reasons). also, the parking lot was a little icy/snowy. so people were leaving carts all over the place: jammed up on curbs, in parking spots, behind or pushed up against other cars, anywhere they could dump them. the poor little old guy (he's a little slow, or learning impared, or whatever the term is) whose job it is to collect them and bring them back to the front of the store was having a difficult time getting them out from between some cars and off of curbs, so i took a minute to help him out. i even stopped people from pulling into a few spots so he could grab them out first.

i got some nasty looks, and i learned a few new words in yiddish today, but i did good. :) apparently, i'm number 1 to some folks there. :D

jes' don't go offerin' her any aspic, right chief? :cool:

:D

i helped the guy that collects the shopping carts in the parking lot of a supermarket today. it was a madhouse there today, both because it was the super bowl and also because they have a large kosher section and it was a sunday (it's always busy there on sunday for sabbath reasons). also, the parking lot was a little icy/snowy. so people were leaving carts all over the place: jammed up on curbs, in parking spots, behind or pushed up against other cars, anywhere they could dump them. the poor little old guy (he's a little slow, or learning impared, or whatever the term is) whose job it is to collect them and bring them back to the front of the store was having a difficult time getting them out from between some cars and off of curbs, so i took a minute to help him out. i even stopped people from pulling into a few spots so he could grab them out first.

i got some nasty looks, and i learned a few new words in yiddish today, but i did good. :) apparently, i'm number 1 to some folks there. :D

Kudos to you, BT. You're number 1 to a host of people around here too.

I had a lady knock on my door asking for money for food for her children. I see so many beggers buy alcohol with their money so I gave her a bag of groceries instead. Hope I did the right thing.

I stayed up half the night with a sick dog so TB could get some sleep and be rested for work today.

To be honest I was up the first half the night with my own pain, but sounds more giving if I leave that part out. ;)

I had a lady knock on my door asking for money for food for her children. I see so many beggers buy alcohol with their money so I gave her a bag of groceries instead. Hope I did the right thing.

You did the right thing, Snip. We can only hope and pray that she did! :)

You did the right thing, Snip. We can only hope and pray that she did! :)

I really hope she did too. So many people beg here by us and most spend the money on alcohol. Some even stand outside the bottle store and beg and go right inside once they have money and some have children with them!!!! I feel so sorry for the kids. I prefer to give food rather than give cash.
I know I'm ranting but it makes me soooooo angry :mad:

lol, chief.

hey, wait, which finger are you holding up as #1? :ermm: :huh:

snip, you did more the right thing. you did the right thing the right way. :)

Back
Top Bottom