"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-13-2011, 12:00 AM   #31
Assistant Cook

i hope that's a joke, cause i still eat burgers like a madman :)

Old 05-13-2011, 02:59 PM   #32
Master Chef

Tasty Food, I just looked at Claire's idea for you, and while it sounds good to me, you may not like the taste of cumin. I really like cumin myself, but I have friends who really hate the flavor of it, and say it tastes like dirty socks smell. Perhaps that was your problem.

Could you please address my questions here?

Quote:
It's hard to believe that in the San Diego area you're having such a shocking issue with spoiled meat! Where do your neighbors shop? Do they say the same thing? Have you talked with the store managers?
I know you have the same Von's, Ralphs, Alberston's supermarkets down there that I have up here, and I have never ever had a fresh meat issue with any of them. Are you shopping at an independent market?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 05:40 PM   #33
Master Chef

bulk/extend meals by using extra veggies, rice, & pastas like ditalini, orzo, macaroni, & also by making gravies. serve bread.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:14 PM   #34
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Tasty Food, I just looked at Claire's idea for you, and while it sounds good to me, you may not like the taste of cumin. I really like cumin myself, but I have friends who really hate the flavor of it, and say it tastes like dirty socks smell. Perhaps that was your problem.

Could you please address my questions here?
Where do your neighbors shop? Do they say the same thing? - dont know my neighbors that well. we live in apartments. we dont really talk to each other. but i have seen a few of them in the same places i go to.

Have you talked with the store managers? - no

I know you have the same Von's, Ralphs, Alberston's supermarkets down there that I have up here, and I have never ever had a fresh meat issue with any of them. Are you shopping at an independent market? - i dont know what an independent grocery store would look like. would they be outside like farmer markets? the ones i go to are regular sized grocery stores.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:44 PM   #35
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasty food View Post
Where do your neighbors shop? Do they say the same thing? - dont know my neighbors that well. we live in apartments. we dont really talk to each other. but i have seen a few of them in the same places i go to. Spoiled meat in your local stores would be a good reason to start a conversation, and get some interaction with your neighbors.

Have you talked with the store managers? - no WHY is that?

I know you have the same Von's, Ralphs, Alberston's supermarkets down there that I have up here, and I have never ever had a fresh meat issue with any of them. Are you shopping at an independent market? - i dont know what an independent grocery store would look like. would they be outside like farmer markets? the ones i go to are regular sized grocery stores. An independent market would be a privately owned (usually small) grocery store, rather than a supermarket. I ask because they don't have to answer to corporate quality control, however they certainly have to answer to Health Dept standards.

Old 05-14-2011, 02:54 PM   #36
Assistant Cook

i just got a steak, chicken legs, and cube steak. these babies better turn out good.

btw, i saw youtube video on "how to look for fresh meat", i'm not sure if it was sarcasm, but at the end of the video it showed what looked like spoiled meat, but said it was ok to eat? it's supposed to be TASTE BETTER!
Old 05-14-2011, 03:01 PM   #37
Certified Pretend Chef

That's not sarcasm. She's talking about aged meats. Aged meats (aged in proper conditions of temperature and humidity) will taste better due to the actions of enzymes within the meat acting on the muscle to tenderize it. In addition, it will naturally lose some moisture, concentrating the flavors.

She did say something about the 'blood' in the meat turning from red to brown. The red juices in meat are not blood but liquified proteins from within the cells that happen to be reddish.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:53 AM   #38
Assistant Cook

I suggest you buy a slow cooker. You just spend 10 mins in the morning getting things ready and then at the end of the day a few more mins making the rice
Old 05-15-2011, 04:35 PM   #39
Master Chef

aged meat is an item of beauty. rare to obtain, & delicious.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:58 PM   #40
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvs View Post
aged meat is an item of beauty. rare to obtain, & delicious.
However that is true for beef only, luvs.

Many of you know I was raised in a "mom and pop" small grocery/meat market. I used to joke that I didn't have a red steak till I was grown, as the dark steaks were always for our table because Dad couldn't sell them. Like in the video, if I can find a dark steak in the sale bin of the Supermarket, I'm a happy girl.

Tags
meals