"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-09-2011, 05:20 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Maybe so... I can't say that for your particular area, but good luck in your search!

Old 05-12-2011, 12:48 PM   #22
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasty food View Post
so brand stores usually sell bad meat. i have to go to local markets and pay some more to get quality meats?

there's so much that goes on w/ meats; some places trim the garbage from meats & then re-package them w/ new dates on them, or dye them so they appear bright. some combine old meat w/ new & re-grind it. they wash fish w/ vinegar to make it seem fresher. oh, it's absurd.
the places where i purchse from, the food is consistantly fresh, & i'm gratful for that.
could you locate a repuatable butcher? if you get in well w/ 1, they'll work w/ you often on the cost of the foods.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:53 PM   #23
Senior Cook

You'll get plenty of inspiration from this forum. There are so many delicious simple recipes you can try if you're not so confident in the kitchen.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:58 PM   #24
Master Chef

Quote:
i need to ask this question. how can you be sure that meat you get isnt spoiled? this is another reason why i dont cook a lot. grocery stores around here sell spoiled meat. about half their meat, or even more, is spoiled. almost everytime i get chicken it's spoiled. just now i got some chicken and 3 beef steaks on sale. 2 of the steaks were good (one was brown in the middle), and none of the chicken legs were good.

i looked online on how to look for good meat. for chicken the color has to be red/pink, not grey or brown. and when you buy the chicken it cant have a slimy feeling to it. the thing is, most of the chicken in the stores i go to cover their chicken with a lot of labels, so i cant really see i can barely see if the chicken is grey. they dont do that with beef or lamb.

is there something i'm missing? even if i go when grocery stores restock (wednesday) they still have suspiciuos looking meat. do i have to go somewhere else?
It's hard to believe that in the San Diego area you're having such a shocking issue with spoiled meat! Where do your neighbors shop? Do they say the same thing? Have you talked with the store managers?
I know you have the same Von's, Ralphs, Alberston's supermarkets down there that I have up here, and I have never ever had a fresh meat issue with any of them. Are you shopping at an independent market?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:51 PM   #25
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
so brand stores usually sell bad meat. i have to go to local markets and pay some more to get quality meats?

ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Most major supermarket chains sell fresh or properly cared for meats. If the market you shop at sells spoiled, never go there again. Try other markets.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:07 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I once bought liver on special at a supermarket. When I got it home, it had an iridescent greenish hue. I brought it back to the store. The butcher heard the word liver and asked for the package. Without even bothering to look at the meat, he simply handed me a larger package of liver and apologized.

Have you ever tried bringing the bad meat back to the store?
Old 05-12-2011, 06:15 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

If I got bad meat more than once from a store I would also report them to the Health Department.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:52 PM   #28
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
If I got bad meat more than once from a store I would also report them to the Health Department.
Absolutely !!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:46 PM   #29
Assistant Cook

just now i made that cut up steak recipe Claire said, it's on the bottom of page 1. didn't taste good at all. the beef barely had any taste to it but it wasnt good. can someone explain to me what was wrong

first of all, i checked between the beef as i was cutting it and some of it had little shades of brown, not a whole lot, i've dealt with this before cooking lamb and it didnt make it taste bad.

i froze the 2 steaks on monday, took one out for today, thawed in the fridge. chopped onions, tomatoes, green bell peppers, and a small piece of a serrano pepper. sauteed them in 1 tbsp oil, then added seasoned salt, pepper, cumin, and paprika. mixed everything for about 30 seconds. then i added some water, beef broth, chiptole sauce, and tomato sauce. cooked everything in the same pan so it wasnt a lot to boil. so after that i get it to a boil, then simmer, then taste if it's good and it wasnt.

luckily i have my new bacon and cheese sandwich :)
Old 05-12-2011, 11:49 PM   #30
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
just now i made that cut up steak recipe Claire said, it's on the bottom of page 1. didn't taste good at all. the beef barely had any taste to it but it wasnt good. can someone explain to me what was wrong

i froze the 2 steaks on monday, took one out for today, thawed in the fridge. chopped onions, tomatoes, green bell peppers, and a small piece of a serrano pepper. sauteed them in 1 tbsp oil, then added seasoned salt, pepper, cumin, and paprika. mixed everything for about 30 seconds. then i added some water, beef broth, chiptole sauce, and tomato sauce. cooked everything in the same pan so it wasnt a lot to boil. so after that i get it to a boil, then simmer, then taste if it's good and it wasnt.

luckily i have my new bacon and cheese sandwich :)
I think you have lost your taste for beef.

Tags
meals